'Obama: Like a Boss' -- Bumper Sticker for a True Chicagoan
by John Kass
The Democrats have it all wrong when it comes to one of their choices for a new President
"Like a Boss."
The Democrats foolishly think the phrase derives from an old rap song denoting cool competence. "Like a bowse" is how the young people pronounce it.
"'Like a Boss' is rockin' it," said Heather, a sophomore at the
But I have no intentions of kicking anything, except perhaps some Republicans, since they have it all wrong too.
Some are suggesting "boss" is a poor choice of words because it's the root of "bossy," the use of which is a modern-day thought crime much loathed by supporters of
Others are mocking Obama by offering their own version of the bumper sticker slogan. One version uses a photo of the president in his mommy jeans and White Sox jacket, tossing out the first pitch at a baseball game, leading with his elbow and throwing, well, definitely not like a boss.
A few, though, asked pertinent questions about the Obama "Like a Boss" meme.
"'Like a boss'? What does that mean?" wrote lawyer
Perhaps, but here's the thing about the Founders: They didn't learn their politics in
We've been ruled by bosses for almost a century. We've been bossed by politicians and criminals, vicious, ham-fisted men who use government to bend the people to their will.
Sometimes the boss is hardly known, a wizened old man who sits in a restaurant booth in the Viagra Triangle. Other times, the boss is out front, leading a parade.
That's why I'm so eager to get my hands on an Obama "Like a Boss" bumper sticker. That slogan is the least boring of six options offered in an online survey by the
I want my own copy so badly that I'm offering right now to cut off the tip of my left pinkie finger, wrap it up in a handkerchief the Yakuza way, touch it to my forehead and give it to the new boss of
And he'll hand my bloody little pinkie stub to his buddy,
When Axelrod opens up the handkerchief, and sees my flesh in there, a puckered but silent testament to my support for "Like a Boss," he'll know what to do.
He'll make "Like a Boss" the official bumper sticker of the
But is Obama truly a boss, the
He's president, and he's cool, and he sings bits of
But does that make him a boss?
Boss Daley was once our boss -- such a boss that
Joseph "the Clown" Lombardo, now spending the end of his days in prison on charges he conspired to kill the Spilotro brothers, was street boss of the Chicago Outfit.
Though a dangerous man, he also had a bizarre and rather frightening sense of humor. Once he took out a classified ad in local newspapers insisting he was not a boss:
"I never took a secret oath, with guns and daggers, pricked my finger, drew blood or burned paper to join a criminal organization. If anyone hears my name used in connection with any criminal activity, please notify the FBI, local police, and my parole officer,
Another boss that went away to "college" with Lombardo is
During Marcello's federal trial, his lawyers argued that he wasn't really a boss, since his mother was Irish. They even fixed a green shamrock on a chart next to his name for the jury to see. It looked like candy from a Lucky Charms cereal box. And it didn't work magic.
Now he's got one thumb on the drones and the other on the Oval Office TV remote control watching "Plays of the Week" on
Sounds like a boss to me.
Available at Amazon.com:
More AMERICAN POLITICS ...
- Bashing Obama to Make Way for Hillary
- The Six Principles of the New Populism
- Bergdahl Swap A Retro Moment in the New Cold War
- Bowe Bergdahl and Negotiating with Terrorists
- Advice for Presidential GOP Candidates: Do Your Homework
- Obama Defends Tenacious Foreign Policy Moderation
- On Presidential Firings
- 'Obama: Like a Boss' -- Bumper Sticker for a True Chicagoan
- Enough Slaughter
- In Hyperpartisan America, There's No Room for Compassion
- Whatever Happened to Free-Speech Panic?
- Democrats Struggle to Get Voters Interested in Midterm Elections
- Karl Rove Stirs the Pot with Hillary Clinton Inuendo
- Karl Rove's Boneheaded Swipe at Hillary Clinton
- Hillary's Dilemma: How to Distance Herself from Obama
- Why Jeb Bush's Turn May Not Come
- Criminal Wrongdoing and the CIA
- Politics Have Trumped Ethics in the Obama Administration
- VA Scandal Offers Obama's Critics Yet More Ammunition
- Scapegoats Won't Cure VA's Ills
- The VA, the NHS and Choice
- Reading the Republican Primary Leaves
- Midterm Elections May Seal Fate of Obama's Legacy
- Hillary Clinton's Health Matters
- Hillary Clinton's 'Social Gospel' Good Enough for Democrats
- Obama's Immigration Reform in Need of Reforming
- Beating The Dead Horse Called Benghazi
- Don't Tune Out the Newest Benghazi Developments
- Free Speech Not So Free When Discussing Gay Rights
- GOP Hopefuls Seek Inner-City Education
- For D.C. Insiders, Name of the Game is Getting the 'Get'
- Government Waste: Where Has All the Money Gone?
- Obama Defends His Foreign Policy Doctrine
- Why Women -- and Voters -- Prefer Jerks to Fops
- It's Time to Show Our Veterans Some Love
- Justice for All, Except Those Too Big to Jail
- Just Don't Call It 'Reparations'
- John Paul Stevens Proposes New Constitutional Amendments
- Cliven Bundy's Towering Tantrum of Entitlement
- Class Warfare Endures as Preferred Political Strategy
- Harry Reid Has Become McCarthy for Our Time
Article: Copyright © 2014, Tribune Content Agency
"'Obama: Like a Boss' -- Bumper Sticker for a True Chicagoan"