Gulf Spill Can Kill Our Tourist Season
That's the official position of
It turns out that oil is gushing from that blown-out rig off the
Oh, and if you're keeping count, there are three leaks -- not two -- in the mile-long pipe that connected the platform to the wellhead.
The slick is larger than
Barely a month ago, President Obama announced plans to expand offshore oil operations in the eastern
It won't bring down the price of gasoline one penny at the pump, and it won't yield enough crude oil to light up America for even a year -- but, hey, what harm could it do?
The oil companies know how to find oil, and they sure know how to drill. The only part of the underwater operation that they haven't really nailed down is how to clean up their spills.
Soon after the Deepwater Horizon rig caught fire and sank, killing 11 workers, BP sent remote-controlled submarines to shut a master valve near the source of the outflow. It didn't work.
Plan B is to dig a relief well in the hopes of intercepting the oil before it reaches the fractured pipe. Plan C is to plug up the spewing hole with mud, concrete or a heavy liquid.
At a depth of 5,000 feet, either project will take weeks or months, during which time the oil would continue leaking.
Meanwhile, as this column is being written, BP is lighting parts of the
The company is also assembling an extremely large dome -- I swear -- that engineers could lower to the ocean floor and place over the leak in an attempt to capture the oil.
Maybe when they're done, they can give it to Wile E. Coyote so he can use it to trap the roadrunner.
BP says everything possible is being done to stop the leak and contain the spill. That's probably true, which is sobering.
Despite all the assurances from Big Oil and the politicians who are in its pocket, the technology of undersea drilling is dangerously lagging when it comes to protecting the coastal communities whose economies depend on clean water, clean beaches and healthy fisheries.
Last week, BP's chief executive,
Good luck trying to sell that line: "Hey, folks, that brown stuff all over the beach? Don't think of it as tar. Think of it as Snapple."
On Friday, with the spill blooming into a disaster, the
Under the plan announced in March by Obama, drilling in
Perfectly safe, they say. Y'all just relax.
Two days after exploding, the Deepwater Horizon went down on
Miles of protective booms have been laid along the marshes. Officials are considering cannon fire to scare away birds, so they don't land in the goo. Another idea is to recruit local shrimp boats as oil skimmers.
Because BP hasn't been able to cap the leak, the Obama administration is sending U.S. military assistance. In other words, the
If it had happened near
By all means, let's surround
One medium-sized blowout could trash miles of shoreline and kill a tourist season. Nothing sells seaside hotel rooms like YouTube videos of gunk-covered turtles and dead pelicans.
This is a no-brainer.
With the crud from the
Available at Amazon.com:
Read the latest political news.
- How Government Can Make the American Public Happy
- The Elephant's Tin Ear
- Sarah Palin Headed to NRA Convention
- Charlie Crist, Dan Coats and the Republican Purge Movement
- On Inclusiveness GOP Just Cannot Win
- Energy - Climate Bill Stalled in the Senate
- Census Reports Less Backlash Than Expected
- Congress Had a Role in the Financial Crisis
- White House Expects Battle Over Supreme Court Nominee
- How to Prepare Obama's Supreme Court Nominee
- Jeb Bush Leads Fight for Immigration Reform
- Why Don't They Come Legally? They Can't
- Shame on Arizona
- States' Rights (and Wrongs)
- School Competition Restores Hope
- Blame Those Dogged Liberals
- BP Oil Spill Calamity: Having to Play Defense
- Drill, Baby, Drill? Make BP Pay
- Gulf Spill Can Kill Our Tourist Season
- Brits Borrowing from American Political Playbook
- Guns vs. Butter 2010
- Obama Edge on Financial Reform
- Resisting Wall Street Reform
- Time to Break up the Big Banks
- Obama Criticism of Arizona Immigration Law Ignores Federal Incompetence
- Arizona's Illegal Immigration Catch
- Open Season on Latinos in Arizona
- Arizona Takes Off Its 'Rainbow Shades'
- Arizona's Ugly but Necessary Immigration Law
- What Obama Can Learn From Bush
- Obama's Promise to Work With Foreign Governments
- Voter Anger Could Doom Democrats in Fall Elections
- Midterm Congressional Elections: Replicating Obama 2008
- Fran Hawthorne Discusses 'The Overloaded Liberal'
- Obama Should Not Appoint Another Appeals Judge to Supreme Court
- Presidents and Wars: Of Laureates and Cowboys
- Come November, 'The Fire Next Time'?
- Slick Willie Is Back and He's After the Tea Party
- Timing of Tea Party's Rise is Telling
- Tea Parties a Delayed Bush Backlash
- The Starving Armenians
- Capitalism vs. Capitalists
- Independent Charlie Crist Will Be Fun to Watch
- Prayer and State
- Obama Aims to Escape Washington Bubble
- Obama America's World Leader
- West Virginia Mining Disaster and Financial Crisis Have Same Root Cause
- Congressional Pig Book: Pigs at the Trough
- Five Reasons Harry Reid Can Win Reelection
- Clarence Thomas for President or Budget Boss
- Replacing Justice Stevens
- Empathy and the Supreme Court
- America Needs a Proud Liberal on the Supreme Court
- Fear Factor: Swine Flu, Nuclear Weapons, Reacting to Doom
- Women Leading and Stirring Tea Party Movement
- Watch What Obama Says Not What He Does on Cap and Trade Off-Shore Drilling
- Media Cheers Obama Ignores Tea Party Movement
- Tea Party and the Press: The Inconvenience of Truth
- Tea Parties Bust and Believe Stereotypes
- Tea Party Protesting the Protestors
- Republicans Doing Banks' Bidding
- To John McCain's Integrity: Rest in Peace
- How Much Taxation Is Enough
- Obama & Democrats Face Brighter Political Future
- Internet Was Buzzing About Healthcare But Obama Buzz Dropped
- United States - 5 Ways to Keep America Great
- Rise of Political Extremism and the Decline of Decency
- Why Democrats Should Try Bipartisanship
- Justice Gives up Bungled Abramoff-Related Lobbying Case
- Obama's Climate Czar Working Toward National Energy Policy
- Obama: Gold Standard of Manners
- Obama's Offshore Oil Decision Has Political Dimension
- Ongoing Melodrama of Victims and Oppressors
- Nuclear Roulette: The Obama Doctrine
- Pivot to Foreign Policy: American-Russian Cooperation
- Republicans Need a Plan B for Health Care
- Obamacare: The Eye of the Storm
- Health Care Bill - Aroused Vox Populi
- Michael Steele: GOP Leadership Dilemma
- Michael Steele fights GOP Culture Gap
- If We Europeanize Europe Is in Trouble
- The Next Injustice - Supreme Court Nominations
- Obama & Democrats Go On Attack
- Clash of the Titans: President Vs. Supreme Court
- Carville to Democrats: Pray Now to Avoid Disaster in November
- Simple measure could be top weapon against global warming
- Jim DeMint, Blanche Lincoln and Perils of Progressive Purity Politics
- Sean Hannity Names Obama's 15 Most Radical Aides
- Case for Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour in 2012 Presidential Race
- The Road to Bipartisan Financial Reform
- Tea Party Will Test GOP's Cat-Herding Skills
- Angry but Engaged Electorate
- Obama on the Rebound
- Obama's Self-Vindication
- GOP Tactical Contradiction
- Obama: The Same Old Drill
- The Hostility Follies
- Definition of Political 'Freakout'
- We Must Respect Families and Small Business
- In GOP a Black Comeback
- Right's Anger Could Backfire
- What Would Newt Gingrich Do
- Newt Gingrich Interview
- Drill, Baby, Drill! Obama Embraces Offshore Drilling
- Standing Up for Life or Something Else
- Al-Qaeda has Lost the Battle. But has it Won the War?
Gulf Spill Can Kill Our Tourist Season | Politics
(c) 2010 Carl Hiaasen