Time to Listen to the Other America
"He's still alive man, call the cops!"
But it was the cops who had just shot the man, seen in the YouTube video lying face down in an
The video, and the outrage it sparked, is central to four nights of rioting that rocked the
The man later died at the hospital. In an unrelated incident, police shot and killed another man the next night.
This is one view of America. A view far removed from the banal rhetoric beginning to define this presidential election -- and from the worldview of the media industry that is supposed to cover such things.
Get to know it. Because the discontent in
The man mentioned above who lay wounded as bystanders screamed for police to help him was
Outraged over the deaths, hundreds of protesters marched to an already packed
In a further irony, a brilliant fireworks display at Disneyland, that sacred ground of American consumer order, illuminated protesters and the police in riot gear confronting them. Same planet, different universe.
In parts of
The family of Diaz (who police say had gang affiliations) has sued the city, charging civil rights violations and wrongful death. The family alleges that police shot the unarmed man in the back of the head after he was already immobilized by a shot to the leg. An autopsy hasn't been released yet.
In widely publicized comments, the family's attorney channeled concerns heard in just about every major city in America.
"There's a social component to this, which is both racial and economic. Let's face facts here: White kids in a rich white neighborhoods don't get rousted by the police, and when they do, they don't have to fear the police, but that's not true with brown kids in a poor neighborhood," said
"Frankly, when it's brown kids in a poor area just standing there having a conversation, it's considered suspicious."
Little good ever comes from the sort of rioting that
It's a dangerous thing when whole swaths of a community become so disenchanted with their status that they are willing to lash out as a mob.
Frustration is afoot in America.
Read the latest political news.
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
- 2012 Elections: 100 Days is a Long Time
- Truth Meets the Gaffe Factory
- The Election, the Presidency and Foreign Policy
- Tax Cut Kabuki
- De-Bushing Mitt Romney
- Texas GOP Wages War on Thinking
- Time to Listen to the Other America
- President Obama: You're No Bill Clinton
- What's Behind Hatred of Obama?
- Cleaning Up Campaign Finance
- Supreme Court, Inc.
- His So-called 'Post-Racial' Presidency
- The Terrible Economy and the Anti-Election of 2012
- Marching Toward Greater Inequality
- The Rich Grabbing Bigger Slices of Pie
- Turning College Students into a Commodity
- My Quest for 'Commonsense' Gun Laws
- Gun Lobby Fires Up Obama Fear
- One Nation, Under the Gun
- The Persistent Threat to Soft Targets
- Romney Opens Mouth, Only to Make a Joke of Himself
- Green Scissors for Congress
- The Truth About Obama's Tax Proposal (And The Lies Some are Telling About It)
- Mitt Romney Stays Mum on Tax Avoidance
- Condi Rice Rumor Reveals Divisions in Romney Camp and on the Right
- The African-American Swing State
- Mitt Romney's Tour Starts in Wrong Place
- Teen Assailed for Outgrowing Conservatism
Time to Listen to the Other America | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.