This is what he told donors at the
Romney continued his remarks by saying, "We have to find ways -- not just to provide health care to more people, but to find ways to finally manage our health care costs."
In a nutshell,
Similarly, the U.K., an earlier stop on Romney's journey, has socialized medicine that also results in British citizens enjoying a greater life expectancy than Americans in the U.S., while spending far less per capita. He might have lauded that system, too, if he didn't spend so much time on the campaign trail bashing the European model of everything. ("
But even someone as focused on American exceptionalism as Romney is should have noticed that during the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games there was a paean to the U.K.'s National Health Service. He couldn't miss it. The extravaganza included 300 hospital beds and more than 600 actual nurses and other health care workers, celebrating a point of national pride. The NHS is widely considered one of the country's greatest achievements.
Can anyone imagine celebrating America's system? Certainly not the 50 million people without health insurance, or those who have gone bankrupt from medical bills. Certainly not those of us with health insurance who fret about losing it if we lose our job, or the millions more who have had to puzzle through indecipherable denials of health insurance claims.
Unlike the U.K. and
Shifting costs and risk onto medical consumers so they "have skin in the game" and won't overuse services is what Republicans often talk about as the solution to spiraling costs. Accretive's approach to securing payments illustrates the consequences of such a system.
As to Romney's federal-government-hands-off approach to health insurance, it bares no resemblance to
Read the latest political news.
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
- 2012 Elections: 100 Days is a Long Time
- Truth Meets the Gaffe Factory
- The Election, the Presidency and Foreign Policy
- Tax Cut Kabuki
- De-Bushing Mitt Romney
- Texas GOP Wages War on Thinking
- Time to Listen to the Other America
- President Obama: You're No Bill Clinton
- What's Behind Hatred of Obama?
- Cleaning Up Campaign Finance
- Supreme Court, Inc.
- His So-called 'Post-Racial' Presidency
- The Terrible Economy and the Anti-Election of 2012
- Marching Toward Greater Inequality
- The Rich Grabbing Bigger Slices of Pie
- Turning College Students into a Commodity
- My Quest for 'Commonsense' Gun Laws
- Gun Lobby Fires Up Obama Fear
- One Nation, Under the Gun
- The Persistent Threat to Soft Targets
- Romney Opens Mouth, Only to Make a Joke of Himself
- Green Scissors for Congress
- The Truth About Obama's Tax Proposal (And The Lies Some are Telling About It)
- Mitt Romney Stays Mum on Tax Avoidance
- Condi Rice Rumor Reveals Divisions in Romney Camp and on the Right
- The African-American Swing State
- Mitt Romney's Tour Starts in Wrong Place
- Teen Assailed for Outgrowing Conservatism
Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.