The Six Principles of the New Populism
by Robert B. Reich
We're five years into a so-called recovery that's been a bonanza for the rich but a bust for the middle class, which is fueling a new populism. "The game is rigged and the American people know that. They get it right down to their toes," says
Left- and right-wing populists remain deeply divided over the role of government. Even so, the major fault line in American politics seems to be shifting, from Democrat vs. Republican to populist vs. establishment -- those who think the game is rigged vs. those who do the rigging.
The two sides are coming together around six principles:
1. Cut the biggest
2. Resurrect the Glass-Steagall Act
Separate investment from commercial banking and thereby preventing companies from gambling with their depositors' money.
3. End corporate welfare
This includes subsidies to big oil, big agribusiness, big pharma,
4. Stop the
5. Scale back American interventions overseas.
Populists on the left have long been uncomfortable with American forays overseas. Paul is leaning in the same direction. He also tends toward conspiratorial views about American interventionism, claiming that former Vice President
6. Oppose trade agreements crafted by big corporations.
Tea partiers continue their battle against establishment Republicans in Republican primaries. But the major test will come in 2016, when both parties pick their presidential candidates.
Cruz and Paul are already vying to take on Republican establishment favorites
Warren says she won't run in the Democratic primaries, presumably against
Dozens of major
Says a top
But if current trends continue, some similar "nightmare" is likely coming within the decade. If the American establishment wants to remain the establishment, it will need to respond to the anxiety that's fueling the new populism rather than fight it.
Available at Amazon.com:
More AMERICAN POLITICS ...
- The Politics of Hillary's Email Problem
- Kissing the Koch Ring
- This Trade Deal Will Make You Sick
- The Nincompoop Caucus Sets a Record
- Giuliani: Nutball or Sleazeball?
- Obama's Last National Security Strategy
- Taking on 'Mayor 1 Percent'
- When Bibi Came to Town
- 10 Reasons I'm Praying for AIPAC's Decline
- Bashing Obama to Make Way for Hillary
- The Six Principles of the New Populism
- Bergdahl Swap A Retro Moment in the New Cold War
- Bowe Bergdahl and Negotiating with Terrorists
- Advice for Presidential GOP Candidates: Do Your Homework
- Obama Defends Tenacious Foreign Policy Moderation
- On Presidential Firings
- 'Obama: Like a Boss' -- Bumper Sticker for a True Chicagoan
- Enough Slaughter
- In Hyperpartisan America, There's No Room for Compassion
- Whatever Happened to Free-Speech Panic?
- Democrats Struggle to Get Voters Interested in Midterm Elections
- Karl Rove Stirs the Pot with Hillary Clinton Inuendo
- Karl Rove's Boneheaded Swipe at Hillary Clinton
- Hillary's Dilemma: How to Distance Herself from Obama
- Why Jeb Bush's Turn May Not Come
- Criminal Wrongdoing and the CIA
- Politics Have Trumped Ethics in the Obama Administration
- VA Scandal Offers Obama's Critics Yet More Ammunition
- Scapegoats Won't Cure VA's Ills
- The VA, the NHS and Choice
- Reading the Republican Primary Leaves
- Midterm Elections May Seal Fate of Obama's Legacy
- Hillary Clinton's Health Matters
- Hillary Clinton's 'Social Gospel' Good Enough for Democrats
- Obama's Immigration Reform in Need of Reforming
- Beating The Dead Horse Called Benghazi
- Don't Tune Out the Newest Benghazi Developments
- Free Speech Not So Free When Discussing Gay Rights
- GOP Hopefuls Seek Inner-City Education
- For D.C. Insiders, Name of the Game is Getting the 'Get'
- Government Waste: Where Has All the Money Gone?
- Obama Defends His Foreign Policy Doctrine
- Why Women -- and Voters -- Prefer Jerks to Fops
- It's Time to Show Our Veterans Some Love
- Justice for All, Except Those Too Big to Jail
- Just Don't Call It 'Reparations'
- John Paul Stevens Proposes New Constitutional Amendments
- Cliven Bundy's Towering Tantrum of Entitlement
- Class Warfare Endures as Preferred Political Strategy
- Harry Reid Has Become McCarthy for Our Time
Article: Copyright © 2015, Tribune Content Agency
"The Six Principles of the New Populism"