Rush to the Defense? Not So Fast
Dear David from
I want to thank you for the email you sent last week. It made me laugh out loud.
It seems you were unhappy I took a shot at Rush Limbaugh a few days back. Limbaugh had argued that
Which moved you to write: "If Rush Limbaugh were on that bus that day, like so many of us, he would have insisted that Ms. Parks REMAIN seated. ... Rush doesn't need me to defend him from your silly assumption, but I just like to bring it to your attention that just because Rush is WHITE doesn't mean he is not a gentleman!"
David, Rush Limbaugh is the man who once said the
But then, it's seductively easy to imagine yourself or your hero on the right side of history once that history has been vindicated. So of course "Rush" would have stood up for
Actually, no. Not then, and not now.
As it happens, David, your email appeared the same week as news out of
So, of course, the hospital stood up for its 25-year employee, right?
No. According to her suit, a note was posted on the assignment clipboard saying, "No African American nurse to take care of baby." The hospital, naturally, has declined comment.
David, this is ultimately not about "Rush." He is a rich blowhard and therefore, unexceptional. No, this is about the implicit, albeit unstated, "of course" that comes too easily to you and frankly, to many of us, when we contemplate how we would have responded to the moral crimes of the past.
There is to it an unearned smugness that insults the very real courage of those like
But the need for real courage, for willingness to stand up for human dignity, did not end in 1955, something to which our gay, Muslim and immigrant friends -- and
Perhaps you find comfort in your delusion. But some of us realize we live in an era where bigotry has its own talk show and cable network. Can we find comfort in delusions like yours?
Of course not.
Read the latest political news.
- Gilded Class Warriors
- 'Assassination Memo' a First Step in Setting New Warfare Parameters
- The Double Threats
- Rush to the Defense? Not So Fast
- Why Annihilate the GOP?
- A New GOP, or Just A Cosmetic Touchup?
- Government Spending That Isn't Smart
- Obama's Second Coming
- Operation Hubris
- Can the GOP Escape Its Bubble
- Leave Liberal Hollywood to the Liberals
- Can GOP's Local Success Translate to Federal Level?
- United States Shouldn't Create Underclass of Immigrants
- Rubio vs an Invisible Obama
- Marco Rubio's Problem Wasn't the Water
- Rubio and the GOP's Thirst for Leadership
- The GOP's Civil War Stumbles On
- Two Cheers for Republican Rebranding
- Obama's Blunt Challenge to Congress
- Conservative Business Leaders Should Widen Their Scope
- Calling Out Bugnut Idiocy
- No Easy Answers for Gun Woes
- A Time to Resist
- Recycling Old and Failed Ideas
- Obama: An Energized Lame Duck
- Obama's Place in History Already Assured
- Obama's License to Kill by Drone
- Drone Double Standard
- Torture Helped Get bin Laden?
- Let Us Prey
- A Message to Obama, Served Cold
- Government Should Not Define 'Church'
- Where The Buck Still Stops
- Republicans Make Nice, But Are Their Hearts True?
- Incoherent Immigration Reform
- The Eye Doctor and the 'I' Pol
- 60 Minutes' Missed Opportunity
- Obama and Rubio: A Study in Contrasts
- State of the Union, At Home and Abroad
- The Minimum Wage and The Meaning of a Decent Society
- The Hoax of Austerity Economics
- Diplomacy: Lying Politely
- United States and Israel Push The Boundaries of International Law
- Pentagon Keyboard Jockeys Can Now Out-Decorate Combat Heroes
- One Day The World Will Thank Bush For Shaking Up The Arab Region
- Has Obama Kept His Open-Government Pledge?
- State of the Union Allows Presidents to Outline Agenda
- State of the Union Address Likely to Focus on Domestic Issues
- Obama Again Offers to Negotiate Big Deficit Deal
- Immigration Reform Plan is a Farce
- The GOP Crack-up and Obama's Unraveling of the Republican Coalition
- GOP: Rest in Peace?
- A Time to Build
- Obama's Challenge
- Obama's Debt-Ceiling Strategy Could Put The Squeeze on GOP
- Obama's Battle Hymn of the Republic
- Why I'm Singing the Inauguration Blues
- Obama's Inaugural Address Not Progressive Enough
- Taking Joe Biden Seriously
Rush to the Defense? Not So Fast | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc