Why Jeb Bush's Turn May Not Come
by Jonah Goldberg
What is happening to the Nigerian girls kidnapped by Boko Haram is tragic. The sinking of the Titanic, the fall of
The New Yorker cartoons write themselves. Bush, in all his blue-blazered glory, sitting next to, well, just about anyone at a bar (or standing in front of the Pearly Gates, or lying on a psychiatrist's couch, or visiting the complaints department) lamenting that he never got his turn. Or maybe he'd wear a shirt saying, "My Dad and My Brother Lived at the
Of course, that's not actually all Bush got. He was a successful two-term
And I doubt he ever will.
It's well known that Republicans tend to pick the candidate whose "turn" it is. Except for 1964 and 2000, the guy who came in second the last time or who in some way was perceived as next in line got the nomination.
This raises an important challenge for
But all this misses the main source of
George the Younger had it a bit easier being a born-again Christian from
This is a lesson many on the right seem incapable of learning, which is why every primary season we see half a dozen right-wingers battling for the title of "purest conservative," while the moderate candidates fight merely for the title of "conservative enough."
Reasonable people can debate his stances, but trust me when I say the base feels decidedly unwooed.
His brother and his father understood that the
Available at Amazon.com:
More AMERICAN POLITICS ...
- The Six Principles of the New Populism
- Bergdahl Swap A Retro Moment in the New Cold War
- Bowe Bergdahl and Negotiating with Terrorists
- Advice for Presidential GOP Candidates: Do Your Homework
- Obama Defends Tenacious Foreign Policy Moderation
- On Presidential Firings
- 'Obama: Like a Boss' -- Bumper Sticker for a True Chicagoan
- Enough Slaughter
- In Hyperpartisan America, There's No Room for Compassion
- Whatever Happened to Free-Speech Panic?
- Democrats Struggle to Get Voters Interested in Midterm Elections
- Karl Rove Stirs the Pot with Hillary Clinton Inuendo
- Karl Rove's Boneheaded Swipe at Hillary Clinton
- Hillary's Dilemma: How to Distance Herself from Obama
- Why Jeb Bush's Turn May Not Come
- Criminal Wrongdoing and the CIA
- Politics Have Trumped Ethics in the Obama Administration
- VA Scandal Offers Obama's Critics Yet More Ammunition
- Scapegoats Won't Cure VA's Ills
- The VA, the NHS and Choice
- Reading the Republican Primary Leaves
- Midterm Elections May Seal Fate of Obama's Legacy
- Hillary Clinton's Health Matters
- Hillary Clinton's 'Social Gospel' Good Enough for Democrats
- Obama's Immigration Reform in Need of Reforming
- Beating The Dead Horse Called Benghazi
- Don't Tune Out the Newest Benghazi Developments
- Free Speech Not So Free When Discussing Gay Rights
- GOP Hopefuls Seek Inner-City Education
- For D.C. Insiders, Name of the Game is Getting the 'Get'
- Government Waste: Where Has All the Money Gone?
- Obama Defends His Foreign Policy Doctrine
- Why Women -- and Voters -- Prefer Jerks to Fops
- It's Time to Show Our Veterans Some Love
- Justice for All, Except Those Too Big to Jail
- Just Don't Call It 'Reparations'
- John Paul Stevens Proposes New Constitutional Amendments
- Cliven Bundy's Towering Tantrum of Entitlement
- Class Warfare Endures as Preferred Political Strategy
- Harry Reid Has Become McCarthy for Our Time
Article: Copyright © 2014, Tribune Content Agency
"Why Jeb Bush's Turn May Not Come"