Obama's Second-Term Blues
Was President Obama really joking at this year's White House Correspondents' Association dinner? Or was he showing, as I suspect, early signs of the second-term blues?
It's fashionable for critics to harrumph with outrage over the chummy elbow-massaging CSPAN-covered spring "nerd prom" of politicians, media moguls,
But sometimes actual news or, at least, useful insights break out, especially if you listen for hidden messages in the president's traditionally humorous roast of himself and others.
Right off the bat, Obama drew contrasts between his first and second terms. "How do you like my new entrance music?" he asked the crowd after half-dancing his way to the podium to the pounding beat of a rap tune.
He also turned the paranoid right's Obama myths on their head: "I'm not the strapping young Muslim socialist I used to be."
But some of his humor made one wonder whether he was actually joking.
"Some folks still don't think I spend enough time with
"Why don't you get a drink with
Go for the pain, I have heard wise standup comedians advise rising would-be comics. The day-to-day pain of life gives comedians some of their best material. Obama's day-to-day political pain seemed to produce his most memorable punch lines.
"Everybody has got plenty of advice," he sighed. "(
Obama was responding to a column by Dowd, in full mean-girl mode, praising his ability to connect emotionally with people but opining that "he still has not learned how to govern."
"No one on
Obama's response: You're living in a fantasy world, Maureen. Yet she's also right. Obama's response was funny, partly because the truth hurts.
Days after appearing with other former presidents at the dedication ceremony for President
Yet the day after this year's dinner, a
Yet charm is one of the few avenues he has left as he pushes such remaining priorities as a sweeping budget deal and comprehensive immigration reform.
Arm-twisting has its place, but it doesn't do much good on core ideological issues like gun control, against which conservatives are remarkably resistant even to polls. His headaches may well get worse after the 2014 midterms, which traditionally draw voters who are older, more conservative and more anti-incumbent toward whomever is sitting in the
No wonder this president is showing signs of the second-term blues. No joke.
Read the latest political news.
- We're Surrendering Our Civil Liberties
- Breakout from Politics of the Past
- Freedom: The Unfolding Revolution
- Another Do-nothing Congress
- When Government Can't be Trusted
- The Press and Dr. Faustus
- Snowden Out in the Cold
- National Security vs Privacy
- Too Many Secrets Spoil Our Safety
- Secrecy Scandal? Not So Much
- More Big Brother Snooping
- The Two Centers of Unaccountable Power in America
- America's Challenge to Wield Smart Power
- The Path and Price of Citizenship
- Republicans Head for New Defeat in 2016
- A Congress Divided
- Immigration Wedge Issue Splits GOP
- The GOP's Immigration Tussle
- Republicans: Avoiding a Death Spiral
- Civil Rights Assaulted by Supreme Court
- Supreme Court Decisions Rattle SCOTUS Credibility
- Polling Disenfranchisement will be more difficult to flag
- Supreme Court: Affirming Voting Action
- Supreme Court: No Standard
- Supreme Court: 'Diversity' Means More than Race
- Obama Sitting Short in the Saddle
- Snowden a Fool, Not a Spy
- Snowden Leak Reveals the Ridiculous Reach of Federal Power
- Edward Snowden and The Dangers of Amateurism
- NSA's PRISM Program Falls Victim to an Ego Trip
- Time to Dial Up Some Healthy Skepticism
- Why the GOP Can't Learn
- Divided Government: Washington Closing, States Moving in Opposite Directions
- Your Government on War
- Obama's Lame Attempt to Justify His Old, New War
- The Triumph of Progressivism: Graduation 2013 and 1968
- What Obama Legacy?
- We Cannot Trust Obama
- Bugnut 'Reporter' Makes Mental Health a Political Issue
- Holding the National Security Course
- Advice for the GOP: Chill
- Reinventing Watergate
- America's Vast Margin of Error
- Abortion Rights Not Synonymous with Women's Health
- Leaking Attorney General Holder's Meeting
- Foreign Affairs
- How to Spell Success
- Bob Dole: America's Veteran
- (Dole)ing Out Blame for Gridlock
- Bob Dole Takes His Turn in Political Parlor Game
- The Old Order is Dying
- Bye-Bye to Michele Bachmann's Twitter-Era Politics
- Bye-Bye, Bachmann
- Conservativism Needs to Purge Eugenics Obsession
- When Untruth Undermines Democracy
- Niall Ferguson's Blooper
- Damage Control Again
- Boxing Obama In
- Scandals Put Presidential Credibility on the Line
- It's 1973 All Over Again
- The President's Morehouse Address
- Press Shield has Holes
- What Next? A Drone War Against The Press?
- On Press Freedoms, Obama Races Nixon to Bottoms
- First Amendment Clause-Trophobia
- Obama's Uncertain Trumpet
- Obama's Second-Term Blues
- A Challenge to Young Obama Supporters
- Paranoid or Prescient?
- Obama's Revealing Reflections
- A Stain on the Democratic Brand
- Obama's 'Idiot' Defense
- Memo on IRS Scandal
- IRS Went After Small Fry, But Let The Big Ones Get Away
- The Buck Stops Short
- Right-Wing Reflex: Blame Obama First
- IRS Follows Obama's lead
- Tyranny is No Longer 'Lurking'
- What was the IRS Thinking?
- Sanitized Society Puts Hygiene Hypothesis to the Test
- The Coming Obamacare Disaster
- Taxing Internet Sales
- It Takes Two to End a War
- It's Too Easy to Become a Terrorist
- Benghazi, IRS: Son of Watergate?
- Benghazi's Smoking Guns
- Bad Faith and Benghazi
- Should the United States Continue to be the Indispensable Nation?
- The Dilution of Journalism
- Global Domination and Databases
- Dick, Ike and Ted
- Usual Suspects Using Terror Attacks to Bludgeon Immigration Reform
- Deportation: The D-word
- The Case Against Cutting Social Security and Medicare
- Useless Baggage
- Flying Over an Act of Monumental Stupidity
- Drone World
- Where Our Democracy Works and Where It Doesn't
- America's Just Not That into Obama
- 2017: After Obama
- Beware Public Opinion
- Why Do Liberals Fear Success?
- The Stealth Sequester
- 'Right wing' Does Not Equal 'Terrorist'
- Dubya's Library Opens Debate About Presidential Record
- Obama Eye-Candy Comment Leaves Sour Aftertaste
- Where Obama Should Listen to Rand Paul: Legal Pot
- Rand Paul Gets Schooled at Howard University
- Rand Paul has Explaining to Do
- Conversation Starters Paisley, Paul are Taking Their Lumps
- An Odd Push to Privatize Marriage
- Fear of Gay Marriage Backlash Overblown
- Can GOP Reverse the Damage Done by Iraq?
- Hagel's Challenge
- Wasn't Sandy Hook Enough?
- Gun Vote Reveals New GOP Divide
- Marco Rubio Comes Up Short on Gun Control
- Obama's Limited War on Guns
- School is a Battlefield, and NRA Determined to Keep it that Way
- Gun Laws and Human Nature
- Grief Without Borders
- Immigration: Of Athens and Jerusalem
- Chasing Infinity
- Why the Boston Bombers Succeeded
- Pollution in the News Stream
- Banking on the Poor
- Austerity Leaves Us Crying '96 Tears'
Obama's Second-Term Blues | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc.