The Vanishing Act of Dubya
One of the most telling aspects of the 2012 presidential campaign now racing to its end is the matter of the vanishing former two-term Republican president. His name is so seldom mentioned by his party's nominee and other stalwarts as to take on the characteristic of a toxic distant uncle.
Yes, the missing person in the picture would be
At a time when his rival Obama plans a closing campaign swing with former two-term President
In the second presidential debate, when Romney was asked by an undecided voter how he differed from the junior
Obama shot back that the country was losing 800,000 jobs a month when he took over from Bush, and then created 5.2 million jobs over 31 straight months. He left unmentioned the 8 percent unemployment that lingered, but noted that the Bush tax cuts were "what took us from surplus (in the Clinton years) to surplus."
Then Obama went on to suggest that Romney was even worse than Bush. "
Romney remained silent as Obama thus pitched for support from Hispanics and women. Left unsaid by the president was Bush's war of choice in
In all this, the 43rd president of
Yet Obama has seemed to have little success calling on voters to remember the junior Bush years as responsible for the deep economic hole from which he had to spend his first term lifting the country. He tried it and failed in the 2010 congressional elections; he is trying again, with only mild indications of recovery to back his case.
Obama obviously hopes that campaigning down the stretch with
Read the latest political news.
- United States Presidential Elections in Perspective
- Early Latino Turnout Could Swing Vote
- A Letter to Women Voters
- The Final Days, The Biggest Issue and The Clearest Choice
- Another Electoral College Nightmare?
- Why We're Still in Deep Trouble No Matter Who Wins The Presidency
- FEMA vs 'Romnesia'
- An Unscripted October Surprise
- Stormy Weather Politics
- Storm Saves Obama From Himself
- A Romney Presidency Would Erase Decades of Progress
- President Obama Has Earned Our Trust -- and Our Vote
- Conservatives Long for the Sad Days of Yesteryear
- The Key Election Factor -- Hispanic Turnout
- Presidential race will be 'all about turnout'
- Romney: Obama Victory Would Mean More Gridlock
- Obama: 'You Know I Tell the Truth'
- Romney Pledges Bipartisanship in Final Push
- Gaffes and Zingers, Highlights of Mitt Romney's Campaign
- Women Voters: Kingmakers in 2012
- Obama: 'We've Got More Work to Do'
- The Uncool President
- The 2012 Choice
- Busting Myths about Benghazi
- Benghazi -- No Mere 'October surprise'
- The Vanishing Act of Dubya
- Not an Easy Makeover for Florida Representative Allen West
- What Men of the GOP Don't Get About Rape and Abortion
- In GOP View, Life is Sacred ... Except When It's Not
- Romney the Wrong Man to Handle United States Foreign Policy
- Mitt Romney AWOL in Foreign Policy Debate
- How the Election Could Go Wrong for Romney
- Mitt Romney's Question-Mark Economy
- Will Money Talk?
The Vanishing Act of Dubya | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc