Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
Could it be that President Obama's best chance for re-election in November is ...
The dismal state of the economy, and especially the stagnant high unemployment rate, clearly are red flags for Obama's hopes of retaining the
That possibility helps explain why the Obama campaign and its super PAC allies have been hammering so hard on Romney's claim to be a Mr. Fix-It of the business world. They are focusing particularly on his past stewardship of
The Obama strategists could only have been incredulous that their counterparts had sent the foreign-policy deficient Romney abroad on a late July detour to
An old adage in politics, as in sports, is that you can't beat somebody with nobody. Romney, a wildly successful business and investment entrepreneur, certainly can't be dismissed as a nobody. But apparently he has yet to pass either the credibility or the likeability test with many voters. And that includes the most conservative members of his own party and of the tea party movement that has become a major stockholder in it.
Obama strategists have turned to Romney as their prime whipping boy after nearly four years of trying to resurrect former President
Obama got elected partly on the strength of public fatigue over the man called Dubya, and in 2010 he tried to use Bush's ghost to win control of
The president on occasion still tries to beat that political dead horse. But for one reason or another, the voters seem willing to forget the recklessness in both economic and military decision-making of arguably the worst presidency in our lifetimes. What they want to know now is who is better equipped and more likely to put the American economy back on track.
It must be said that Obama has not been particularly effective in accentuating the positive. He trumpeted his major foreign-policy achievement in overseeing the finding and killing of
By emphasizing popular features -- such as the inclusion of dependents up to age 26 on parents' policies and mandating coverage for pre-existing conditions -- he has put the best face on the legislation. Until all its features are in force, however, it will remain a hard sell. At least the
Therefore, he and his strategists have turned with a vengeance to the negative. They are playing on the continuing doubts about Romney as a man of presidential stature. And they are questioning his understanding of and empathy for the middle class, as so conspicuously a rich guy.
Romney now has two opportunities to persuade the doubters among the public. The first will be his selection of a running mate. At a minimum, he can't afford to pick the functional equivalent of a
Read the latest political news.
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
- 2012 Elections: 100 Days is a Long Time
- Truth Meets the Gaffe Factory
- The Election, the Presidency and Foreign Policy
- Tax Cut Kabuki
- De-Bushing Mitt Romney
- Texas GOP Wages War on Thinking
- Time to Listen to the Other America
- President Obama: You're No Bill Clinton
- What's Behind Hatred of Obama?
- Cleaning Up Campaign Finance
- Supreme Court, Inc.
- His So-called 'Post-Racial' Presidency
- The Terrible Economy and the Anti-Election of 2012
- Marching Toward Greater Inequality
- The Rich Grabbing Bigger Slices of Pie
- Turning College Students into a Commodity
- My Quest for 'Commonsense' Gun Laws
- Gun Lobby Fires Up Obama Fear
- One Nation, Under the Gun
- The Persistent Threat to Soft Targets
- Romney Opens Mouth, Only to Make a Joke of Himself
- Green Scissors for Congress
- The Truth About Obama's Tax Proposal (And The Lies Some are Telling About It)
- Mitt Romney Stays Mum on Tax Avoidance
- Condi Rice Rumor Reveals Divisions in Romney Camp and on the Right
- The African-American Swing State
- Mitt Romney's Tour Starts in Wrong Place
- Teen Assailed for Outgrowing Conservatism
Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival? | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.