Mitt Romney Risks 'Hispanic Debacle' in November
Republican presidential hopeful
There are five major reasons Ryan, a darling of the tea party who is known for his budget-cutting proposals and hard-line stands on immigration in recent years, will have a hard time helping Romney solve his Latino vote problem.
First, Ryan is not
Either Rubio or Portman could have helped Romney win key swing states that will be crucial to win the November elections and could have campaigned nationwide speaking in Spanish to Latino audiences. Ryan, who comes from a state with only 5 percent of Latino voters, has zero connection with Hispanic voters.
While the Romney campaign has announced that it will give Republican Hispanic stars such as Rubio stellar roles at the Republican convention in
According to a
Former Republican candidate Sen.
Second, although most Hispanic voters are young and don't care that much about health care, the Obama campaign ads depicting Ryan as a ruthless budget cutter who would slash
Third, unlike Republican moderates, Ryan strongly opposes a path to legal residence for the estimated 11-million undocumented U.S. residents. Most Hispanics support a path to citizenship for undocumented residents who have long lived in this country and have no criminal records.
"I do not support amnesty for the millions of illegal immigrants already living in
Fourth, Ryan has opposed the DREAM Act, a bill overwhelmingly supported by Hispanics - and many non-Latinos, too - that calls for giving a path to residency to up to 1.7 million young undocumented students who were brought to
Many of them don't even speak the language of their native countries. While most of them were recently granted de facto temporary residency by Obama, their legal status remains in limbo in the long run.
Fifth, Ryan voted in 2005 in support of the Sensenbrenner bill, sponsored by fellow
Romney campaign officials say none of this will matter much on
In addition, they say that nationwide polls of Hispanics won't mean much, because the election will be decided in a handful of swing states, such as
My opinion: Romney's pick for vice-presidential nominee, coming shortly after Romney's foreign policy tour in which he traveled to
Read the latest political news.
- Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll
- Character, Policy and the Selection of Leaders
- The Politicization of Violence
- The Selling of American Democracy: The Perfect Storm
- Erasing W
- Losing Latino Votes
- The Party is Over: Longtime GOPer Dissects Modern Political Landscape
- Paul Ryan's Faux Populism
- Rise Up, Middle Class, Rise Up!
- A Modest Proposal: Three Weeks of Paid Vacation
- The Paul Ryan Choice
- Mitt Romney's Misguided Blue-Collar Voting Bloc
- What Mitt Romney Could Do to Connect with Hispanics
- Romney and the Republican Club
- Hurricane Isaac's Impact on the GOP
- Five Things Romney Needs from GOP convention
- The Goldwater Legacy
- Mitt Romney Risks 'Hispanic Debacle' in November
- Mitt Romney Runs Away from his Running Mate
- Paul Ryan's Magical Thinking
- Mitt Romney Finds Love in the GOP
- What Ryan Says About Romney
- Romney-Ryan: Real change
- Obama vs Romney: Meanest campaign ever?
- That's Joe Biden
- Mitt, More Gaffes Like This, Please
- Muzzle Mitt Romney on Taxes Now?
- A Debate About Debates
- Decoding Mitt Romney's Odd Humor
- After Romney Birth Certificate Joke, Dems Play the Race Card
- The 'Boring' 2012 Presidential Campaign
- Mitt Romney's 'Welfare Queen'
- Mitt Romney's Opportunity
- We're All Subsidizing Free Lunches for America's CEOs
- Washington, Are You Listening?
- Class Warfare
- Indefensible: The Truth About Pentagon Spending
- David Barton's Make-Believe Version of American History
- Onward Christian 'Teavangelicals'
- Campaigns Touch Briefly on the Wars
- 'Mad Dog' Harry Reid
- Republican Woes with Women
- Rape, Patriarchy and the Bomb
- Akin Offers Unflattering Glimpse of Widely Shared Republican Attitudes
- Todd Akin's 'Legitimate' Pain
- Todd Akin's Idiocy is Infectious
- Todd Akin's Ignorance Hardly Unique
- The Decline of Party Power
- Trapping Season
- Mitt Romney's 'Zero-Percenters'
- No More Boring White Guys for the GOP
- Eating America's Seed Corn
- Romney and Ryan Project Vague Foreign Policy
- A Storied Presidency
- There is No California
- The Koch Brothers' Moonshine
- No Need for a Witch Hunt Over Executive Pay
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
Mitt Romney Risks 'Hispanic Debacle' in November | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.