Needed: A New Foreign Policy
Republican presidential candidate
The Obama administration's approach to foreign policy has been one of apology, genuflection to dictators and inconsistency. "...it is the responsibility of our president to use America's great power to shape history," Romney told the
Romney reached back more than 60 years for this quote from
Romney's speech was serious, especially this line which came after his call for a "change in course in the
I'm fine with that, but perhaps in the
Eleven years later as America was being torn apart by the Vietnam War, Democratic presidential candidate
Who is right? I think both are right. America's role in the world must be re-defined and explained to its citizens. The presidential candidates should be asked about it. We can't afford to go everywhere and do everything. It isn't fair to our young men and women who are asked to die, or lose limbs, and it isn't fair to taxpayers who must pay for these wars. Still, America has an interest in promoting liberty and freeing people from tyranny. That interest is moral as well as self-serving. Democracies don't attack each other. But when and how should we act?
The flaw in Romney's otherwise good speech was his re-statement of the policy of the current administration and previous ones that a Palestinian state adjacent to
Western values -- including religious values -- can't be forced on people who don't share them. There is a fundamental gap between Islamic cultures and the West that cannot be easily bridged by diplomacy or military might.
Cal Thomas is a conservative American syndicated columnist and author syndicated in over 550 newspapers and is heard on over 300 radio stations
Read the latest political news.
- United States Presidential Elections in Perspective
- Early Latino Turnout Could Swing Vote
- A Letter to Women Voters
- The Final Days, The Biggest Issue and The Clearest Choice
- Another Electoral College Nightmare?
- Why We're Still in Deep Trouble No Matter Who Wins The Presidency
- FEMA vs 'Romnesia'
- An Unscripted October Surprise
- Stormy Weather Politics
- Storm Saves Obama From Himself
- A Romney Presidency Would Erase Decades of Progress
- President Obama Has Earned Our Trust -- and Our Vote
- Conservatives Long for the Sad Days of Yesteryear
- The Key Election Factor -- Hispanic Turnout
- Presidential race will be 'all about turnout'
- Romney: Obama Victory Would Mean More Gridlock
- Obama: 'You Know I Tell the Truth'
- Romney Pledges Bipartisanship in Final Push
- Gaffes and Zingers, Highlights of Mitt Romney's Campaign
- Women Voters: Kingmakers in 2012
- Obama: 'We've Got More Work to Do'
- The Uncool President
- The 2012 Choice
- Busting Myths about Benghazi
- Benghazi -- No Mere 'October surprise'
- The Vanishing Act of Dubya
- Not an Easy Makeover for Florida Representative Allen West
- What Men of the GOP Don't Get About Rape and Abortion
- In GOP View, Life is Sacred ... Except When It's Not
- Romney the Wrong Man to Handle United States Foreign Policy
- Mitt Romney AWOL in Foreign Policy Debate
- How the Election Could Go Wrong for Romney
- Mitt Romney's Question-Mark Economy
- Will Money Talk?
- With Time Short, Obama and Romney Hit Key States
- Romney: One Campaign Taking on Water
- The Winning Road to 270
- Obama Blasts Romney in Foreign Policy Debate
- Foreign Affairs Debate Analysis
- Ann Coulter Calls President Obama Offensive Name
- What Did Ohioans Think of the Debate?
- A Vote for Election Day
- Principled Pragmatism Beats Bush-style Bluster
- Teacher Would Show 'Em How To Run A Debate
- Presidential Candidates Not Speaking the Same Language
- Foreign Policy Comes to the Fore
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Policy a Puzzle that Doesn't Fit Together
- Reality: Product of the Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy
- The Politics of Fear and the Party of Non-Voters
- Bainport: A Taste of the Romney Economy
- Billionaire Koch Brothers Try to Buy Court
- Mitt's Hubris Shows Through in Town Hall Debate
- Obama's Economic Spin: A New Pony or Manure?
- Moderators Must Push Debates Past Talking Points
- The Second Presidential Debate
- Mitt Romney's Case to Women Fails to Convince
- Mitt Romney's 'Binders' Bind
- Obama's Recovery
- Left Wants Multiculturalism to Trump Free Speech
- Needed: A New Foreign Policy
- Quit Blaming Bush
- A Bright and Shining Libyan Lie
- Florida's Amendment 8 An Assault on Church-State Separation
- VP Debate Winner? Barack Obama
- As Vice President Role Grows, Spotlight Becomes Brighter
- Biden vs Ryan: Old vs New
- Red, Blue and Faithful
- Presidential Debates Reveal More About the Candidates and Less
- A Memo to Mitt and Ann Romney
- Mitt Romney's Biggest Problem is His Own Party
- The 'Self-Made' Hallucination of America's Rich
- Why Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are Going Down
- Four Reasons Why Mitt Romney Might Still Win
- America Needs Good Refs -- On the Gridiron and in Politics
- How the GOP Protects Its Falsehoods
Needed: A New Foreign Policy | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc