Fat Cat Urged to Bankroll Anti-Obama Hatefest
Ricketts is a billionaire, having founded
Up until a few days ago, a circle of well-known Republican strategists had been coaching Ricketts to use his wealth to make America hate President Obama.
They'd seen the polls showing that the president is generally well-liked, even by many voters who don't approve of his economic policies. In the most recent Gallup survey, Obama likeability rating was 60 percent. Some Republicans believe that
However, unlike Romney, the Ricketts assault team had no misgivings about playing the race card. According to the
The challenge, it said, is "to inflame their questions on his character and competency, while allowing themselves to still somewhat 'like' the man....." Yet the scheme was far more ambitious than traditional doubt-sowing. The goal was to portray Obama as a radical black man with radical views of America as extolled by a cranky old minister.
All this was leaked in detail to the Times, and
Not to mention the very diverse fan base of the
Supervised by a veteran
Obama publicly severed his ties with the African-American clergyman before the 2008 election, after inflammatory excerpts from Wright's sermons came to light.
At the time, Sen.
Four years later, they saw another chance with
A sample: "The world is about to see
The convention-goers, they assured Ricketts, will be "jolted." Please, Joe, don't unleash the banner planes -- not the same diabolical, cutting-edge tactic used by beer companies at
In a political season that promises a surplus of low blows from both sides, the Ricketts Plan was scripted in the gutter.
When the Times broke the story last Thursday, Romney's camp within nanoseconds declared that Rev. Wright should not and will not be an issue. As a Mormon, Romney has no desire to drag the topic of religious influences into the presidential race.
As the storm grew, a spokesman for Ricketts belatedly hurried to disown the campaign plan, blaming a "vendor" who submitted it for consideration to Ricketts' super PAC. The spokesman said the businessman opposes political attacks "that seek to divide us socially or culturally."
Who knows if the Ricketts Plan would have been executed had it not been leaked so early to the press. Davis, the so-called vendor, is not a rookie and he certainly wasn't operating in a vacuum.
The question is why Republicans would attempt something as risky as using the disavowed commentary of a black preacher to attack Obama. Why spend
Unless that was its purpose -- not to implant racial fears so much as to fire up the bigots who are already out there, and make sure they go to the polls. Romney isn't a racist, but some in his party clearly believe he can't win without a heavy turnout of people who cannot stomach the notion of a black guy in the
Those are the votes that the banner planes were after. When hate is what you're selling, always go low.
Read the latest political news.
- Of Bedrooms and Boardrooms
- Budget Cut Blues: America Needs More Informed Citizenry
- Pentagon Spending Spree
- Why the 'Pro-Growth Centrists' are Wrong
- Social Security's Dual-Income Trap
- Mitt Romney Must Find Tactical Advantage
- New Marco Rubio Faces Key Test
- Mitt Romney's Pitch to Hispanics Won't Work
- Turning the Other Cheek to Donald Trump
- Trampling the Right to Vote
- Ham-Handed Solution to a Problem That Doesn't Exist
- New Florida Voter Purge Should Come As No Surprise
- Romney and Bain: Actual 'Entitlement Society' in Action
- An 'Independent' Super PAC Demonstrates Supreme Court's Folly
- On Picking an Unprepared Vice-President
- Fat Cat Urged to Bankroll Anti-Obama Hatefest
- The Massachusetts Indian War of 2012
- Chameleon Nation
- Cabinets Gone Wild
- Which Kind of Capitalism? A Debate for Obama and Romney
- More Campaign Surrogate Blunders
- Are We Better Off Than in 2008?
- The Defeat of a Man of Reason
- Our Politics is a Mess, But Only One Party is The Cause
- Right-Wing Rage Trips Itself
- 'Money Primary' Pushes Obama to the Left
- Mitt Romney's Stellar Performance
- A Campaign Treading Water
- Mitt Romney Feeds the Crocs
- The Power of the Incumbency
- Demise of a Centrist Nominee Dream
- The Media's Religion Deficit
- Crushing College Dreams
- We Can't Afford Energy Subsidies and Tax Breaks
- The Truth's Liberal Tilt
- Mitt Romney's Media Handicap
- George Bush's Pithy Endorsement
- Spending Debate Creates an Opportunity for Mitt Romney
- The State of the Military-Industrial Complex Is Strong
- Republicans Have Bad Brains?
- The Citizen and the Government
- The President's 'Other Gospel'
- Voter IQs Need Refresher Course
- Cliches Conservatives Say
- Generation Pap
- Are Government's 'Strategic Communications' Coming to American Airwaves?
- The Job Stall
- Who Lost Latin America?
- United States Unlikely To Condemn Argentina's 'Outlaw Behavior' -- Yet
- French Elections Lesson
- Companies Save Big On Corporate Taxes With the Help of Lobbyists
- Happy Anniversary, or Partisan Boasting?
- On Losing Control of the Message
- My Papers? No Thank You
- Pothole Nation
- Why Being 'On The Right Track' Isn't Enough
- The Poor as Collateral Damage
- The Real Deal About College Costs
Fat Cat Urged to Bankroll Anti-Obama Hatefest | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.