Beating The Dead Horse Called Benghazi
by Jules Witcover
After endlessly trying to repeal and replace "Obamacare," the
The name of the Libyan city where an American ambassador and three consulate officials were killed in a terrorist raid on
The allegation was first raised, and has been determinedly maintained, by Sens.
Some Democratic congressional leaders are threatening to boycott the proposed committee. House Minority Leader
The impetus for the latest
The dispute grew out of Rice's first televised remarks after the attack, in which she stated that the attack appeared to be triggered by a video disparaging the Muslim prophet Muhammad rather than a planned terrorist operation.
Rhodes' email for Rice indicated its goal was "to underscore that these protests are rooted in an Internet video and not a broader failure of policy." It added that "since we began to see protests in response to this Internet video, the president directed the administration to take a number of steps. His top priority has been the safety and security of all Americans serving abroad."
"Benghazi" quickly became the code word for Republican allegations of inadequate security at the U.S. consulate there. The charge was used against Obama in his 2012 campaign for re-election, and now is being repeated indirectly against then Secretary of State
When the Rhodes email became public,
While many politicians and arguably most of the country have moved on to other more immediate problems and crises such as a still sluggish domestic economy and a potential new war in
Ever since Republicans wailed over "who lost
During his communist-hunting heyday in the 1950s, Sen.
Playing the "Benghazi card" may well produce the same result by the time the next presidential campaign rolls around, even if
As for playing the same card against Obama to frustrate him for the rest of his second term, there are plenty of other political targets available at home and abroad to keep him on the defensive, as his stalled standing in the polls continues to attest.
Available at Amazon.com:
More AMERICAN POLITICS ...
- The Six Principles of the New Populism
- Bergdahl Swap A Retro Moment in the New Cold War
- Bowe Bergdahl and Negotiating with Terrorists
- Advice for Presidential GOP Candidates: Do Your Homework
- Obama Defends Tenacious Foreign Policy Moderation
- On Presidential Firings
- 'Obama: Like a Boss' -- Bumper Sticker for a True Chicagoan
- Enough Slaughter
- In Hyperpartisan America, There's No Room for Compassion
- Whatever Happened to Free-Speech Panic?
- Democrats Struggle to Get Voters Interested in Midterm Elections
- Karl Rove Stirs the Pot with Hillary Clinton Inuendo
- Karl Rove's Boneheaded Swipe at Hillary Clinton
- Hillary's Dilemma: How to Distance Herself from Obama
- Why Jeb Bush's Turn May Not Come
- Criminal Wrongdoing and the CIA
- Politics Have Trumped Ethics in the Obama Administration
- VA Scandal Offers Obama's Critics Yet More Ammunition
- Scapegoats Won't Cure VA's Ills
- The VA, the NHS and Choice
- Reading the Republican Primary Leaves
- Midterm Elections May Seal Fate of Obama's Legacy
- Hillary Clinton's Health Matters
- Hillary Clinton's 'Social Gospel' Good Enough for Democrats
- Obama's Immigration Reform in Need of Reforming
- Beating The Dead Horse Called Benghazi
- Don't Tune Out the Newest Benghazi Developments
- Free Speech Not So Free When Discussing Gay Rights
- GOP Hopefuls Seek Inner-City Education
- For D.C. Insiders, Name of the Game is Getting the 'Get'
- Government Waste: Where Has All the Money Gone?
- Obama Defends His Foreign Policy Doctrine
- Why Women -- and Voters -- Prefer Jerks to Fops
- It's Time to Show Our Veterans Some Love
- Justice for All, Except Those Too Big to Jail
- Just Don't Call It 'Reparations'
- John Paul Stevens Proposes New Constitutional Amendments
- Cliven Bundy's Towering Tantrum of Entitlement
- Class Warfare Endures as Preferred Political Strategy
- Harry Reid Has Become McCarthy for Our Time
Article: Copyright © 2014, Tribune Content Agency
"Beating The Dead Horse Called Benghazi"