GOP Candidates Revive Bush Pre-emption Doctrine
John T. Bennett
The leading Republican presidential candidates are channeling
During a recent debate, the candidates sparred over a range of national security issues, and all but one, Rep.
When the war in
"It's very interesting that you're seeing, on the Republican platform, a very strong commitment to say we're going to say no to
"The preemptive war idea is being discussed, absolutely," says Dr.
"This is from serious people," Suri said. "This is not just hawkish rumblings. This is also a fundamentally different strategic outlook."
"I do believe there are moments when you preempt," former House Speaker
"Ladies and gentlemen, we have a president who isn't going to stop them," Santorum said. "He isn't going to stop them from getting a nuclear weapon. We need a new president or we are going to have a cataclysmic situation."
Romney echoed his rhetorically hawkish
"With crippling sanctions and a very clear statement that military action is an action that will be taken if they pursue nuclear weaponry," Romney said. "That could change the course of world history."
Only Texas Rep.
"Al Qaeda has had a plan to bog us down in the
The Congressional Research Service has calculated the
Suri said while politics is at surely at work in the candidates' muscular rhetoric on
Read the latest political news.
- Stock Market Picks 90 Percent of Presidential Elections
- Twitter Mentality a Threat to America
- God and Caesar in America
- The God Gap
- When the Senate Worked
- The Congressional Thaw
- Failed Highway Bill Shows Just How Fanatical GOP Has Become
- Starving Public Universities Shrinks the Middle Class
- The GOP's Worst Week
- Why Marco Rubio Can't Save the GOP
- Third-Party Group Wants Internet to Pick Presidential Candidate
- Buddy Roemer to Seek Third-Party Presidential Nomination
- Debt, Baby, Debt: America's Newest Voting Bloc
- GOP Candidates Could All Add to Federal Deficit
- Who is the True GOP Conservative?
- Rick Santorum: The GOP's Unelectable Soul Mate
- Getting to Know Them
- No Republican Middle
- Note to GOP Field: Braggadocio Is Not Leadership
- Rick Santorum Repulses Independent and Moderate Voters
- What Rick Santorum Has Been Saying, And 'Not Saying'
- Only Santorum Addresses Values Issues that Concern Voters
- Rick Santorum Appeals to Only a Minority of Voters
- Mitt Romney Is More Electable, But Needs to Clean Up Campaign
- Both Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum Disappoint Conservatives
- Mitt Romney Can't Be Trusted So Rick Santorum Is More Electable
- Romney's Arizona Law 'Model' Would Hurt All Immigrants
- The Manufacturing Myth
- GOP Candidates Revive Bush Pre-emption Doctrine
- The Tricky Politics of the Auto Bailout
- Protesting Today's Threat to Voting Rights
- Turning a Blind Eye to Government Benefits
- Obama Fights Back on GOP Gas-Price Attacks
- How Sex Hijacked Election Talk
- Rick Santorum's Reverse Snobbery
- Mr. Right Eludes the GOP
- Latino Voters to Candidates: What Are We, Chopped Chorizo?
- Lack of Enthusiasm Isn't Just a GOP Problem
- A Brokered GOP Convention?
- Obama's Cynicism for Me, Not for Thee
- Brash Limbaugh
- The Supreme Court: Politicizing Justice
- Muddying the Playing Field
- National Deficit Result of Wars and Bush Tax Cuts
- Five Ways to Spin Obama Tax Plan
- Social Issues Bring in Popular Vote for Republicans
- Republicans Can Win on Economic Issues, Not a Culture War
- Social Issues Are at the Core of Our Problems
- Republicans Should Focus on the Economy
- GOP Needs to Rethink Positions on Economy, Foreign Policy
- Republican Mean Streak Could Leave GOP Out in the Cold
- Extra Dollars You're Paying At Pump Going To Wall Street Speculators
- A Farewell to Fossil Fuels
- United States Can't Control the World Oil Market
- The Future of U.S. - Chinese Relations
- If American Manufacturers Keep Jobs, So Does Obama
- GOP Will Lose in 2012 if Social Issues Take Center Stage
- Why Looks Are Everything in a Presidential Election
- Swing Voters Need a Champion
- Good Businessmen Rarely Make Good Presidents
- Un-Presidential Primaries
- Inside Rick Santorum's Head
- Improving Economy Driving Independents Back to Obama
GOP Candidates Revive Bush Pre-emption Doctrine | Politics
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services