Americans praise civility, but we constantly reward rudeness. That annoying fact of life helps to explain why the blessings that
The switch abruptly came as the conservative radio icon came under attack from all sides for calling a female law student a "slut" and a "prostitute," among other insults in three days of on-air rants. Limbaugh finally apologized over the weekend, as several of his sponsors were reported to be withdrawing their advertising.
Now we know which
Slower to respond were the
Obama publicly broke all ties to the unrepentant Rev. Wright and suffered not a bit with his base. The Republican presidential wannabes are not that lucky. Their attempts to distance themselves from his vile language without losing his supporters come off like profiles in cowardice.
Frontrunner Mitt Romney, approached by a reporter, said Limbaugh's language was "not the language I would have used," then tried to change the subject to the economy before scurrying off.
"I am astonished at the desperation of the elite media to avoid rising gas prices" and several other issues "to suddenly decide that
But let's hear it for Rep.
Helping to confirm Paul's suspicions the next day, Limbaugh's lengthy on-air apology managed to blame his favorite whipping boys and girls, the political left. He just couldn't help himself, he said: "Against my own instincts, against my own knowledge, against everything I know to be right and wrong, I descended to their level when I used those words to describe
Last May, MSNBC suspended host
But don't kid yourself into thinking this is the end of King Rushbo's reign. Like a radio shock jock, he'll probably benefit from his recent negative publicity, as long as his ratings hold up.
The Republican candidates may not get off that easily. Limbaugh has distracted voters from issues like the economy and religious freedom, on which President Obama is vulnerable, over to contraception, an issue that gives credence to the Democrats' charge of a
Read the latest political news.
- Stock Market Picks 90 Percent of Presidential Elections
- Twitter Mentality a Threat to America
- God and Caesar in America
- The God Gap
- When the Senate Worked
- The Congressional Thaw
- Failed Highway Bill Shows Just How Fanatical GOP Has Become
- Starving Public Universities Shrinks the Middle Class
- The GOP's Worst Week
- Why Marco Rubio Can't Save the GOP
- Third-Party Group Wants Internet to Pick Presidential Candidate
- Buddy Roemer to Seek Third-Party Presidential Nomination
- Debt, Baby, Debt: America's Newest Voting Bloc
- GOP Candidates Could All Add to Federal Deficit
- Who is the True GOP Conservative?
- Rick Santorum: The GOP's Unelectable Soul Mate
- Getting to Know Them
- No Republican Middle
- Note to GOP Field: Braggadocio Is Not Leadership
- Rick Santorum Repulses Independent and Moderate Voters
- What Rick Santorum Has Been Saying, And 'Not Saying'
- Only Santorum Addresses Values Issues that Concern Voters
- Rick Santorum Appeals to Only a Minority of Voters
- Mitt Romney Is More Electable, But Needs to Clean Up Campaign
- Both Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum Disappoint Conservatives
- Mitt Romney Can't Be Trusted So Rick Santorum Is More Electable
- Romney's Arizona Law 'Model' Would Hurt All Immigrants
- The Manufacturing Myth
- GOP Candidates Revive Bush Pre-emption Doctrine
- The Tricky Politics of the Auto Bailout
- Protesting Today's Threat to Voting Rights
- Turning a Blind Eye to Government Benefits
- Obama Fights Back on GOP Gas-Price Attacks
- How Sex Hijacked Election Talk
- Rick Santorum's Reverse Snobbery
- Mr. Right Eludes the GOP
- Latino Voters to Candidates: What Are We, Chopped Chorizo?
- Lack of Enthusiasm Isn't Just a GOP Problem
- A Brokered GOP Convention?
- Obama's Cynicism for Me, Not for Thee
- Brash Limbaugh
- The Supreme Court: Politicizing Justice
- Muddying the Playing Field
- National Deficit Result of Wars and Bush Tax Cuts
- Five Ways to Spin Obama Tax Plan
- Social Issues Bring in Popular Vote for Republicans
- Republicans Can Win on Economic Issues, Not a Culture War
- Social Issues Are at the Core of Our Problems
- Republicans Should Focus on the Economy
- GOP Needs to Rethink Positions on Economy, Foreign Policy
- Republican Mean Streak Could Leave GOP Out in the Cold
- Extra Dollars You're Paying At Pump Going To Wall Street Speculators
- A Farewell to Fossil Fuels
- United States Can't Control the World Oil Market
- The Future of U.S. - Chinese Relations
- If American Manufacturers Keep Jobs, So Does Obama
- GOP Will Lose in 2012 if Social Issues Take Center Stage
- Why Looks Are Everything in a Presidential Election
- Swing Voters Need a Champion
- Good Businessmen Rarely Make Good Presidents
- Un-Presidential Primaries
- Inside Rick Santorum's Head
- Improving Economy Driving Independents Back to Obama
Brash Limbaugh | Politics
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services