Robert B. Reich
While Clinton stumps for President Obama,
Republicans want to obliterate any trace of the administration that told America there were weapons of mass destruction in
Besides, the resemblances between Bush and Romney are too close for comfort. Both were born into wealth, sons of prominent politicians who themselves ran for president; both are closely tied to the nation's corporate and financial elites, and eager to do their bidding; both are socially awkward and, as candidates, tightly scripted for fear of saying something they shouldn't; and both presented themselves to the nation devoid of any consistent policies or principles that might give some clue as to what they actually believe.
They are both men who ran or are running for the presidency for no clear reason other than to surpass their fathers or achieve the aims and ambitions of their wealthy patrons.
Small wonder the
It also helps explain why Romney chose Rep.
While Romney and the
Read the latest political news.
- Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll
- Character, Policy and the Selection of Leaders
- The Politicization of Violence
- The Selling of American Democracy: The Perfect Storm
- Erasing W
- Losing Latino Votes
- The Party is Over: Longtime GOPer Dissects Modern Political Landscape
- Paul Ryan's Faux Populism
- Rise Up, Middle Class, Rise Up!
- A Modest Proposal: Three Weeks of Paid Vacation
- The Paul Ryan Choice
- Mitt Romney's Misguided Blue-Collar Voting Bloc
- What Mitt Romney Could Do to Connect with Hispanics
- Romney and the Republican Club
- Hurricane Isaac's Impact on the GOP
- Five Things Romney Needs from GOP convention
- The Goldwater Legacy
- Mitt Romney Risks 'Hispanic Debacle' in November
- Mitt Romney Runs Away from his Running Mate
- Paul Ryan's Magical Thinking
- Mitt Romney Finds Love in the GOP
- What Ryan Says About Romney
- Romney-Ryan: Real change
- Obama vs Romney: Meanest campaign ever?
- That's Joe Biden
- Mitt, More Gaffes Like This, Please
- Muzzle Mitt Romney on Taxes Now?
- A Debate About Debates
- Decoding Mitt Romney's Odd Humor
- After Romney Birth Certificate Joke, Dems Play the Race Card
- The 'Boring' 2012 Presidential Campaign
- Mitt Romney's 'Welfare Queen'
- Mitt Romney's Opportunity
- We're All Subsidizing Free Lunches for America's CEOs
- Washington, Are You Listening?
- Class Warfare
- Indefensible: The Truth About Pentagon Spending
- David Barton's Make-Believe Version of American History
- Onward Christian 'Teavangelicals'
- Campaigns Touch Briefly on the Wars
- 'Mad Dog' Harry Reid
- Republican Woes with Women
- Rape, Patriarchy and the Bomb
- Akin Offers Unflattering Glimpse of Widely Shared Republican Attitudes
- Todd Akin's 'Legitimate' Pain
- Todd Akin's Idiocy is Infectious
- Todd Akin's Ignorance Hardly Unique
- The Decline of Party Power
- Trapping Season
- Mitt Romney's 'Zero-Percenters'
- No More Boring White Guys for the GOP
- Eating America's Seed Corn
- Romney and Ryan Project Vague Foreign Policy
- A Storied Presidency
- There is No California
- The Koch Brothers' Moonshine
- No Need for a Witch Hunt Over Executive Pay
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
Erasing W | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.