GOP Assault on Workers' Rights Continues
First, a quick walk through some American history that might surprise you.
In 1927, a U.S. congressman from
Describing what happened when an
Partnering with Sen.
The surprise? All three men were Republicans.
Now fast forward to
That was one of Romney's top priorities. Because in
But Romney was not breaking new plutocratic ground, just toeing the party line. Today's
ALEC is an enterprise funded by major corporations that brings state leaders to private conferences and sends them off with "model" legislation. One of ALEC's favorites is its wage suppression agenda, which targets anything that smacks of government helping workers gain decent treatment.
For instance, in
But it's not going to happen anywhere in
Conservatives love the idea of home rule and local control, except when it would give workers a fairer shake on the job.
Initiatives like these are always sold as necessary for business growth and development. Yet some of the nation's most liberal cities and states (the Northeast, the
Legislating in the shadow of
Read the latest political news.
- Usual Suspects Using Terror Attacks to Bludgeon Immigration Reform
- Deportation: The D-word
- The Case Against Cutting Social Security and Medicare
- Useless Baggage
- Flying Over an Act of Monumental Stupidity
- Drone World
- Where Our Democracy Works and Where It Doesn't
- America's Just Not That into Obama
- 2017: After Obama
- Beware Public Opinion
- Why Do Liberals Fear Success?
- The Stealth Sequester
- 'Right wing' Does Not Equal 'Terrorist'
- Dubya's Library Opens Debate About Presidential Record
- Obama Eye-Candy Comment Leaves Sour Aftertaste
- Where Obama Should Listen to Rand Paul: Legal Pot
- Rand Paul Gets Schooled at Howard University
- Rand Paul has Explaining to Do
- Conversation Starters Paisley, Paul are Taking Their Lumps
- An Odd Push to Privatize Marriage
- Fear of Gay Marriage Backlash Overblown
- Can GOP Reverse the Damage Done by Iraq?
- Hagel's Challenge
- Wasn't Sandy Hook Enough?
- Gun Vote Reveals New GOP Divide
- Marco Rubio Comes Up Short on Gun Control
- Obama's Limited War on Guns
- School is a Battlefield, and NRA Determined to Keep it that Way
- Gun Laws and Human Nature
- Grief Without Borders
- Immigration: Of Athens and Jerusalem
- Chasing Infinity
- Why the Boston Bombers Succeeded
- Pollution in the News Stream
- Banking on the Poor
- Austerity Leaves Us Crying '96 Tears'
- A Shortage of Mercy
- The Separation of Profit and State
- The Morality Brigade
- What Would RFK Do?
- On Partisan Echo Chambers
- Campaign Finance Reform Brings About Strategic Shifts
- Big Sugar's Subsidy -- How Sweet It Is
- Dr. Ben Carson, New Right-Wing Hero
- One of These Things is Not Like the Other
- GOP Assault on Workers' Rights Continues
- One More Bush?
- Gun Control's Timid Advocates
- Gun Lobby Defends Their Cynical Business Model
- Right Decision, Wrong Reason
- Obamacare: Unhappy Anniversary
- Fighting the Last Political War
- RNC Power Grab
- The GOP Goes Under the Knife
- GOP Reboot: A 'Grand Open Party?'
- The Demise of Moderate Republicanism
- GOP Needs to Make Up its Mind on Immigration Reform
- Fusion Power on the Right
- Greatest Generation the Most Entitled
- Michael Bloomberg: Freedom to Make Stupid Decisions
- Chuck Hagel Survives
- American Recessional
- On Talking Things Out
- Rand Paul's Stunt Misses the Point
- What Rand Paul Got Right
- Flight of Fancy
- The Downside of Conservative Orthodoxy
- CPAC Unwise to Snub Chris Christie
- It's 'I Told You So' on Obamacare
- Mitt Romney's Surprising Post-Mortem
- Do We Need to Maintain A Dole For Former Presidents?
- Extortionist in Chief
- The Sound of Inevitability
- Bringing California Back
- The California 'Mordida'
- GOP Governors Still Know a Good Deal When They See One
- Governor Scott to Voters: Never Mind
- Another Scandal in Tallahassee? You Bet!
- This Florida Citizen Outraged by Citizens Insurance
- Visions: America after Hegemony
- High Court Ponders: Is Racism Over?
- A Ruling on Racial Progress
- Detroit's Decline
- Death and Life in Maryland
- Signs that the NRA is Losing
- Gilded Class Warriors
- 'Assassination Memo' a First Step in Setting New Warfare Parameters
- The Double Threats
- Rush to the Defense? Not So Fast
- Why Annihilate the GOP?
- A New GOP, or Just A Cosmetic Touchup?
- Government Spending That Isn't Smart
- Obama's Second Coming
- Operation Hubris
- Can the GOP Escape Its Bubble
GOP Assault on Workers' Rights Continues | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc