Hillary Clinton's Dodgy Testimony
A lot of people in
In her testimony before both the
Aided by a ridiculous format, she outfoxed most of the Republicans with ease.
Meanwhile, the Democrats, almost uniformly, seemed singularly interested in celebrating Mrs. Clinton as a global diva who somehow manages to carry the burden of her awesomeness with humility and grace. If smoking were still allowed in the Capitol, one could easily imagine her removing a cigarette from a gold case, tapping it nonchalantly on the witness table, and the entire Democratic caucus leaping over their desks for the chance to light it for her.
The most dramatic moment came early, when
It is a measure of Clinton's cult-like status on the left and among much of the press that this passed for a satisfactory, never mind impressive, response. But it's also a tribute to Clinton's gift for mendacity that it worked so well.
Even among the administration's harshest critics, people seemed at a loss to fully explain what difference it makes whether the administration's spin was true or not. For many, the answer is simply that government officials shouldn't lie. That's a necessary criticism, but hardly sufficient.
But just to be clear, Clinton lied and is still lying. When asked about the claim that the attack was sparked by a protest over a video, she responded, "I did not say ... that it was about the video for
That's simply untrue. When she stood by the caskets of the four Americans killed in
Moreover, Clinton was part of an administration that crafted an entire PR strategy to blame these attacks on "an awful Internet video."
But again, the lying, while outrageous, is incidental to the real offense, which is twofold. First, why did the administration lie? Well, it wanted to conceal its utter failure to prepare for terrorist attacks on
Indeed, on this score, Clinton was true to her word. While none of the murderers have been apprehended, the filmmaker is in jail, the picture of his arrest splashed across the globe.
Which brings us to the second part: the nature of the lie. Remember, not all lies are equally harmful. In this case, the U.S. government responded to the murder of four Americans by treating our constitutional rights as part of the problem. A former teacher of constitutional law, Obama was happy to watch the country argue new limits on free expression and the necessity of giving bloodthirsty savages and terrorists a heckler's veto on what Americans can do or say.
Clinton was in on that lie, and that makes all the difference in the world.
Read the latest political news.
- Has Obama Kept His Open-Government Pledge?
- State of the Union Allows Presidents to Outline Agenda
- State of the Union Address Likely to Focus on Domestic Issues
- Obama Again Offers to Negotiate Big Deficit Deal
- Immigration Reform Plan is a Farce
- The GOP Crack-up and Obama's Unraveling of the Republican Coalition
- GOP: Rest in Peace?
- A Time to Build
- Obama's Challenge
- Obama's Debt-Ceiling Strategy Could Put The Squeeze on GOP
- Obama's Battle Hymn of the Republic
- Why I'm Singing the Inauguration Blues
- Obama's Inaugural Address Not Progressive Enough
- Taking Joe Biden Seriously
- Targeting Hillary Clinton
- Hillary Clinton Grilled, Punches Back
- Hillary Clinton's Dodgy Testimony
- Wake Up, Socially Liberal Fiscal Conservatives
- When Big Deficits Became Good
- No Labels, No Excuses
- Another Second Inauguration
- Obama 2.0: The Sequel
- Big Government 2.0
- Oh, Yesterday Went Suddenly
- Time to Grow Up, GOP
- Roe v. Wade at 40
- An Imperial President
- Obama's Flip-Flops on Money in Politics
- Control Politicians, Not Guns
- Obama Goes Big on Gun Control, But Can He Deliver?
- Appropriate Job for Big NRA Backer
- Female vs Male Senators
- Chuck Hagel: A Petty Decision by Obama
- Chuck Hagel and Defense
- U.S. Policy as Global Security Provider Built on Plymouth Rock
- Avoiding the Wars That Never End
- I Am Because You Are
- Warm Coats and Inaugural Memories
- War On Pot Has Gone Up in Smoke
- Second Amendment Vigilantes
- Obama Calls for Debt Ceiling Increase
- Don't Blame Me if Obama's Second Term Disappoints
- Debt Ceiling: Let's Pay Our Bills
- The Billionaires' Long Game
- GOP: Groping Old Party
- On to the Next Cliff
- Congress and the Fiscal Cliff: More of the Same
- The Dropped Ball
- Fiscal Cliff Deal Won't End War Between Democrats and Republicans
- Joe Biden Has the Last Laugh
- When Uncle Sam Pays Dividends
- Winning Ugly: Obama and the Fiscal Cliff
- Obama's 2013 priorities -- and Guns
- The Year That Was in Politics
- 2012: When Dreams Died
- Don't Tread on Six-Toed Cats
- The Crisis of the Middle Class and American Power
- What Price U.S. Citizenship?
- The Geopolitics of Immigration
- The Great New-Year Stampede
- Not So Merry Christmas For Congress and President
- John Boehner's 'Plan B' Gamble
- Republicans Would Rather Upgrade Afghan Infrastructure Than Our Own
- Who's Afraid of the Fiscal Cliff?
- The Kingdom of Fairness
Hillary Clinton's Dodgy Testimony | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc