Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
For years, presidents and presidential hopefuls have gone abroad to cast themselves as knowledgeable on world affairs, counting on friendly receptions wherever they go as a respite from the slings and arrows they routinely encounter in campaigning at home.
They used to tour what was known as "the 3-
Now goes Republican presumptive nominee
If there figured to be any safe political ground for Romney on his little overseas gambit, it was Old Blighty. U.S.-British ties have been long and strong at least back to the War of 1812, cemented in the World War II partnership that turned back Hitler, starting even before the American entry after
In 1940, FDR cut a deal swapping 50 old
Romney in choosing to kick off his trip in
His hosts, British Prime Minister
To make matters worse, some unidentified Romney aide had, in making reference to the "Anglo-Saxon heritage," clumsily added that "the
In this enlightened journalistic era of running with unattributed sources speaking for favored candidates, Romney got burned again as he struggled to recover from his own verbal gaffes. He even played the homeboy card when reminded that his great-great grandfather hailed from Preston in
Thus has Romney's trip abroad in search of foreign-policy credibility already served to export that growing diversion of American presidential politics -- mindless trivia. It's fed first by thoughtless and careless candidate observations that are then seized upon by the new media practice of reporting first and checking later, if at all.
The Telegraph of
Back home, thanks to the impossibility these days of a candidate going abroad in a cocoon, Romney's demeanor in
Read the latest political news.
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
- 2012 Elections: 100 Days is a Long Time
- Truth Meets the Gaffe Factory
- The Election, the Presidency and Foreign Policy
- Tax Cut Kabuki
- De-Bushing Mitt Romney
- Texas GOP Wages War on Thinking
- Time to Listen to the Other America
- President Obama: You're No Bill Clinton
- What's Behind Hatred of Obama?
- Cleaning Up Campaign Finance
- Supreme Court, Inc.
- His So-called 'Post-Racial' Presidency
- The Terrible Economy and the Anti-Election of 2012
- Marching Toward Greater Inequality
- The Rich Grabbing Bigger Slices of Pie
- Turning College Students into a Commodity
- My Quest for 'Commonsense' Gun Laws
- Gun Lobby Fires Up Obama Fear
- One Nation, Under the Gun
- The Persistent Threat to Soft Targets
- Romney Opens Mouth, Only to Make a Joke of Himself
- Green Scissors for Congress
- The Truth About Obama's Tax Proposal (And The Lies Some are Telling About It)
- Mitt Romney Stays Mum on Tax Avoidance
- Condi Rice Rumor Reveals Divisions in Romney Camp and on the Right
- The African-American Swing State
- Mitt Romney's Tour Starts in Wrong Place
- Teen Assailed for Outgrowing Conservatism
Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.