The Decline of Party Power
No recent development has underlined the decline of political party clout more than beleaguered Senate Republican nominee
In spite of his asinine insistence that the female reproductive mechanism can somehow neutralize the pregnancy-creating sperm of a "legitimate" rapist, Akin has vowed to press on. He is bolstered by equally fervent anti-abortion organizations determined to show the Show Me State they are not to be denied.
His and their defiance of the abuse heaped on Akin, for bringing ridicule to a debate they consider almost sacred, has left
Even conservative America's airwaves oracle,
At a minimum, the episode only underscored Romney's leadership deficiency in his own party, and the inability of the Republican establishment to impose any discipline on an insignificant underling for the good of the party. It's abundantly clear now that the
There was a time in American politics when both major parties had sufficient internal unity and discipline to call on their followers, whether they went off the reservation or just "misspoke," to take the bullet for the wounded party. Sometimes the leadership came from high elected officials, sometimes from national, state or big-city political bosses threatening the wrath of the party if the errant one did not comply.
The denial of party support, in terms of financial help and organizational assistance in the campaigns of party candidates, was regarded as essential to survival and victory. Most political assistance was parceled out through the local, state or national party apparatus. But the development, and lately the blossoming, of non-party political operations and fat-cat contributors have made the parties toothless tigers in comparison their well-disciplined forebears.
Down through the years, strong party leaders and bosses -- Democrats from
Also, party national chairmen -- Democrats from
In earlier days, political self-sacrifice for the cause was expected, and often delivered. In 1975, a true Republican giant,
It is, to be sure, the misspeaking
Read the latest political news.
- Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll
- Character, Policy and the Selection of Leaders
- The Politicization of Violence
- The Selling of American Democracy: The Perfect Storm
- Erasing W
- Losing Latino Votes
- The Party is Over: Longtime GOPer Dissects Modern Political Landscape
- Paul Ryan's Faux Populism
- Rise Up, Middle Class, Rise Up!
- A Modest Proposal: Three Weeks of Paid Vacation
- The Paul Ryan Choice
- Mitt Romney's Misguided Blue-Collar Voting Bloc
- What Mitt Romney Could Do to Connect with Hispanics
- Romney and the Republican Club
- Hurricane Isaac's Impact on the GOP
- Five Things Romney Needs from GOP convention
- The Goldwater Legacy
- Mitt Romney Risks 'Hispanic Debacle' in November
- Mitt Romney Runs Away from his Running Mate
- Paul Ryan's Magical Thinking
- Mitt Romney Finds Love in the GOP
- What Ryan Says About Romney
- Romney-Ryan: Real change
- Obama vs Romney: Meanest campaign ever?
- That's Joe Biden
- Mitt, More Gaffes Like This, Please
- Muzzle Mitt Romney on Taxes Now?
- A Debate About Debates
- Decoding Mitt Romney's Odd Humor
- After Romney Birth Certificate Joke, Dems Play the Race Card
- The 'Boring' 2012 Presidential Campaign
- Mitt Romney's 'Welfare Queen'
- Mitt Romney's Opportunity
- We're All Subsidizing Free Lunches for America's CEOs
- Washington, Are You Listening?
- Class Warfare
- Indefensible: The Truth About Pentagon Spending
- David Barton's Make-Believe Version of American History
- Onward Christian 'Teavangelicals'
- Campaigns Touch Briefly on the Wars
- 'Mad Dog' Harry Reid
- Republican Woes with Women
- Rape, Patriarchy and the Bomb
- Akin Offers Unflattering Glimpse of Widely Shared Republican Attitudes
- Todd Akin's 'Legitimate' Pain
- Todd Akin's Idiocy is Infectious
- Todd Akin's Ignorance Hardly Unique
- The Decline of Party Power
- Trapping Season
- Mitt Romney's 'Zero-Percenters'
- No More Boring White Guys for the GOP
- Eating America's Seed Corn
- Romney and Ryan Project Vague Foreign Policy
- A Storied Presidency
- There is No California
- The Koch Brothers' Moonshine
- No Need for a Witch Hunt Over Executive Pay
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
The Decline of Party Power | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.