Bad Faith and Benghazi
"Was it because of a protest or was it because of guys out for a walk one night and decided they'd go kill some Americans? What difference -- at this point, what difference does it make?"
That was how then-Secretary of State
Clinton's fans, in and out of the press, loved her defiant response, and they should be ashamed of themselves for it.
What Clinton was really doing there was deflecting attention away from the fact that she lied. We now know, thanks to Wednesday's congressional hearings and reporting by The Weekly Standard's
Let's return to that lie in a moment.
The hearings exposed another lie. Obama and Clinton have insisted that they did everything they could to help the Americans besieged in
That's simply untrue.
But even if that were true, it would still be a self-serving falsehood.
If you see a child struggling in the ocean, you have no idea how long she will flail and paddle before she goes under for the last time. The moral response is to swim for her in the hope that you get there in time. If you fail and she dies, you can console yourself that you did your best to rescue her.
But if you just stand on the beach and do nothing as the child struggles for life, saying, "Well, there's just no way I can get to her in time," it doesn't really matter whether you guessed right or not. You didn't try.
But we know the administration ordered others who were willing, able and obliged to come to the consulate's rescue to "stand down." They in effect told the lifeguards, "Don't get out of your chairs."
Though an unmanned drone was there to capture the whole thing on video, which must have been reassuring as the mortar rounds rained down.
Never mind that real-time video of the attack is pretty good intelligence. An F-16 doesn't need to blow anyone to hell to have an impact. As military expert and former assistant defense secretary Bing West notes, "99 percent of air sorties over
What motivated the
But we do know they deceived the public. Which brings us back to the lies over the video. In the wake of Benghazi, the country endured an intense debate over how much free speech we could afford because of the savage intolerance of rioters half a world away. Obama and Clinton fueled this debate by incessantly blaming the video -- as if the First Amendment was the problem.
Clinton and Obama both swore oaths to support and defend the Constitution. But after failing to support and defend Americans left to die, they blamed the Constitution for their failure. That's what difference it makes.
Read the latest political news.
- We're Surrendering Our Civil Liberties
- Breakout from Politics of the Past
- Freedom: The Unfolding Revolution
- Another Do-nothing Congress
- When Government Can't be Trusted
- The Press and Dr. Faustus
- Snowden Out in the Cold
- National Security vs Privacy
- Too Many Secrets Spoil Our Safety
- Secrecy Scandal? Not So Much
- More Big Brother Snooping
- The Two Centers of Unaccountable Power in America
- America's Challenge to Wield Smart Power
- The Path and Price of Citizenship
- Republicans Head for New Defeat in 2016
- A Congress Divided
- Immigration Wedge Issue Splits GOP
- The GOP's Immigration Tussle
- Republicans: Avoiding a Death Spiral
- Civil Rights Assaulted by Supreme Court
- Supreme Court Decisions Rattle SCOTUS Credibility
- Polling Disenfranchisement will be more difficult to flag
- Supreme Court: Affirming Voting Action
- Supreme Court: No Standard
- Supreme Court: 'Diversity' Means More than Race
- Obama Sitting Short in the Saddle
- Snowden a Fool, Not a Spy
- Snowden Leak Reveals the Ridiculous Reach of Federal Power
- Edward Snowden and The Dangers of Amateurism
- NSA's PRISM Program Falls Victim to an Ego Trip
- Time to Dial Up Some Healthy Skepticism
- Why the GOP Can't Learn
- Divided Government: Washington Closing, States Moving in Opposite Directions
- Your Government on War
- Obama's Lame Attempt to Justify His Old, New War
- The Triumph of Progressivism: Graduation 2013 and 1968
- What Obama Legacy?
- We Cannot Trust Obama
- Bugnut 'Reporter' Makes Mental Health a Political Issue
- Holding the National Security Course
- Advice for the GOP: Chill
- Reinventing Watergate
- America's Vast Margin of Error
- Abortion Rights Not Synonymous with Women's Health
- Leaking Attorney General Holder's Meeting
- Foreign Affairs
- How to Spell Success
- Bob Dole: America's Veteran
- (Dole)ing Out Blame for Gridlock
- Bob Dole Takes His Turn in Political Parlor Game
- The Old Order is Dying
- Bye-Bye to Michele Bachmann's Twitter-Era Politics
- Bye-Bye, Bachmann
- Conservativism Needs to Purge Eugenics Obsession
- When Untruth Undermines Democracy
- Niall Ferguson's Blooper
- Damage Control Again
- Boxing Obama In
- Scandals Put Presidential Credibility on the Line
- It's 1973 All Over Again
- The President's Morehouse Address
- Press Shield has Holes
- What Next? A Drone War Against The Press?
- On Press Freedoms, Obama Races Nixon to Bottoms
- First Amendment Clause-Trophobia
- Obama's Uncertain Trumpet
- Obama's Second-Term Blues
- A Challenge to Young Obama Supporters
- Paranoid or Prescient?
- Obama's Revealing Reflections
- A Stain on the Democratic Brand
- Obama's 'Idiot' Defense
- Memo on IRS Scandal
- IRS Went After Small Fry, But Let The Big Ones Get Away
- The Buck Stops Short
- Right-Wing Reflex: Blame Obama First
- IRS Follows Obama's lead
- Tyranny is No Longer 'Lurking'
- What was the IRS Thinking?
- Sanitized Society Puts Hygiene Hypothesis to the Test
- The Coming Obamacare Disaster
- Taxing Internet Sales
- It Takes Two to End a War
- It's Too Easy to Become a Terrorist
- Benghazi, IRS: Son of Watergate?
- Benghazi's Smoking Guns
- Bad Faith and Benghazi
- Should the United States Continue to be the Indispensable Nation?
- The Dilution of Journalism
- Global Domination and Databases
- Dick, Ike and Ted
- Usual Suspects Using Terror Attacks to Bludgeon Immigration Reform
- Deportation: The D-word
- The Case Against Cutting Social Security and Medicare
- Useless Baggage
- Flying Over an Act of Monumental Stupidity
- Drone World
- Where Our Democracy Works and Where It Doesn't
- America's Just Not That into Obama
- 2017: After Obama
- Beware Public Opinion
- Why Do Liberals Fear Success?
- The Stealth Sequester
- 'Right wing' Does Not Equal 'Terrorist'
- Dubya's Library Opens Debate About Presidential Record
- Obama Eye-Candy Comment Leaves Sour Aftertaste
- Where Obama Should Listen to Rand Paul: Legal Pot
- Rand Paul Gets Schooled at Howard University
- Rand Paul has Explaining to Do
- Conversation Starters Paisley, Paul are Taking Their Lumps
- An Odd Push to Privatize Marriage
- Fear of Gay Marriage Backlash Overblown
- Can GOP Reverse the Damage Done by Iraq?
- Hagel's Challenge
- Wasn't Sandy Hook Enough?
- Gun Vote Reveals New GOP Divide
- Marco Rubio Comes Up Short on Gun Control
- Obama's Limited War on Guns
- School is a Battlefield, and NRA Determined to Keep it that Way
- Gun Laws and Human Nature
- Grief Without Borders
- Immigration: Of Athens and Jerusalem
- Chasing Infinity
- Why the Boston Bombers Succeeded
- Pollution in the News Stream
- Banking on the Poor
- Austerity Leaves Us Crying '96 Tears'
Bad Faith and Benghazi | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc.