Koch Brothers War on America
June 1, 2011
I imagine the tycoons
The latest bombshell is from
Disgraceful, yes, but this is just the newest revelation in what has been a well-reported mission by the Koch brothers to use their vast wealth, estimated at
If you're reading "tea party" here, you've got that right -- call them the Kochs' boots on the ground. But the Koch brothers know that they can't rely solely on America's angry, gullible know-nothings to change the national direction. Their ultra-conservatism needs a veneer of intellectual credibility, which is why for decades the brothers have lavished resources on a host of think tanks and academic institutions that are willing to make a case for anything a billionaire without a conscience would want.
And it's paid off handsomely. Policies on lowering taxes on wealth, dismantling
This year has been a banner one for the Kochs. We've seen frontal political assaults on their entire enemies list, with Republican governors and legislatures going after public sector unions, the independence of the judiciary, public school teachers, you name it. The brothers have successfully insinuated their extreme brand of libertarianism into Republican DNA.
University economics departments, like FSU's, are part of the mercenary army that gives the Koch brothers legitimizing cover.
At FSU, the newly exposed controversy has put President
The Kochs may not like taxes but they sure like to leverage public funds to advance and amplify their own ideological agenda. That agenda leaves the middle class without a government protector in the face of laissez-faire capitalism.
Welcome to the Koch brothers' war. Once America's progressives are fully snuffed out, we will all be its casualties.
Read the latest political news.
- On Dominique Strauss-Kahn, Shakespeare and the Enemy in the Mirror
- The Battle for the Soul of the GOP
- To Fix the Budget Deficit Raise Corporate Taxes
- The Case for and Against The TARP Bailout
- Obama's Secret Weapon for 2012 Re-Election Campaign: The Economy
- 10 Issues Driving Obama's 2012 Re-Election Campaign
- Koch Brothers War on America
- Ignorant Certainty
- Apocalypse, Oops! -- Lessons From a Failed Doom
- Giuliani Aiming to Take Down Romney in New Hampshire
- Tim Pawlenty Aims for the Straight Talk Mantel
- Newt Gingrich Will Star In Democrats' Anti-Ryan Medicare Attacks
- Mitt Romney and Sarah Palin Leading 2012 GOP Field
- GOP Horse With No Rider
- What Price Our Principles?
- Pentagon and Obama Bomb House Bid To Revive Jet Engine
- Congress's Deep Support for Israel May Not Lead to Action
- President Obama Counters Criticism on Middle East
- Obama Offers Little New In Middle East Speech
- The Latest Futility: New President, Same Middle East
- Elizabeth Warren to Obama: 'You Had Me at Predatory Lending'
- Guess Who's Running For President in 2012?
- Even Without Donald Trump, Plenty of Clowns in the 2012 GOP Field
- Who Benefits from Huckabee and Trump 2012 Announcements
- Bin Laden Killing Is Obama's Defining Moment
- Herb Kohl Retirement Adds to Democrats 2012 Senate Woes
- Government Hits Debt Ceiling as Parties Squabble
- Boehner's Debt Ceiling Speech Shows Problems of Obamanomics
- Four Roadblocks to Obama's Immigration Reform
- Alligators, Moats and Other Such Nonsense
- Obama Talks Nice About Immigration Reform But What Is He Willing to Do?
- Mitt Romney: Like Father, Like Son
- Why Newt Gingrich Will be the 2012 GOP Nominee for President
- The GOP Field for 2012: Who's on First?
- Republicans Vs. Invisibility
- A Sharper GOP Field for 2012
- GOP Warns Of Back Door Mileage Tax
- Big Oil Tax Break Vote Could Hurt Vulnerable Republicans
- Why Congress Cannot Fix Your Gas Prices Pain
- Why Washington Should Pay Attention to the Economy Here and Now
- On Gas Prices Obama Should Lead or Get Out of the Way
- Putting $4 Gas In Perspective
- 7 Ways the United States Population is Changing
- Dear Class of 2011: Good Luck You're Really Going to Need It
- Big Oil's Money Gusher
- Lawmakers Tell Obama to End Afghanistan War
- Osama bin Laden Is Dead: Does Obama or Bush Deserve the Credit?
- What did Killing Osama bin Laden Actually Accomplish?
- Toning Down the Celebrating
- Why the Hurry to Gloat About Bin Laden?
- Wall Street Lobbyists Trying to Sway Tea Party
- Killed by Tea Party GOP, Second F-35 Engine Revived
- Trotting Out the GOP Candidates
- Bad GOP Timing
- Recall Elections Enhance Democracy
- Recall Elections Waste Public Funds and Cause Chaos
- A Memorial Day to Remember
- Budget Rhetoric of Biblical Proportions
- Rules for Killing Rogues?
- The Unholy Grail
- What a Week for the World
- The Bin Laden Bounce: How Will Obama Use This Moment of Unexpected Unity?
- United States Budget: Money Worries
- The Donald Makes (Almost) Humble Speech
- We've Had Enough of America's Favorite Huckster
- National Debt Debate Reflects How Far Left Democrats Have Moved
- Seniors Key Voters in 2012 Presidential Election
- Enough Drama Already: The Country's Getting Sick of It
- More Taxes on Big Oil?
- A Thorny Porny Issue for New York Public Library
- Orwell's Vision Becomes Reality
- Balanced Budget Amendment Needed to Fix National Debt Crisis
- A Balanced Budget Amendment Would Be a Dangerous Distraction
- By Accepting Conventional Wisdom on Deficit Obama Is Ignoring Lessons of 2008
- GOP Posturing on Debt Ceiling Could Lead to Economic Disaster
- He's Serious, All Right, But Not About the Deficit
- The Unhappy President
- Obama Still Strong Heading Into 2012 Election
- Donald Trump: Most Buzzed About GOP Candidate
- Pandering to the Obamaphobes
- Haley Barbour Says No
- GOP Reality Primary Could Be a Win-Win
- New GOP Agenda: Balance Budget and Expand Jobs
- Religion and Party Affiliation Go Hand in Hand
- Are Sky-High Gas Prices Good?
- Down the Tea Party Rabbit Hole in Florida
- Medicare Love Chills Tea Party Fever
- Cooling on Global Warming
- Year Later, Little in Gulf Has Changed
- Beware the Middle Ground of the Great Budget Debate
- Recalibrating Homeland Security
- Power and Politics in an Autonomous Latin America
- Make the Rich Pay!
- 2011 Budget Battle Only the First of Many to Come
- Barack Obama's 'Memento' Presidency
- Trump - Newsmax Conspiracy Is Real
- Michele Bachmann: Don't Misunderestimate This Firebrand From Minnesota
- Duck, It's The Donald!
- A Debate Worthy of a Great Nation in Trouble
- No Trump
- RNC's Reince Priebus Takes on Obama
- Ryan Budget Plan: Disaster for America
- Obama's Budget Deficit Speech Shows He's Willing to Say Anything
- Turning 50 Under GOP's Proposed Medicare Reform
- Medicare Isn't the Problem, It's the Solution
- Republicans Blindly Attack Social Justice
- Atlas Shrugged: The Movie
- Tax Check Off Program Just an Entitlement for Politicians
- Tax Payer Checkoff Protects Against Corruption
- More Taxpayer Money Spent on Mail During Election Years
- Obama's Approach to Libya Fodder for 2012 Presidential Campaign
- Budget Deal Leaves Both Sides Unhappy
- A Life Lesson
- Obama's Delusion
- Dreamland USA
- Who's In Charge?
- Supreme Court Decision Defies Madison
- It's Time NPR Grew Up and Supported Itself
- Uncertain Trumpet: Eric Holder Sees the Light
- Real Class Warfare
- NAACP and Right-Wing Foes Get Friendly
- Glenn Beck: Too Crazy For Fox -- And That's Crazy!
- Putting the Spotlight on the Sacrifices of Those Left Behind
- Why We Must Raise Taxes on the Rich
- Reaganomics? Meet 'Ryan-omics'
- If General Electric Does Not Pay Taxes, Why Can't We?
- How the GOP Has Already Won the Government Shutdown Fight
- Government Shutdown Deadline Nears After Obama's Budget Meeting
- GOP and Liberals Both Attack Obama on Libya
- The Conservative Case Against the Death Penalty
- Obama in 2012
- Obama's Sideline Strategy
- What Obama Doctrine?
- Enough With Obama's Birth Certificate
- China Sees the Evil of Plastic Bags
- Spreading Wealth the Right Way
- Technology Powers Revolutions and Saves Lives
- Chances for a New US Foreign Policy Not Taken
- GOP Finally Shifts Focus to Jobs
- High Gas Prices Could Hurt Obama in 2012
- Voters Think New Jersey's Chris Christie Can Beat Obama
- Beware Condemning Barack Obama For a Low Bully Pulpit Profile
- Another Obama Detour
- National Service Budget Cuts Could Devastate Nonprofits and Communities
- Where's The Tea Party Love?
- Birther Idiots Show Their True Color
- Why Liberals Love the Birthers
- Another Muslim Country, Another War
- Richard Shelby: This Senator Is Lost in Space
- 3 Reasons the U.S. Economy Remains in a Coma
- The Biggest Lies About Jobs
- Why Higher Unemployment Might Not Be a Bad Thing
- It's BACK! The Return of Stagflation
- President Obama's Most Amazing Libyan Achievements
- Prudent Multilateralism in Libya
- Insanity Dawn
- President Obama's 'New Model' of U.S.-Latin American Ties
- Obama Said He Doesn't Mind Criticism on Libya Mission in Latin America
Available at Amazon.com:
Koch Brothers War on America | Politics
(c) 2011 TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.