It's 1973 All Over Again
Victor Davis Hanson
True, the murder of four Americans in Benghazi has become a mess of partisan bickering. But the disturbing facts now transcend politics. The Obama administration -- the president himself, Secretary of State
The problem is not just that such scapegoating was untrue, but that our officials knew it was untrue when they said it -- given both prior CIA talking-point briefings and phone calls from those on the ground during the attacks.
One theme ties all the bizarre aspects of Benghazi scandal together -- the doctored talking points, the inexplicable failure to beef up diplomatic security before the attacks and to send in help during the fighting, the jailing of a petty con artist on the false charge that his amateur video had led to attacks on our consulate, and the shabby treatment of nonpartisan
There was an overarching pre-election desire last year to downplay any notion that al-Qaeda remained a serious danger after the much ballyhooed killing of
As the congressional hearings on Benghazi were taking place last week, we also learned that the
Instead, groups with suspiciously American names like "Patriot" or "Tea Party" prompted
At about the same time as the Benghazi and
Unfortunately, such relationships are not rare with this administration. The head of
And there is more. The
Apparently, in the logic of the Obama White House and the
Last month, the congressional architect of Obamacare, Sen.
Democrats are panicking because before the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is even fully implemented in the midterm election year 2014, it appears neither affordable nor protective of patients. That reality was long ago foreseeable -- given that Obamacare passed on a strictly partisan vote, with a number of questionable legislative payoffs to skeptical fence-sitting Democrats, and even after Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, who helped ram the bill through the House, admitted that, "We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it."
What is the common denominator in all these second-term administration embarrassments? "Hope and change" is fast becoming the 1973 Nixon White House.
Read the latest political news.
- We're Surrendering Our Civil Liberties
- Breakout from Politics of the Past
- Freedom: The Unfolding Revolution
- Another Do-nothing Congress
- When Government Can't be Trusted
- The Press and Dr. Faustus
- Snowden Out in the Cold
- National Security vs Privacy
- Too Many Secrets Spoil Our Safety
- Secrecy Scandal? Not So Much
- More Big Brother Snooping
- The Two Centers of Unaccountable Power in America
- America's Challenge to Wield Smart Power
- The Path and Price of Citizenship
- Republicans Head for New Defeat in 2016
- A Congress Divided
- Immigration Wedge Issue Splits GOP
- The GOP's Immigration Tussle
- Republicans: Avoiding a Death Spiral
- Civil Rights Assaulted by Supreme Court
- Supreme Court Decisions Rattle SCOTUS Credibility
- Polling Disenfranchisement will be more difficult to flag
- Supreme Court: Affirming Voting Action
- Supreme Court: No Standard
- Supreme Court: 'Diversity' Means More than Race
- Obama Sitting Short in the Saddle
- Snowden a Fool, Not a Spy
- Snowden Leak Reveals the Ridiculous Reach of Federal Power
- Edward Snowden and The Dangers of Amateurism
- NSA's PRISM Program Falls Victim to an Ego Trip
- Time to Dial Up Some Healthy Skepticism
- Why the GOP Can't Learn
- Divided Government: Washington Closing, States Moving in Opposite Directions
- Your Government on War
- Obama's Lame Attempt to Justify His Old, New War
- The Triumph of Progressivism: Graduation 2013 and 1968
- What Obama Legacy?
- We Cannot Trust Obama
- Bugnut 'Reporter' Makes Mental Health a Political Issue
- Holding the National Security Course
- Advice for the GOP: Chill
- Reinventing Watergate
- America's Vast Margin of Error
- Abortion Rights Not Synonymous with Women's Health
- Leaking Attorney General Holder's Meeting
- Foreign Affairs
- How to Spell Success
- Bob Dole: America's Veteran
- (Dole)ing Out Blame for Gridlock
- Bob Dole Takes His Turn in Political Parlor Game
- The Old Order is Dying
- Bye-Bye to Michele Bachmann's Twitter-Era Politics
- Bye-Bye, Bachmann
- Conservativism Needs to Purge Eugenics Obsession
- When Untruth Undermines Democracy
- Niall Ferguson's Blooper
- Damage Control Again
- Boxing Obama In
- Scandals Put Presidential Credibility on the Line
- It's 1973 All Over Again
- The President's Morehouse Address
- Press Shield has Holes
- What Next? A Drone War Against The Press?
- On Press Freedoms, Obama Races Nixon to Bottoms
- First Amendment Clause-Trophobia
- Obama's Uncertain Trumpet
- Obama's Second-Term Blues
- A Challenge to Young Obama Supporters
- Paranoid or Prescient?
- Obama's Revealing Reflections
- A Stain on the Democratic Brand
- Obama's 'Idiot' Defense
- Memo on IRS Scandal
- IRS Went After Small Fry, But Let The Big Ones Get Away
- The Buck Stops Short
- Right-Wing Reflex: Blame Obama First
- IRS Follows Obama's lead
- Tyranny is No Longer 'Lurking'
- What was the IRS Thinking?
- Sanitized Society Puts Hygiene Hypothesis to the Test
- The Coming Obamacare Disaster
- Taxing Internet Sales
- It Takes Two to End a War
- It's Too Easy to Become a Terrorist
- Benghazi, IRS: Son of Watergate?
- Benghazi's Smoking Guns
- Bad Faith and Benghazi
- Should the United States Continue to be the Indispensable Nation?
- The Dilution of Journalism
- Global Domination and Databases
- Dick, Ike and Ted
- Usual Suspects Using Terror Attacks to Bludgeon Immigration Reform
- Deportation: The D-word
- The Case Against Cutting Social Security and Medicare
- Useless Baggage
- Flying Over an Act of Monumental Stupidity
- Drone World
- Where Our Democracy Works and Where It Doesn't
- America's Just Not That into Obama
- 2017: After Obama
- Beware Public Opinion
- Why Do Liberals Fear Success?
- The Stealth Sequester
- 'Right wing' Does Not Equal 'Terrorist'
- Dubya's Library Opens Debate About Presidential Record
- Obama Eye-Candy Comment Leaves Sour Aftertaste
- Where Obama Should Listen to Rand Paul: Legal Pot
- Rand Paul Gets Schooled at Howard University
- Rand Paul has Explaining to Do
- Conversation Starters Paisley, Paul are Taking Their Lumps
- An Odd Push to Privatize Marriage
- Fear of Gay Marriage Backlash Overblown
- Can GOP Reverse the Damage Done by Iraq?
- Hagel's Challenge
- Wasn't Sandy Hook Enough?
- Gun Vote Reveals New GOP Divide
- Marco Rubio Comes Up Short on Gun Control
- Obama's Limited War on Guns
- School is a Battlefield, and NRA Determined to Keep it that Way
- Gun Laws and Human Nature
- Grief Without Borders
- Immigration: Of Athens and Jerusalem
- Chasing Infinity
- Why the Boston Bombers Succeeded
- Pollution in the News Stream
- Banking on the Poor
- Austerity Leaves Us Crying '96 Tears'
It's 1973 All Over Again | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc.