Some Companies Resorting to Extremes to Dodge Obamacare
For millions of Americans, all they really want for Christmas is decent health care coverage. It's a wish they've repeated over and over, and now it will come true. Obamacare has withstood the legal and political onslaught of its enemies. On
Americans of all ages, healthy and sick, will join their counterparts in every other advanced nation by having access to affordable health insurance. Hallelujah.
Joyous good tidings, indeed. But lurking in the background, like a modern-day Ebenezer Scrooge about to snatch the last lump of coal from Bob Cratchit's pitiful warming fire, are some of the nation's largest employers of low-wage workers plotting to make their employees' lives harder.
Think it's tough getting by on
In the most high profile case,
Under the Affordable Care Act, beginning in 2014, employers with 50 or more full-time employees must provide affordable health insurance to their workforce or pay a penalty of up to
For instance, Pillar Hotels & Resorts, a company that controls hundreds of franchise hotels, including Sheraton and
Part-time workers will get health care coverage, but you and I will pay for it. Under Obamacare, people making up to four times the federal poverty rate (
Remember how the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come in
Read the latest political news.
- Not So Merry Christmas For Congress and President
- John Boehner's 'Plan B' Gamble
- Republicans Would Rather Upgrade Afghan Infrastructure Than Our Own
- Who's Afraid of the Fiscal Cliff?
- The Kingdom of Fairness
- Never Ever, Ever, Ever...
- Obama Plays His High Cards
- Let The Real Fat Cats Pay Their Fair Share
- Tea Party Down But Not Out
- GOP Voter Suppression Continues
- How the GOP Can Blow Another Election
- The GOP -- Not a Club for Christians
- 'Amnesty' Not Looking So Bad to GOP
- Republicans: You Gotta Have Hope
- Federalism Could Be Solution to GOP Branding Problem
- Politicians: No Skin in the Game
- Goodbye, Senator Joe Lieberman
- Jim DeMint: A Senate loss or gain?
- A 'Right To' Words that Work
- Liberal Obsession with Race is Growing Old
- Some Companies Resorting to Extremes to Dodge Obamacare
- The Other Cliffs
- Take Care of the Children
- U.S. May Pay More Attention to Latin America in Obama's Second Term
- Snake-Oil Deficit Savings
- The Fiscal Hoax
- Fiscal Cliff 'Grand Bargain' May Be Anything But
- Dodging the Fiscal Swindle
- Brain-lock Inside the Beltway
- Obama's Own Cliff
- 'Fiscal Cliff' Obscures Lack of Shared Sacrifice
- The Fiscal Cliff: False Fears and Horrors
- Taxpayers, Revolt!
- Republicans: The Party of No
- For Pete's Sake, What's Happened to Our Democracy?
- Let Obama be Obama
- Ascendant Hillary Clinton
- Right, Left Get Along -- Outside Washington
- If, At First, You Don't Secede...
- Republican Problems are About More than Just Packaging
- Marco Rubio: A Hispanic Reagan?
- Obama Needs a Family Plan
- An Unsightly Scrap Over Cabinet Nomination
- Throwing Rice: A GOP In-Crowd
- The Decline of Moderate Republicanism
- To Appeal to Black Voters, GOP Must Run Gauntlet of Racism Accusations
- BP is Not a Criminal
- When the Curtain Rises
- Mitt Romney's Own Gift
- The 'Land of Opportunity' is Becoming Hollywood Fiction
- Corporate Bosses Gone Berserk
- The Trojan Horse in the Debt Debate
- The Real Problem with Military Spending
- Without Unity, We'll Tumble Over the Fiscal Cliff
- The Classy Election of 2012
- Karl Rove: The Biggest Loser in Politics
- Will the Supreme Court Dismantle the Voting Rights Act?
- The Pollution of Political Discourse
Some Companies Resorting to Extremes to Dodge Obamacare | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc