What Fox News Is Not
Leonard Pitts Jr.
A few words on what
The question has, of course, been debated forever. Fox says it is, as the name would suggest, a news network. Its critics say it is actually the propaganda arm of the
As it happens, one of the biggest news stories of the past few weeks has been the phone-hacking scandal that now ensnares media baron
That's led to the shutdown of the 168-year-old newspaper, a spate of resignations and arrests, hearings in Parliament, rumored hearings in
Now, let us be fair and balanced here.
Fox is owned by Murdoch, and the last thing any news organization wants is to be in the awkward position of reporting on itself. To have to air that which might embarrass or damage colleagues or bosses is the definition of a no-win situation, especially since there will always be doubts, from within and without, about your ability to do so fairly. But when professionalism demands, this is what you do.
Fox's failure to report -- and allow viewers to decide -- speaks volumes and offers a definitive answer to the question of what Fox is.
It is the nation's leading manufacturer of false outrage and fake fury -- War on Christmas! War on Christmas! -- the top supplier of bogeymen for those who need to feel terrorized in order to feel alive.
It is America's No. 1 distributor of misinformation -- Hide Nana! The death panels are coming! -- a warehouse of conspiracy theories, junk history and dubious "facts" given credit by virtually no one who does not watch Fox.
It is a noisemaker, a box of cacophony from which reason will seldom emerge unscathed. And it is a bovine excreta machine.
But a news organization? No. That is a designation you have to earn.
Step 1: Report the news.
Read the latest political news.
- Americans Favor Tax Hikes on Wealthy to Reduce Nation's Debt
- 78 Percent of Americans Dissatisfied with Government
- Standard and Poor's Downgrade Not Likely to End Partisan Gridlock
- America Forced to Swallow 'Satan Sandwich'
- Tightening the Pentagon's Belt
- The Only Social Security Reform Worth Considering
- Shock Study: U.S. Flag Only Boosts GOP
- For These Republicans, There's Only One Problem: Obama
- Obama Should Take a Lesson from George H.W. Bush
- Is the President in Recovery?
- Will Debt Deal Cost Obama His Liberal Base?
- Is the Tea Party Over?
- Debt Ceiling Stalemate Illustrates the Tea Party's Reality Gap
- Should You Talk Politics Online?
- Talkin' About Your Generation
- Spare Us the Sermons Mr. President
- Don't Assume the Hispanic Vote Is a Democratic Lock
- Political Will for Corporate Tax Reform Reaching Critical Mass
- Democrats Get Ready for Next Debt Fight
- America Downgraded!
- Who Stands for Americans?
- Along with Lack of Jobs, A Wage Problem
- What The Economy Looks Like at Stall Speed
- The Empathy Deficit
- Crisis of Confidence: Debt Debate Erodes US Global Standing
- What Fox News Is Not
- Obama Is No LBJ
- Partisanship Run Amok Obama Is Out of Options
- 2012 Elections: Reagan Playbook No Longer Applies
- Alec Baldwin Going Back To School To Become Mayor Of NYC
- The Terminology of Taxation
- United States Debt Downgrade Won't Have Much Short-Term Effect on Foreign Policy
- Global Economic Downturn: A Crisis of Political Economy
- United States Economy A Pyramid Scheme
- Raising Debt Ceiling United States Avoids Default
- China Expresses Disgust Over United States Debt Deal
- Debt Ceiling Deal Could Threaten Economic Recovery
- Congress's Spending Debate Won't End With Debt Ceiling
- Debt Deal: Ransom Paid
- Debt Deal - Bold Step; Wrong Direction
- Debt Deal: One-Sided Compromise
- Debt Deal: A Satanic Deal for Debt Fighters
- Obama Signs Compromise Debt Ceiling Bill
- Debt Deal Puts Off Hard Choices for Now
- Senate Set to Give Final Approval to Debt Ceiling Bill
- Despite Debt Deal, Prolonged Deadlock Caused Political Damage
- Who Won the Debt Ceiling Standoff?
- GOP 2012 Contenders Criticize Debt Deal
- Florida Rejects Grants from Affordable Care Act
- Media Takeaways From the Latest Round of Scandals
- Michele Bachmann's 'Submerged' Benefits
- Fight Over Financial Safeguards: Another Front In The Partisan Warfare
- Green, Shovel-Ready Stimulus -- 100 Years Ago
- When Politics Stop Working
- Conservative Appeals Court Judge Paves the Way for Affordable Health Care
- New Fears EPA Smog Rule Will Cost 7.3 Million Jobs
- Eroding the Social Contract
- Can 'Gang of Six' Save the Day on Debt Ceiling?
- Do We Need the Debt Ceiling?
- The Ideologue in the Oval Office
- The Rise of the Wrecking-Ball Right
- Many Ideas for Job Creation, but Little Action
- Eliminating Mortgage Interest Deduction Could Further Hobble Housing Recovery
- War Fatigue and the Un-Critical Critics of War
- Obama's Expanded Militarism
- Obama's Bush-League World
- Debt Fight Reinforces China's Negative Views of America
- Rupert Murdoch's Legacy -- Greater Press Controls
- Military-Industrial Journalism
- On Journalistic Credibility
- Another Blow to Journalism's Image
- 5 Ways Michele Bachmann Can Win 2012 Swing Voters
- A Religious Test for 2012?
- EPA Budget and Power Under Attack from Republicans
- GOP Takes Dead Aim on EPA
- The Question is Jobs
- Panetta's Gaffe
- Declaring a National Emergency
- The Federal Debt Limit Debate: A Leadership Opportunity
- Millionaires and Billionaires
- The Presidency Matters, But How Much Does Obama?
- Obama's Reagan Parallels Are Falling Away
- The President's Jobs Plan
- Budget Debate Has Troublesome Historical Underpinnings
- It's Back! The Misery Index Rides Again
- Handling Big Contradictions
- Why Are We Afraid to Cross the Lines that Divide Us?
- Bernie Sanders: Make the Rich Pay Off the Deficit
- The Free Market Fails at Food Safety
- The Growing Desperation of the Don't-Raise-Taxes-on-the-Rich Crowd
- If Not This, Then What Are Our Taxes Paying For?
- Debt Limit Irresponsibility
- Debt Ceiling Deal Could Mean Social Security Cuts
- The Tax Cuts for the Rich Again
- Stand-Up Time for Obama
- President Obama's Balancing Act
- New Jersey Miracle: What About the Rest of Us?
- For 2012 Republicans: The Economy Trumps the Culture War
- Michele Bachmann's Beginnings
- GOP Attacking Americans' Right to Vote
- Marco Rubio: Ready for Political Primetime
- 'Mortal Kombat' and the First Amendment
- The Unethical Clarence Thomas
- On Humanitarianism: Is Helping Others Charity or Duty or Both?
- Does Obama Have a Grand Strategy?
- How Health Care Can Save or Sink America
Available at Amazon.com:
What Fox News Is Not | Politics
(c) 2011 TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.