Paul Ryan's Magical Thinking
Among other "awesome news" about
Let's give the
That's the life Ryan faces as presidential candidate Romney's running mate. It's an odd marriage of convenience between the fiscally conservative Ryan, a darling of the tea party right, and Romney, a serial flip-flopper determined to prove his conservative credentials with his own party's right wing.
That's why Ryan's choice brought glee to the right and relief to President
Now, at a time when Romney has been trying to make this election a referendum on Obama's performance in office, Obama can run as a defender of popular but financially troubled government programs like
In other words, Ryan brings to the Romney campaign the tea party's style of magical thinking, a blissfully simplistic, ideologically driven world view that seems to think candidates can win votes by promising to reduce popular government services.
Or, at least that's the message that Team Obama can be expected to hammer again and again in its ad campaigns, speeches and sound bites. There's no question that the financing of
Put simply, Ryan's plan, proposed in a partnership with Sen.
Such a deal. The purpose, Ryan says, is to encourage people to shop around and provide an incentive for overall health care costs to go down. But what if health care costs rise faster than the size of the subsidy or "voucher," as critics call it, which Ryan would peg to the cost of living? In fact, health care costs have been rising much faster then the cost of living and Ryan's plan is vague about how it would slow that rise.
More immediate, from a political point of view, Ryan takes a third-rail issue, especially with seniors, and puts it in center stage. Even though his
Sure, services have to be paid for, but nobody enjoys doing that. As the late Sen.
Today I would suggest a new political slogan is at work on
Read the latest political news.
- Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll
- Character, Policy and the Selection of Leaders
- The Politicization of Violence
- The Selling of American Democracy: The Perfect Storm
- Erasing W
- Losing Latino Votes
- The Party is Over: Longtime GOPer Dissects Modern Political Landscape
- Paul Ryan's Faux Populism
- Rise Up, Middle Class, Rise Up!
- A Modest Proposal: Three Weeks of Paid Vacation
- The Paul Ryan Choice
- Mitt Romney's Misguided Blue-Collar Voting Bloc
- What Mitt Romney Could Do to Connect with Hispanics
- Romney and the Republican Club
- Hurricane Isaac's Impact on the GOP
- Five Things Romney Needs from GOP convention
- The Goldwater Legacy
- Mitt Romney Risks 'Hispanic Debacle' in November
- Mitt Romney Runs Away from his Running Mate
- Paul Ryan's Magical Thinking
- Mitt Romney Finds Love in the GOP
- What Ryan Says About Romney
- Romney-Ryan: Real change
- Obama vs Romney: Meanest campaign ever?
- That's Joe Biden
- Mitt, More Gaffes Like This, Please
- Muzzle Mitt Romney on Taxes Now?
- A Debate About Debates
- Decoding Mitt Romney's Odd Humor
- After Romney Birth Certificate Joke, Dems Play the Race Card
- The 'Boring' 2012 Presidential Campaign
- Mitt Romney's 'Welfare Queen'
- Mitt Romney's Opportunity
- We're All Subsidizing Free Lunches for America's CEOs
- Washington, Are You Listening?
- Class Warfare
- Indefensible: The Truth About Pentagon Spending
- David Barton's Make-Believe Version of American History
- Onward Christian 'Teavangelicals'
- Campaigns Touch Briefly on the Wars
- 'Mad Dog' Harry Reid
- Republican Woes with Women
- Rape, Patriarchy and the Bomb
- Akin Offers Unflattering Glimpse of Widely Shared Republican Attitudes
- Todd Akin's 'Legitimate' Pain
- Todd Akin's Idiocy is Infectious
- Todd Akin's Ignorance Hardly Unique
- The Decline of Party Power
- Trapping Season
- Mitt Romney's 'Zero-Percenters'
- No More Boring White Guys for the GOP
- Eating America's Seed Corn
- Romney and Ryan Project Vague Foreign Policy
- A Storied Presidency
- There is No California
- The Koch Brothers' Moonshine
- No Need for a Witch Hunt Over Executive Pay
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
Paul Ryan's Magical Thinking | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.