The election environment has turned so ugly for Democrats that one of their most celebrated election advisers is suggesting days of prayer and pure luck to hold off a fall disaster.
Asked what he'd advise Democrats up for election to do,
They and other Democratic analysts say that even with
healthcare reform passed, the public is disgruntled with
The duo issued a new poll that
revealed yet another problem for Democrats: Americans are
angered with the deficit and are talking about it all the
time. Some 74 percent, said the
And the bad news doesn't end there. Traditional Democratic voters like unmarried women and blacks are getting socked with unemployment. "Pessimism has jumped"among those groups, said the poll.
Plus, Democrats have lost ground on whom voters trust to fix the economy. Democrats now hold a 13-point advantage on the question of who would fix the deficit and an 11-point advantage on which party would cut spending best.
To get out of this mess, Carville has a prescription.
First, he says that the political environment has to somehow
change so that it isn't so negative toward Democrats. Second,
the Democrats have to warn that even while voters might not
like President Obama's "two steps forward" on major policy
initiatives, they'd hate if the
Available at Amazon.com:
Read the latest political news.
- Democrats and Obama Go on Attack
- Clash of the Titans: President Vs. Supreme Court
- Carville to Democrats: Pray Now to Avoid Disaster in November
- Simple measure could be top weapon against global warming
- Jim DeMint, Blanche Lincoln and Perils of Progressive Purity Politics
- Sean Hannity Names Obama's 15 Most Radical Aides
- Case for Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour in 2012 Presidential Race
- The Road to Bipartisan Financial Reform
- Tea Party Will Test GOP's Cat-Herding Skills
- Angry but Engaged Electorate
- Obama on the Rebound
- Obama's Self-Vindication
- GOP Tactical Contradiction
- Obama: The Same Old Drill
- The Hostility Follies
- Definition of Political 'Freakout'
- We Must Respect Families and Small Business
- In GOP a Black Comeback
- Right's Anger Could Backfire
- What Would Newt Gingrich Do
- Newt Gingrich Interview
- Drill, Baby, Drill! Obama Embraces Offshore Drilling
- Standing Up for Life or Something Else
- Al-Qaeda has Lost the Battle. But has it Won the War?
Carville to Democrats: Pray Now to Avoid Disaster in November | Paul Bedard
(c) 2010 U.S. News & World Report