The Stossel Solution
In order to get the correct answer to anything, one must ask the right question. That is what former
Stossel's show on
In part it's because politicians speak only in poll-tested sound bites and rarely focus on what works. It isn't as if we don't have a history that can teach us. We know what works, but politicians too often prefer the issue to the solution. That's where Stossel comes in.
At the top of the program Stossel established the underlying foundation of his libertarian philosophy when it comes to government vs. private industry: "...even though the private sector is more efficient, politicians and bureaucrats usually won't let go. They want their tentacles on everything. And the public is usually happy to go along, because we're imprinted to believe the specialists in
One of his guests was
Daniels said he invokes what he calls "the Yellow Pages test. If it's in there, then conceivably government shouldn't be doing it itself."
And the result? "The result," said Daniels, "is we're repairing bridges, building roads. We're the only state with a building boom in infrastructure and it didn't cost the taxpayers a nickel."
Re-read that last sentence and then ask yourself why the federal government still sees itself as the primary builder of roads and bridges when it costs more and delivers less. This is a real solution to a nagging problem. Why isn't it more widely embraced? Refer to Stossel's previous answer about government: "They want their tentacles on everything." They're about power. The rest of the country wants results, which they must have in order for their businesses to survive and prosper.
Contrast this with freight trains, O'Toole says, which once were regulated by the government and are now competitive in the private market. Costs, he says, have gone down for freight.
If results and not political outcomes or rehearsed sound bites become the primary objective in our political discourse, it's difficult to refute the arguments coming from Stossel's show. Instead of focusing on the familiar talking points from politicians,
Read the latest political news.
- Romney Opens Mouth, Only to Make a Joke of Himself
- Green Scissors for Congress
- The Truth About Obama's Tax Proposal (And The Lies Some are Telling About It)
- Mitt Romney Stays Mum on Tax Avoidance
- Condi Rice Rumor Reveals Divisions in Romney Camp and on the Right
- The African-American Swing State
- Mitt Romney's Tour Starts in Wrong Place
- Teen Assailed for Outgrowing Conservatism
- Obama's Outsourcing Ad is Demagogic Populism
- Campaign on Cruise Control
- Mitt Romney's No-Brainer
- No Loonies Need Apply for GOP Vice-President
- Mitt Romney's Veepstakes Mania
- Mitt Romney's Hidden NAACP Audience
- The Subject Straight-Shooting Mitt Romney Doesn't Dare Address
- The Sham Battle For The Black Vote
- Mitt Romney and the NAACP
- Mitt Romney's Hysteria Bubble
- Our Voting Rights: Protect Them, Don't Reject Them
- A New Kind of Scrutiny on the Campaign Trail
- Older Voters' Disapproval of Affordable Care Act Selfish
- Affordable Care Act: Lifesaving Law
- The 'Freedom' to Refuse Health Insurance
- Shameless Tax Loopholes
- 7 Habits of Highly Ineffective Government
- Co-sponsoring Your Success
- The Escalator of Success (Next Time Take the Stairs)
- Weeding Out Phony Warriors
- The Numbers Game
- The Stossel Solution
- The War on Soda Pop
- Cutting Pentagon Fat
- Don't Expand NAFTA
- 21 Trillion Dollars Hidden in Tax Havens
- The True Meaning of Patriotism
- Year of the Gaffe
- Sabotaging Montana's Campaign Finance Legacy
- Taxing Mitt Romney's Consistency
- Mitt Romney's Worst Enemy
The Stossel Solution | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.