Obama's Uncertain Trumpet
In President Obama's running argument with the Republicans in
He did it again in his embarrassing cave-in to
In so doing, he invited allegations of crumbling to legislators more concerned about getting to and from their states than solving the fiscal sequester nightmare paralyzing the government.
The episode was particularly damaging to Obama by casting him as willing to single out the complaints of well-heeled frequent fliers for remedy. Meanwhile the rest of the American public -- and especially the lower-income and middle-class folks -- continued to suffer most from the across-the-board budget slashes dictated by the sequester.
At the outset, Obama gambled that the wrong-headed plan to apply an indiscriminate budget ax would shame or otherwise force the Republicans to deal with him on a combination of deficit reduction and economic stimulus. Unfortunately for him, many in the opposition party saw the sequester's deficit reduction as more than OK with them, even if it meant cutting previously sacrosanct defense spending.
The political trouble began with the insignificant but sensitive cutting off of
That is, until the man in the Oval Office, who said its awfulness would be so awful that
With that stroke of the presidential pen, he let the air out of his huffing and puffing about the killer sequester. And with the flying public, conspicuously including members of
After Obama's frustrated first-term efforts to work with the opposition party of
In new second-term drives for stronger gun-control measures and a more vocally muscular foreign policy, he stumped energetically for the first and spoke of red lines and game-changers about U.S. engagement in
Already the administration is seen as looking down the road to the 2014 congressional elections as the president's best chance to salvage significant political gains in his last two
As in the last five years,
The whole scene is beginning to resemble World War I trench warfare. Both sides are grinding themselves down in a similar exercise in mutual -- and willful -- self-destruction, with an earnest but frustrated president increasingly hunkered down as well.
Read the latest political news.
- We're Surrendering Our Civil Liberties
- Breakout from Politics of the Past
- Freedom: The Unfolding Revolution
- Another Do-nothing Congress
- When Government Can't be Trusted
- The Press and Dr. Faustus
- Snowden Out in the Cold
- National Security vs Privacy
- Too Many Secrets Spoil Our Safety
- Secrecy Scandal? Not So Much
- More Big Brother Snooping
- The Two Centers of Unaccountable Power in America
- America's Challenge to Wield Smart Power
- The Path and Price of Citizenship
- Republicans Head for New Defeat in 2016
- A Congress Divided
- Immigration Wedge Issue Splits GOP
- The GOP's Immigration Tussle
- Republicans: Avoiding a Death Spiral
- Civil Rights Assaulted by Supreme Court
- Supreme Court Decisions Rattle SCOTUS Credibility
- Polling Disenfranchisement will be more difficult to flag
- Supreme Court: Affirming Voting Action
- Supreme Court: No Standard
- Supreme Court: 'Diversity' Means More than Race
- Obama Sitting Short in the Saddle
- Snowden a Fool, Not a Spy
- Snowden Leak Reveals the Ridiculous Reach of Federal Power
- Edward Snowden and The Dangers of Amateurism
- NSA's PRISM Program Falls Victim to an Ego Trip
- Time to Dial Up Some Healthy Skepticism
- Why the GOP Can't Learn
- Divided Government: Washington Closing, States Moving in Opposite Directions
- Your Government on War
- Obama's Lame Attempt to Justify His Old, New War
- The Triumph of Progressivism: Graduation 2013 and 1968
- What Obama Legacy?
- We Cannot Trust Obama
- Bugnut 'Reporter' Makes Mental Health a Political Issue
- Holding the National Security Course
- Advice for the GOP: Chill
- Reinventing Watergate
- America's Vast Margin of Error
- Abortion Rights Not Synonymous with Women's Health
- Leaking Attorney General Holder's Meeting
- Foreign Affairs
- How to Spell Success
- Bob Dole: America's Veteran
- (Dole)ing Out Blame for Gridlock
- Bob Dole Takes His Turn in Political Parlor Game
- The Old Order is Dying
- Bye-Bye to Michele Bachmann's Twitter-Era Politics
- Bye-Bye, Bachmann
- Conservativism Needs to Purge Eugenics Obsession
- When Untruth Undermines Democracy
- Niall Ferguson's Blooper
- Damage Control Again
- Boxing Obama In
- Scandals Put Presidential Credibility on the Line
- It's 1973 All Over Again
- The President's Morehouse Address
- Press Shield has Holes
- What Next? A Drone War Against The Press?
- On Press Freedoms, Obama Races Nixon to Bottoms
- First Amendment Clause-Trophobia
- Obama's Uncertain Trumpet
- Obama's Second-Term Blues
- A Challenge to Young Obama Supporters
- Paranoid or Prescient?
- Obama's Revealing Reflections
- A Stain on the Democratic Brand
- Obama's 'Idiot' Defense
- Memo on IRS Scandal
- IRS Went After Small Fry, But Let The Big Ones Get Away
- The Buck Stops Short
- Right-Wing Reflex: Blame Obama First
- IRS Follows Obama's lead
- Tyranny is No Longer 'Lurking'
- What was the IRS Thinking?
- Sanitized Society Puts Hygiene Hypothesis to the Test
- The Coming Obamacare Disaster
- Taxing Internet Sales
- It Takes Two to End a War
- It's Too Easy to Become a Terrorist
- Benghazi, IRS: Son of Watergate?
- Benghazi's Smoking Guns
- Bad Faith and Benghazi
- Should the United States Continue to be the Indispensable Nation?
- The Dilution of Journalism
- Global Domination and Databases
- Dick, Ike and Ted
- Usual Suspects Using Terror Attacks to Bludgeon Immigration Reform
- Deportation: The D-word
- The Case Against Cutting Social Security and Medicare
- Useless Baggage
- Flying Over an Act of Monumental Stupidity
- Drone World
- Where Our Democracy Works and Where It Doesn't
- America's Just Not That into Obama
- 2017: After Obama
- Beware Public Opinion
- Why Do Liberals Fear Success?
- The Stealth Sequester
- 'Right wing' Does Not Equal 'Terrorist'
- Dubya's Library Opens Debate About Presidential Record
- Obama Eye-Candy Comment Leaves Sour Aftertaste
- Where Obama Should Listen to Rand Paul: Legal Pot
- Rand Paul Gets Schooled at Howard University
- Rand Paul has Explaining to Do
- Conversation Starters Paisley, Paul are Taking Their Lumps
- An Odd Push to Privatize Marriage
- Fear of Gay Marriage Backlash Overblown
- Can GOP Reverse the Damage Done by Iraq?
- Hagel's Challenge
- Wasn't Sandy Hook Enough?
- Gun Vote Reveals New GOP Divide
- Marco Rubio Comes Up Short on Gun Control
- Obama's Limited War on Guns
- School is a Battlefield, and NRA Determined to Keep it that Way
- Gun Laws and Human Nature
- Grief Without Borders
- Immigration: Of Athens and Jerusalem
- Chasing Infinity
- Why the Boston Bombers Succeeded
- Pollution in the News Stream
- Banking on the Poor
- Austerity Leaves Us Crying '96 Tears'
Obama's Uncertain Trumpet | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc.