All Hail Emperor Obama
"This notion I can somehow just change the laws unilaterally is just not true. We are doing everything we can administratively, but fact of the matter is there are laws on the books that I have to enforce. And I think there's been great disservice done to the cause of getting the DREAM Act passed and getting comprehensive immigration passed by perpetrating the notion that somehow, by myself, I can go and do these things. It's just not true." --
President Obama is no longer president in the constitutional sense. He appears to have elevated himself to the role of emperor, deciding unilaterally what should be the law and what should not, bypassing
First it was the revelation that he has a "hit list" from which he alone decides who lives and who dies by drone strikes in
With last Friday's announcement that he intends to effectively grant amnesty to a category of illegal aliens, according to criteria he has set -- their age, a spotless criminal record, a minimum level of education, and/or military service -- the president has technically, possibly deliberately and it can be argued illegally, violated his oath of office in which he swore to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of
The Constitution empowers
The president has announced his administration won't enforce a law passed by
In an age of political pandering, this crass appeal for Hispanic votes has to rank near the top of anyone's list. While the
Official unemployment for American citizens remains above 8 percent. Now, 800,000 noncitizens can work legally, in some cases for lower wages, thus robbing some citizens of what should be their priority place in the job line. Will those newly enfranchised noncitizens who can't find work get food stamps and welfare checks drawn on borrowed money from
The Obama re-election team apparently has calculated that every vote lost by an angry unemployed American citizen will be made up for with votes from Hispanics and result in a net plus for the president. That is a dangerous gamble, especially since it assumes Hispanics who are legal citizens, or legal residents, will applaud those who violated laws they had to obey when they came to America.
If a Republican president behaved in such a cavalier manner toward
The president's appeal, he maintains, is about "fairness" and other notions that have nothing to do with the law. There is a constitutional and legal way to regulate people who are "undocumented." It is through
Read the latest political news.
- Justices Uphold Individual Mandate, Set Limits On Medicaid Expansion
- Court's Dissenters Argue That 'Entire Statute Is Inoperative'
- Health Law Decision A 'Victory For People All Over This Country'
- Justice Roberts Says Law's Offer to States on Medicaid 'Is A Gun to the Head'
- Romney: Health Law Bad Policy, No Matter SCOTUS Decision
- The Tea Party Shtick
- How Wall Street is Trying to Avoid Oversight
- The Robin Hood Tax
- Growing Independence from Both Parties
- Are the Democrats Doomed?
- Mitt Romney: Running for Magician-in-Chief
- Mitt Romney is Dangerously Naive on Foreign Policy
- Is Marco Rubio the Hope of the GOP?
- Progressive Morality
- Running Against a Ghost
- Candidates Must Steer Clear of Political Potholes
- Obama Shows that Political Gaffes are a Game Two Can Play
- Candidates Woo Skeptical, and Possibly Decisive, Latino Bloc
- From Hope and Change to Fear and Smear
- Obama's DREAM Gambit
- The Limits of Compassion in Politics
- All Hail Emperor Obama
- Drone Warfare Foretells an Ever-Expanding and Illegal War
- Sending in the Drones
- Realists Play Video Games
- Women Candidates Need to Fight Back Against Innuendo
- Obama's Truthiness
- Wisconsin Wakeup Call
- Hard Times, Weak Unions
- Wisconsin Vote Dashes Union Hopes, An Entire Movement's Gains
- Wisconsin: Labor's Love Lost
- Liberal Nostalgia for The Good Old Days of Conservatism
- The Big Lie Coup D'etat
- Super PAC Era Links Back to Early James Burnham
- Recalling the Gilded Age
- A Fair Shot
- Low-Wage Nation
- Supreme Doubts
- Obama's 'Fine' Mess
- Making the World Safer for the Next Bernie Madoff
- 'Compromise' is Not a Dirty Word
- Googling Anti-Obama Racism
- Who are You Calling 'Extreme'?
- Is the Worm Turning?
- Searching for a Surrogate
- The Essentiality of Journalism
- Our Press Freedom is Under Fire
- Of Bedrooms and Boardrooms
- Budget Cut Blues: America Needs More Informed Citizenry
- Pentagon Spending Spree
- Why the 'Pro-Growth Centrists' are Wrong
- Social Security's Dual-Income Trap
All Hail Emperor Obama | Politics
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services