Brain-lock Inside the Beltway
It's at times like this I'm ashamed to admit I live inside the Beltway.
Well, that's probably not specific enough since I'm usually ashamed to admit I live inside the Beltway.
Still, the second you try to explain the stupidity of this "fiscal cliff" fiasco to a normal person, it makes
While there are some responsible politicians and policymakers in
Almost exactly a year ago, during the famed debt ceiling negotiations, Speaker of the House John Boehner boasted that he'd forced tough concessions from the Democrats, achieving the first real cut in government spending in ages. He claimed his "real, enforceable cut" amounted to
"Which of these numbers is accurate?" asked columnist
And he was right. At the time, the U.S. was spending
America already has a more progressive tax system than
Now here's a distinction that the first few hundred people in the
So the Republicans are, in fact, in favor of raising taxes by the rules of the real world. In exchange for doing this, they want the Democrats to deal with the real problem: spending. You could confiscate 100 percent of income over
But the Democrats want to do ... nothing. Or at least that's the position they seemed to be taking this week.
OK, here's the credit: That is about .09 percent of the deficit. Take .09 percent of a bow Harry.
As Republicans sort all that out, the guy who actually won the election by claiming he had a better plan hasn't proposed any plan at all. That's life in the Beltway for you.
Read the latest political news.
- Snake-Oil Deficit Savings
- The Fiscal Hoax
- Fiscal Cliff 'Grand Bargain' May Be Anything But
- Dodging the Fiscal Swindle
- Brain-lock Inside the Beltway
- Obama's Own Cliff
- 'Fiscal Cliff' Obscures Lack of Shared Sacrifice
- The Fiscal Cliff: False Fears and Horrors
- Taxpayers, Revolt!
- Republicans: The Party of No
- For Pete's Sake, What's Happened to Our Democracy?
- Let Obama be Obama
- Ascendant Hillary Clinton
- Right, Left Get Along -- Outside Washington
- If, At First, You Don't Secede...
- Republican Problems are About More than Just Packaging
- Marco Rubio: A Hispanic Reagan?
- Obama Needs a Family Plan
- An Unsightly Scrap Over Cabinet Nomination
- Throwing Rice: A GOP In-Crowd
- The Decline of Moderate Republicanism
- To Appeal to Black Voters, GOP Must Run Gauntlet of Racism Accusations
- BP is Not a Criminal
- When the Curtain Rises
- Mitt Romney's Own Gift
- The 'Land of Opportunity' is Becoming Hollywood Fiction
- Corporate Bosses Gone Berserk
- The Trojan Horse in the Debt Debate
- The Real Problem with Military Spending
- Without Unity, We'll Tumble Over the Fiscal Cliff
- The Classy Election of 2012
- Karl Rove: The Biggest Loser in Politics
- Will the Supreme Court Dismantle the Voting Rights Act?
- The Pollution of Political Discourse
Brain-lock Inside the Beltway | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc