The GOP's Civil War Stumbles On
You can see that big divide most recently in such events as the Tea Party Express' staging its own rebuttal to President Obama's State of the Union Address, even though Republicans already had booked a tea party favorite, Sen.
Tea Party Express chose
Elsewhere you can see the divide in the new
Created by American Crossroads, which consultant
In other words, they want to avoid earnest but hopelessly doomed
Although those are the type of
He's an "establishment" guy who raised hundreds of millions of dollars from deep-pocket donors and "had jack to show for it," fumed
Rove is "a total loser," scoffed
For more invective, see the Twitter hash tag #CrushRove.
Welcome to the circular firing squad that inevitably assembles after a party has suffered a big loss. Some say, "We were too extreme" while others argue, "We weren't extreme enough."
Republican National Committee Chair
To Democrats, the feud may bring to mind the sentiments that former Secretary of State
No wonder the biggest fear of the party establishment is that tea partiers will stage another big comeback in 2014 midterm elections, as they did in 2010, and learn all of the wrong lessons from it.
Even though the turnout in mid-terms is much smaller, older and more conservative than it is in presidential election years, as one Republican operative told me recently, the right wing might well "get the wrong message that they don't have to change -- and we get clobbered again in 2016."
Nevertheless, this is a soul-searching process that the
Until now, attacking President Obama was all it took to unify the party's factions. Now the factions are attacking each other. Before they can take their argument about the country's direction to the Democrats, they first need to settle it among themselves.
Read the latest political news.
- Gilded Class Warriors
- 'Assassination Memo' a First Step in Setting New Warfare Parameters
- The Double Threats
- Rush to the Defense? Not So Fast
- Why Annihilate the GOP?
- A New GOP, or Just A Cosmetic Touchup?
- Government Spending That Isn't Smart
- Obama's Second Coming
- Operation Hubris
- Can the GOP Escape Its Bubble
- Leave Liberal Hollywood to the Liberals
- Can GOP's Local Success Translate to Federal Level?
- United States Shouldn't Create Underclass of Immigrants
- Rubio vs an Invisible Obama
- Marco Rubio's Problem Wasn't the Water
- Rubio and the GOP's Thirst for Leadership
- The GOP's Civil War Stumbles On
- Two Cheers for Republican Rebranding
- Obama's Blunt Challenge to Congress
- Conservative Business Leaders Should Widen Their Scope
- Calling Out Bugnut Idiocy
- No Easy Answers for Gun Woes
- A Time to Resist
- Recycling Old and Failed Ideas
- Obama: An Energized Lame Duck
- Obama's Place in History Already Assured
- Obama's License to Kill by Drone
- Drone Double Standard
- Torture Helped Get bin Laden?
- Let Us Prey
- A Message to Obama, Served Cold
- Government Should Not Define 'Church'
- Where The Buck Still Stops
- Republicans Make Nice, But Are Their Hearts True?
- Incoherent Immigration Reform
- The Eye Doctor and the 'I' Pol
- 60 Minutes' Missed Opportunity
- Obama and Rubio: A Study in Contrasts
- State of the Union, At Home and Abroad
- The Minimum Wage and The Meaning of a Decent Society
- The Hoax of Austerity Economics
- Diplomacy: Lying Politely
- United States and Israel Push The Boundaries of International Law
- Pentagon Keyboard Jockeys Can Now Out-Decorate Combat Heroes
- One Day The World Will Thank Bush For Shaking Up The Arab Region
- Has Obama Kept His Open-Government Pledge?
- State of the Union Allows Presidents to Outline Agenda
- State of the Union Address Likely to Focus on Domestic Issues
- Obama Again Offers to Negotiate Big Deficit Deal
- Immigration Reform Plan is a Farce
- The GOP Crack-up and Obama's Unraveling of the Republican Coalition
- GOP: Rest in Peace?
- A Time to Build
- Obama's Challenge
- Obama's Debt-Ceiling Strategy Could Put The Squeeze on GOP
- Obama's Battle Hymn of the Republic
- Why I'm Singing the Inauguration Blues
- Obama's Inaugural Address Not Progressive Enough
- Taking Joe Biden Seriously
The GOP's Civil War Stumbles On | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc