Romney's Lies: Mitt Romney Has a Truth Problem
From '100,000 new jobs' to Obama's jobs record to his first name, Mitt Romney has a truth problem
As his briefly front-running campaign sunk in the polls under relentless punishment from
"Why are you saying he's a liar?" his apparently shocked interlocutor pressed. The notion that
This is a good time to catalogue some of Romney's greatest hits thus far.
"100,000 new jobs."
Romney has repeatedly claimed that during his tenure at
As a corollary, when Romney's record has been criticized, he has dismissed criticisms as an attempt to "put free enterprise on trial." It's not an attack on free enterprise. It's an attack on Romney's strained attempt to spin his successful record of wealth-creation into one of job-creation. It's also a recognition that while a net good, the free market has its destructive side -- and it's a fair question to ask, whether voters consider experience in that sort of vulture capitalism as a good qualification for the presidency. Do they want government to be run more like that kind of business?
Obama's jobs record.
By Romney's own logic (touting jobs created but ignoring jobs lost), his attacks on President Obama's economic record are nonsensical. He told Time that Obama "has not created any new jobs," and he told
In fact the biggest drag on job growth is the 600,000 public sector jobs that have disappeared under the auspices of budget austerity. As my colleague reported, "government jobs are being shed by the tens of thousands almost every month, hindering an already weak recovery."
Romney has argued that Obama "is replacing our merit-based, opportunity society with an entitlement society," where "everyone is handed the same rewards, regardless of education, effort, and willingness to take risk." As
It's an important fabrication, because it marks a turning point in Romney's attacks on Obama. Previously the president was characterized as ineffectual, but not a socialist. Forced to battle to win the
In an October speech on national security, Romney promised to "reverse President Obama's massive defense cuts." One problem: Pentagon spending has gone up under Obama, from
Romney has said that Obama "went around the world and apologized for America." This is part of the conservative, dog-whistle meme that Obama is un-American (and possibly even a foreigner!). While the notion of an international apology tour is a staple of the conservative case against Obama, it is also fictitious. The
It's a small one, but might be my favorite. During a debate in November, when moderator
Read the latest political news.
- Wealthy Tax Cheats
- The 1 Percent Candidate
- Larry Sabato Warns of Electoral 'Newt-Mare'
- The Hottest TV Drama in 2012
- Trailing Newt Gingrich Makes Plea for Votes
- Newt Gingrich Looks For Winning Strategy
- Eisenhower's 'Military-Industrial Complex' and JFK's Inaugural
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Those Who Hated Him
- Do All the GOP Debates Matter?
- Will Dems Call New Tax Law 'The Romney Rule?'
- 'Buffett Rule' Could Create Unintended Consequences
- Why Swing State Republican Governors Will Get Obama Re-Elected
- State of the Union Speech Focuses on Middle Class Success
- Will Obama's Mortgage Refinance Plan Be D.O.A.?
- State of the Union Shows Few Opportunities for Congressional Action
- Obama Uses State of the Union Speech to Rebuff GOP Attacks
- Obama Channels Clinton in State of the Union
- Obama Crafted a Winning Message
- Winning Words, But Not a Winner
- Obama's Speech Will Be Forgotten
- State of the Union Was Typical for Election Year
- Obama's State of the Union Failed
- Incumbents Have History on Their Side
- Obama's Side of the Nation's Story
- Justice John Paul Stevens on How the Supreme Court Works
- There Is a Judicial Confirmation Crisis and the GOP Is Causing It
Pentagon Budget Ends Post-9/11 Era:
Ushers in Pacific Era
- Senator Puts Nuclear Arsenal in Doubt
- Management Tips Mitt Romney Can Use to Save His Campaign
- Rick Santorum's New Target: Gingrich's Reagan Credentials
- GOP Not As Split as the Media Wants You to Think
- Primary Primer: 5 Things to Know about Florida
- On Courting Public Sentiment
- Ike's Lessons for Obama
- Bill Clinton Says Gingrich 'Just Like Romney'
- Newt Gingrich: Buying Our Future
- The Off-the-Radar Congressional Targets of 2012
- Green Energy Investments Pay Off in the Long Run
- Investment in Clean Energy Production Is a Must
- It's Up to the Private Sector to Invest in New Technology
- Competition, Not Handouts, Should Determine Role of Green Energy
- Government Has a History Supporting Emerging Industries
- Green Energy Dramatically Benefits the Nation
- Subsidies for Green Energy Do Not Help American Consumers
- Super PACs: Destroy Our Future
- Super PACs: Super-sized Influence, Super Lack of Transparency
- Super PACs Are a Form of Political Participation
- Super PACs Need to Disclose Political Activity
- Super PACs Engage in More Positive Than Negative Messaging
- Super PACs Enhance Democracy
- Super PACs Make It Harder for Average Americans to be Heard
- Super PACs Level the Playing Field
- Super PACs Promote Attack Ads and Special Interests
- Dollar Democracy
- 2012 Election Will Decide Which New Wars Will Be Waged
- Why 2012 Will Be Obama-Clinton vs Romney-Rubio
- Revenge of the Internet Nerds
- The Decline of Public Good
- We Must Reignite America's Can-Do Spirit
Free Enterprise on Trial:
Who Bears the Risks?
- Mitt Romney Goes on the Offensive
- Bain Capitalism
- How a Populist Obama Can Win
- Obama: A Question of Priorities
- Newtzilla Conquers All?
- Gingrich Follows GOP Playbook on Racism
- Newt Gingrich as Insurgent
- Newt Gingrich: It's Complicated
- Gingrich and The Politics of Division
- Ron Paul: The Great Contrarian
- Ron Paul and Louis Farrakhan - Birds of a Feather?
- Ron Paul's Kooky Moment
- Ron Paul: Foolish Consistency or Just Foolishness?
- Trying to Stop Mitt Romney
- Mitt Romney's Authenticity Problem
- Romney's Big Problem: Hispanic Voters
- Romney's Lies: Mitt Romney Has a Truth Problem
- Romney's Wealth and Influence on the Campaign Trail
- Mitt Romney: Electability vs Likability
- Romney's Backward Views on States Rights
- Mitt Romney Must Win Battle of the Bloat
- Mitt Romney: People Inc.
- The Luck of Mitt Romney
- Romney's 'Mormon Question'
- Would Today's GOP Elect Ronald Reagan?
- Defense Spending: A Shovel-Ready Investment
- Don't Die Stupid
- Three Conservative Victories
- Not By Sight, But By Faith
- To Spur Economy, United States Must Reform Legal Immigration
- Five Reasons Rick Perry Failed
- Overthrow Wall Street
- Civilization in Reverse
- Momentum of Cynicism
- China's JFK moment
Romney's Lies: Mitt Romney Has a Truth Problem | Politics
Copyright 2012, U.S. News & World Report