The French View of The Petraeus Sex Scandal
French public reaction to American CIA Director Gen.
Let's go back in time for some context.
The French never understood why President
As disinterested as the French may seem about top-level politicians' sexual dalliances, they're ultimately far less accepting of the results. Former French President
Similarly, the French were happy to ignore former
It's not as if the French typically have the option of paying attention to such things before they spin out of control. The French media is prohibited by law from publishing personal or private details about a public figure without the public figure's permission. Even when sex merges with a scandal that happens to be in the public interest, French jurisprudence mandates that anything belonging to the private realm must be carefully parsed out of all media coverage.
So, essentially, the French are cool with whatever public officials want to do sexually -- affairs or otherwise -- because they don't really have a choice, since their media are prohibited from reporting such things. If they eventually do find out about such an incident, there won't be any fallout from it unless the misbehavior was accompanied by gross incompetence and not just a lack of productivity.
And here's where the Petraeus affair becomes a very interesting case for the French. Chatter is divided between those who feel Petraeus should be able to sleep with whomever he wants because he has demonstrated competence in his job, and those who believe the case demonstrates incompetence on Petraeus' part by potentially compromising national security.
While French presidents such as Mitterrand,
When your wife throws a lamp at your head, it's your own personal business. But when the FBI has to step in to untangle your "Love Pentagon" and offers you a sword on which to fall, and you can't imagine anything short of swan-diving on it, then things have reached the point of no return. The French book tour awaits, Mon Général!
Read the latest political news.
- Corporate Bosses Gone Berserk
- The Trojan Horse in the Debt Debate
- The Real Problem with Military Spending
- Without Unity, We'll Tumble Over the Fiscal Cliff
- The Classy Election of 2012
- Karl Rove: The Biggest Loser in Politics
- Will the Supreme Court Dismantle the Voting Rights Act?
- The Pollution of Political Discourse
- The Sad State of Zealots with Microphones
- Mitt Romney's Uncertain Legacy
- Obama's Re-Election: Oh, We Forgot to Tell You ...
- Republicans and Democrats Playing Game of Economic Chicken
- Petraeus Yet Another High-Ranking Military Official Mired in Scandal
- David Petraeus: Sex and the City (of Washington)
- David Petraeus: What Obama Did Not Need to Know
- David Petraeus: The Public's Need to Know or Not
- The French View of The Petraeus Sex Scandal
- Mitt Romney's 'Gifts' Gaffe
- Mitt Romney Self-Destructs Again
- Ballot Measures Reveal Electorate No Longer in a Tea Partying Mood
- Real Facts Catch Up with the GOP Spin Doctors
- 2012 Election Results: Changing America
- 2012 Election Results: The Right Is Not Waving a White Flag
- Whither the GOP?
- GOP's Biggest Problem is Itself
- 2012 Election Results: Compassionate Conservatism Redux
- Election was a Turning Point for Latinos
- Republicans Need to Rethink Future; Latinos Here to Help
- 2012 Election Results: Once Again, Florida is the National Punchline
- GOP Defeated by Single Women
- 2012 Election Results: The Mandate
- 2012 Election Results: A Victory for Creatures of the State
- Let's Make Sure Every Vote Matters
- Obama Re-Elected as President
- Obama Victory Speech Talks About Reconciliation and Hope
- Romney Ends Presidential Run, Congratulates Obama's Election Win in Concession Speech
- GOP Retains House Majority But Democrats Keep Control of Senate
- Obama Re-election the Result of Increasingly Diverse Electorate
- Voters Said No to 'Politics of Pitchforks'
- Obama Presses On
- Four More Years of Decline
- An America Yet to Be Born
- Democrats' Medicare Offensive Falls Flat Against GOP
- Federal Deficit Talks Could Impact Obama's Moves On Health Law
- Groundhog Day in America
- 10 Reasons Latinos Voted for Obama
- The New American Civil War
- What's Next?
- Nate Silver's Numbers Racket
- Florida Voters Won't Be Fooled Again -- or Will We?
- A Date with History: The Cuban Missile Crisis
- United States Presidential Elections in Perspective
- Early Latino Turnout Could Swing Vote
- A Letter to Women Voters
- The Final Days, The Biggest Issue and The Clearest Choice
- Another Electoral College Nightmare?
- Why We're Still in Deep Trouble No Matter Who Wins The Presidency
- FEMA vs 'Romnesia'
- An Unscripted October Surprise
- Stormy Weather Politics
- Storm Saves Obama From Himself
The French View of The Petraeus Sex Scandal | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc