78 Percent of Americans Dissatisfied with Government
Washington, D.C., United States
The political infighting over the debt ceiling, continued unemployment and frustration over partisan politics continues to drive America's opinion of its lawmakers lower.
A new poll finds 78 percent of Americans are dissatisfied with the the way this country's political system is working, up from 61 percent in November 2009.
A survey conducted by the Washington Post newspaper found 71 percent of Americans believe the federal government is mostly focused on the wrong things, up from 55 percent in October 2010.
Among Independent voters, 43 percent say both sides are focused on the wrong issues.
Americans surveyed are also bipartisan in their blame; 30 percent blame President Barack Obama and Democrats for taking the country in the wrong direction, while 30 percent blame Republican leaders and 32 percent blame both parties equally.
When it comes to confidence, 36 percent of Americans have no confidence in Obama to make the right decisions about the country's economic future, while 33 percent feel the same way about Republicans in Congress.
Read the latest political news.
- Americans Favor Tax Hikes on Wealthy to Reduce Nation's Debt
- 78 Percent of Americans Dissatisfied with Government
- Standard and Poor's Downgrade Not Likely to End Partisan Gridlock
- America Forced to Swallow 'Satan Sandwich'
- Tightening the Pentagon's Belt
- The Only Social Security Reform Worth Considering
- Shock Study: U.S. Flag Only Boosts GOP
- For These Republicans, There's Only One Problem: Obama
- Obama Should Take a Lesson from George H.W. Bush
- Is the President in Recovery?
- Will Debt Deal Cost Obama His Liberal Base?
- Is the Tea Party Over?
- Debt Ceiling Stalemate Illustrates the Tea Party's Reality Gap
- Should You Talk Politics Online?
- Talkin' About Your Generation
- Spare Us the Sermons Mr. President
- Don't Assume the Hispanic Vote Is a Democratic Lock
- Political Will for Corporate Tax Reform Reaching Critical Mass
- Democrats Get Ready for Next Debt Fight
- America Downgraded!
- Who Stands for Americans?
- Along with Lack of Jobs, A Wage Problem
- What The Economy Looks Like at Stall Speed
- The Empathy Deficit
- Crisis of Confidence: Debt Debate Erodes US Global Standing
- What Fox News Is Not
- Obama Is No LBJ
- Partisanship Run Amok Obama Is Out of Options
- 2012 Elections: Reagan Playbook No Longer Applies
- Alec Baldwin Going Back To School To Become Mayor Of NYC
- The Terminology of Taxation
- United States Debt Downgrade Won't Have Much Short-Term Effect on Foreign Policy
- Global Economic Downturn: A Crisis of Political Economy
- United States Economy A Pyramid Scheme
- Raising Debt Ceiling United States Avoids Default
- China Expresses Disgust Over United States Debt Deal
- Debt Ceiling Deal Could Threaten Economic Recovery
- Congress's Spending Debate Won't End With Debt Ceiling
- Debt Deal: Ransom Paid
- Debt Deal - Bold Step; Wrong Direction
- Debt Deal: One-Sided Compromise
- Debt Deal: A Satanic Deal for Debt Fighters
- Obama Signs Compromise Debt Ceiling Bill
- Debt Deal Puts Off Hard Choices for Now
- Senate Set to Give Final Approval to Debt Ceiling Bill
- Despite Debt Deal, Prolonged Deadlock Caused Political Damage
- Who Won the Debt Ceiling Standoff?
- GOP 2012 Contenders Criticize Debt Deal
- Florida Rejects Grants from Affordable Care Act
- Media Takeaways From the Latest Round of Scandals
- Michele Bachmann's 'Submerged' Benefits
- Fight Over Financial Safeguards: Another Front In The Partisan Warfare
- Green, Shovel-Ready Stimulus -- 100 Years Ago
- When Politics Stop Working
- Conservative Appeals Court Judge Paves the Way for Affordable Health Care
- New Fears EPA Smog Rule Will Cost 7.3 Million Jobs
- Eroding the Social Contract
- Can 'Gang of Six' Save the Day on Debt Ceiling?
- Do We Need the Debt Ceiling?
- The Ideologue in the Oval Office
- The Rise of the Wrecking-Ball Right
- Many Ideas for Job Creation, but Little Action
- Eliminating Mortgage Interest Deduction Could Further Hobble Housing Recovery
- War Fatigue and the Un-Critical Critics of War
- Obama's Expanded Militarism
- Obama's Bush-League World
- Debt Fight Reinforces China's Negative Views of America
- Rupert Murdoch's Legacy -- Greater Press Controls
- Military-Industrial Journalism
- On Journalistic Credibility
- Another Blow to Journalism's Image
- 5 Ways Michele Bachmann Can Win 2012 Swing Voters
- A Religious Test for 2012?
- EPA Budget and Power Under Attack from Republicans
- GOP Takes Dead Aim on EPA
- The Question is Jobs
- Panetta's Gaffe
- Declaring a National Emergency
- The Federal Debt Limit Debate: A Leadership Opportunity
- Millionaires and Billionaires
- The Presidency Matters, But How Much Does Obama?
- Obama's Reagan Parallels Are Falling Away
- The President's Jobs Plan
- Budget Debate Has Troublesome Historical Underpinnings
- It's Back! The Misery Index Rides Again
- Handling Big Contradictions
- Why Are We Afraid to Cross the Lines that Divide Us?
- Bernie Sanders: Make the Rich Pay Off the Deficit
- The Free Market Fails at Food Safety
- The Growing Desperation of the Don't-Raise-Taxes-on-the-Rich Crowd
- If Not This, Then What Are Our Taxes Paying For?
- Debt Limit Irresponsibility
- Debt Ceiling Deal Could Mean Social Security Cuts
- The Tax Cuts for the Rich Again
- Stand-Up Time for Obama
- President Obama's Balancing Act
- New Jersey Miracle: What About the Rest of Us?
- For 2012 Republicans: The Economy Trumps the Culture War
- Michele Bachmann's Beginnings
- GOP Attacking Americans' Right to Vote
- Marco Rubio: Ready for Political Primetime
- 'Mortal Kombat' and the First Amendment
- The Unethical Clarence Thomas
- On Humanitarianism: Is Helping Others Charity or Duty or Both?
- Does Obama Have a Grand Strategy?
- How Health Care Can Save or Sink America
Available at Amazon.com:
78 Percent of Americans Dissatisfied with Government | Politics
Copyright 2011, AHN - All Rights Reserved