Obama's Second Coming
The first weeks of the second Obama administration have signaled that a more assertive president now sits behind the Oval Office desk than the one who settled in there after his first inauguration four years ago.
The starry-eyed neophyte of
After laying out a more specific set of domestic objectives, notably including immigration reform and stronger policies against gun violence, Obama has begun lobbying the American people campaign-style on both, with Vice President
While personally turning inward, the president has dispatched Biden to European capitals carrying a message of continued American engagement in international commitments. He also has installed former Sen.
Not only is Obama personally going to the country to sell his second-term objectives. He is also re-mobilizing the effective political ground operation that snatched his re-election by out-organizing
The president obviously has his eye on the congressional elections of 2014. He hopes through his own exertions and those of Team Obama to break the
In foreign affairs, Kerry and former Sen.
Republicans on the
Obama's inauguration address, which in some important ways echoed the late
After eight years of a Republican reign that saw its foreign policy reputation shattered by overreaching misadventure, and its domestic economy wrecked by similarly unmonitored financial policies, Obama now seems set on a corrective course in both arenas.
At the same time, a
The president's strategy of getting out of
For once, Obama seems to have an impassioned public interest on his side. Hispanic voters who backed him overwhelmingly in November are demanding immigration reform. The whole nation remains in shock over the Newtown tragedy and polls say at least some strong gun-control legislation is favored.
But in both cases, closing the sale remains, with much hard work ahead over a still-resistant terrain on
Read the latest political news.
- Gilded Class Warriors
- 'Assassination Memo' a First Step in Setting New Warfare Parameters
- The Double Threats
- Rush to the Defense? Not So Fast
- Why Annihilate the GOP?
- A New GOP, or Just A Cosmetic Touchup?
- Government Spending That Isn't Smart
- Obama's Second Coming
- Operation Hubris
- Can the GOP Escape Its Bubble
- Leave Liberal Hollywood to the Liberals
- Can GOP's Local Success Translate to Federal Level?
- United States Shouldn't Create Underclass of Immigrants
- Rubio vs an Invisible Obama
- Marco Rubio's Problem Wasn't the Water
- Rubio and the GOP's Thirst for Leadership
- The GOP's Civil War Stumbles On
- Two Cheers for Republican Rebranding
- Obama's Blunt Challenge to Congress
- Conservative Business Leaders Should Widen Their Scope
- Calling Out Bugnut Idiocy
- No Easy Answers for Gun Woes
- A Time to Resist
- Recycling Old and Failed Ideas
- Obama: An Energized Lame Duck
- Obama's Place in History Already Assured
- Obama's License to Kill by Drone
- Drone Double Standard
- Torture Helped Get bin Laden?
- Let Us Prey
- A Message to Obama, Served Cold
- Government Should Not Define 'Church'
- Where The Buck Still Stops
- Republicans Make Nice, But Are Their Hearts True?
- Incoherent Immigration Reform
- The Eye Doctor and the 'I' Pol
- 60 Minutes' Missed Opportunity
- Obama and Rubio: A Study in Contrasts
- State of the Union, At Home and Abroad
- The Minimum Wage and The Meaning of a Decent Society
- The Hoax of Austerity Economics
- Diplomacy: Lying Politely
- United States and Israel Push The Boundaries of International Law
- Pentagon Keyboard Jockeys Can Now Out-Decorate Combat Heroes
- One Day The World Will Thank Bush For Shaking Up The Arab Region
- Has Obama Kept His Open-Government Pledge?
- State of the Union Allows Presidents to Outline Agenda
- State of the Union Address Likely to Focus on Domestic Issues
- Obama Again Offers to Negotiate Big Deficit Deal
- Immigration Reform Plan is a Farce
- The GOP Crack-up and Obama's Unraveling of the Republican Coalition
- GOP: Rest in Peace?
- A Time to Build
- Obama's Challenge
- Obama's Debt-Ceiling Strategy Could Put The Squeeze on GOP
- Obama's Battle Hymn of the Republic
- Why I'm Singing the Inauguration Blues
- Obama's Inaugural Address Not Progressive Enough
- Taking Joe Biden Seriously
Obama's Second Coming | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc