Bringing California Back
The state governor who once was America's youngest showed up at the
After persuading the Golden State's voters to put an initiative on the state ballot for construction of the nation's first true high-speed rail line between
The undertaking is only the most dramatic of Brown's second tenure as governor, even as he is pushing an equally ambitious project of tunnels designed to bring
Meanwhile, he has made progress in dealing with the state's overcrowded prison population by transferring short-time offenders of many less serious crimes to local jails and using state money to pay for their upkeep.
A major fight in the next six months, Brown says, will be rallying public support to reallocate state funds in education to schools with disproportionate challenges. At the college level, he is focusing on keeping tuition low -- now
He credits students across the state with a major role in mobilizing votes for the new tax initiative for education, and putting a public face on the campaign. "It became a public debate about investing in schools," he said, and the campaign not only got the initiative on the ballot but also carried it with 55.4 percent of the vote, overcoming
To critics who suggest that a "star system" of faculty heavyweights exists in
In the heyday of Brown's father, Governor
Just as President Obama has had to deal with obstructionist Republicans, Brown noted that the
The resurrection of
Sizing himself up after that long political journey, he remarked: "Both in government and politics, I've spent a lot of time thinking and reading about it. So therefore I feel more confident that when I'm pushing things, I'm pushing in the right direction. ... I realize I used to be one of the youngest (officials) in
Asked whether he will seek a fourth term next year, he said it's too early to say, and quoted the late Gov.
Read the latest political news.
- Usual Suspects Using Terror Attacks to Bludgeon Immigration Reform
- Deportation: The D-word
- The Case Against Cutting Social Security and Medicare
- Useless Baggage
- Flying Over an Act of Monumental Stupidity
- Drone World
- Where Our Democracy Works and Where It Doesn't
- America's Just Not That into Obama
- 2017: After Obama
- Beware Public Opinion
- Why Do Liberals Fear Success?
- The Stealth Sequester
- 'Right wing' Does Not Equal 'Terrorist'
- Dubya's Library Opens Debate About Presidential Record
- Obama Eye-Candy Comment Leaves Sour Aftertaste
- Where Obama Should Listen to Rand Paul: Legal Pot
- Rand Paul Gets Schooled at Howard University
- Rand Paul has Explaining to Do
- Conversation Starters Paisley, Paul are Taking Their Lumps
- An Odd Push to Privatize Marriage
- Fear of Gay Marriage Backlash Overblown
- Can GOP Reverse the Damage Done by Iraq?
- Hagel's Challenge
- Wasn't Sandy Hook Enough?
- Gun Vote Reveals New GOP Divide
- Marco Rubio Comes Up Short on Gun Control
- Obama's Limited War on Guns
- School is a Battlefield, and NRA Determined to Keep it that Way
- Gun Laws and Human Nature
- Grief Without Borders
- Immigration: Of Athens and Jerusalem
- Chasing Infinity
- Why the Boston Bombers Succeeded
- Pollution in the News Stream
- Banking on the Poor
- Austerity Leaves Us Crying '96 Tears'
- A Shortage of Mercy
- The Separation of Profit and State
- The Morality Brigade
- What Would RFK Do?
- On Partisan Echo Chambers
- Campaign Finance Reform Brings About Strategic Shifts
- Big Sugar's Subsidy -- How Sweet It Is
- Dr. Ben Carson, New Right-Wing Hero
- One of These Things is Not Like the Other
- GOP Assault on Workers' Rights Continues
- One More Bush?
- Gun Control's Timid Advocates
- Gun Lobby Defends Their Cynical Business Model
- Right Decision, Wrong Reason
- Obamacare: Unhappy Anniversary
- Fighting the Last Political War
- RNC Power Grab
- The GOP Goes Under the Knife
- GOP Reboot: A 'Grand Open Party?'
- The Demise of Moderate Republicanism
- GOP Needs to Make Up its Mind on Immigration Reform
- Fusion Power on the Right
- Greatest Generation the Most Entitled
- Michael Bloomberg: Freedom to Make Stupid Decisions
- Chuck Hagel Survives
- American Recessional
- On Talking Things Out
- Rand Paul's Stunt Misses the Point
- What Rand Paul Got Right
- Flight of Fancy
- The Downside of Conservative Orthodoxy
- CPAC Unwise to Snub Chris Christie
- It's 'I Told You So' on Obamacare
- Mitt Romney's Surprising Post-Mortem
- Do We Need to Maintain A Dole For Former Presidents?
- Extortionist in Chief
- The Sound of Inevitability
- Bringing California Back
- The California 'Mordida'
- GOP Governors Still Know a Good Deal When They See One
- Governor Scott to Voters: Never Mind
- Another Scandal in Tallahassee? You Bet!
- This Florida Citizen Outraged by Citizens Insurance
- Visions: America after Hegemony
- High Court Ponders: Is Racism Over?
- A Ruling on Racial Progress
- Detroit's Decline
- Death and Life in Maryland
- Signs that the NRA is Losing
- Gilded Class Warriors
- 'Assassination Memo' a First Step in Setting New Warfare Parameters
- The Double Threats
- Rush to the Defense? Not So Fast
- Why Annihilate the GOP?
- A New GOP, or Just A Cosmetic Touchup?
- Government Spending That Isn't Smart
- Obama's Second Coming
- Operation Hubris
- Can the GOP Escape Its Bubble
Bringing California Back | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc