That's Joe Biden
To no one's surprise, Vice President
It all started when Biden, addressing a predominantly African American crowd, quoted Romney as saying in his first 100 days as president that "he's going to let the big banks once again write their own rules -- unchain
Shades of the pre-Civil War slave trade! A Romney aide indignantly declared that the Obama campaign "has reached a new low" and "will say and do anything to win this campaign." To which Obama replied, in effect: The same back to you, and double it. And so it goes in what is being widely called the most negative campaign yet, which of course is what they always say.
When it comes to
In any event, the Biden who let loose in
In a comparison of the two 2012 running mates, Romney may well have shored up his campaign's credentials in budgetary wonkery with his selection of
In that department, beyond
Much of his fitting in no doubt comes from his personal story as a street kid in
As his resume revealed in his first failed bid for the Democratic presidential nomination 25 years ago, Biden's ebullience and lack of self-discipline can get him in hot water at times. They make him vulnerable to political attack by opponents who at first see him as easy pickings, but often come away chagrned at his Houdini-like escapes.
But the bottom line is that Biden, up to now at least, has bought himself a pass from fellow Democrats and, in his home state, voters of all stripes with his welcoming demeanor and candor. And the betting in the Obama camp is that on balance he will continue to be a plus for the campaign.
Read the latest political news.
- Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll
- Character, Policy and the Selection of Leaders
- The Politicization of Violence
- The Selling of American Democracy: The Perfect Storm
- Erasing W
- Losing Latino Votes
- The Party is Over: Longtime GOPer Dissects Modern Political Landscape
- Paul Ryan's Faux Populism
- Rise Up, Middle Class, Rise Up!
- A Modest Proposal: Three Weeks of Paid Vacation
- The Paul Ryan Choice
- Mitt Romney's Misguided Blue-Collar Voting Bloc
- What Mitt Romney Could Do to Connect with Hispanics
- Romney and the Republican Club
- Hurricane Isaac's Impact on the GOP
- Five Things Romney Needs from GOP convention
- The Goldwater Legacy
- Mitt Romney Risks 'Hispanic Debacle' in November
- Mitt Romney Runs Away from his Running Mate
- Paul Ryan's Magical Thinking
- Mitt Romney Finds Love in the GOP
- What Ryan Says About Romney
- Romney-Ryan: Real change
- Obama vs Romney: Meanest campaign ever?
- That's Joe Biden
- Mitt, More Gaffes Like This, Please
- Muzzle Mitt Romney on Taxes Now?
- A Debate About Debates
- Decoding Mitt Romney's Odd Humor
- After Romney Birth Certificate Joke, Dems Play the Race Card
- The 'Boring' 2012 Presidential Campaign
- Mitt Romney's 'Welfare Queen'
- Mitt Romney's Opportunity
- We're All Subsidizing Free Lunches for America's CEOs
- Washington, Are You Listening?
- Class Warfare
- Indefensible: The Truth About Pentagon Spending
- David Barton's Make-Believe Version of American History
- Onward Christian 'Teavangelicals'
- Campaigns Touch Briefly on the Wars
- 'Mad Dog' Harry Reid
- Republican Woes with Women
- Rape, Patriarchy and the Bomb
- Akin Offers Unflattering Glimpse of Widely Shared Republican Attitudes
- Todd Akin's 'Legitimate' Pain
- Todd Akin's Idiocy is Infectious
- Todd Akin's Ignorance Hardly Unique
- The Decline of Party Power
- Trapping Season
- Mitt Romney's 'Zero-Percenters'
- No More Boring White Guys for the GOP
- Eating America's Seed Corn
- Romney and Ryan Project Vague Foreign Policy
- A Storied Presidency
- There is No California
- The Koch Brothers' Moonshine
- No Need for a Witch Hunt Over Executive Pay
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
That's Joe Biden | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.