'Mad Dog' Harry Reid
To call Senate Majority Leader
Doesn't Reid, a Mormon like Romney, subscribe to the prohibition in the Ninth Commandment: "Thou shall not bear false witness"? He appears to pay no political price because he's a Democrat and unlike
Reid is a sideshow, a clown in a political circus that seeks to draw the public's attention away from President Obama's record. Romney's tax returns won't create a single job or revive the economy. Romney must change the subject by shifting the focus to where it belongs: to President Obama, his failed promises and his disastrous economic mismanagement.
If he wants to belabor the point, Romney can challenge Obama to release his college records and other information mentioned in his book "Dreams from My Father." He can offer to release more years of his tax returns in return for the transparency Obama promised.
Or Romney can reiterate that he has fully complied with the law, including the payment of all taxes owed. Would his critics prefer he pay more than his legal obligation? In addition, Romney has certainly made sizable charitable contributions, while Biden and his wife, according to USA Today, averaged just
What about the president? Here's what Washington Post Fact Checker Glenn Kessler wrote: "When then-presidential candidate Obama released his tax returns during the 2008 campaign, it was revealed that he began making significant gifts to charity after he started making serious money from his books -- and after he decided to run for president.
Here's what the numbers look like: 2005:
We can go tit for tat on contributions or income taxes forever. The tax returns issue is a smoke screen for the Obama administration's failures. The Romney campaign now appears to be doing what it should to reclaim and redirect the narrative. Romney can prevail if the issue becomes government spending.
People know that waste is a moral failure. Romney could go after Pentagon waste.
Romney has begun to press the president on his "reform" of welfare reform.
Senator Reid is a stink bomb at the garden party. Let "Dirty Harry," as some have dubbed him, continue to demonstrate his flawed character. Romney should not descend to the gutter with him. He should ignore Reid and focus on what most Americans care most about: rebuilding our shattered economy.
Read the latest political news.
- Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll
- Character, Policy and the Selection of Leaders
- The Politicization of Violence
- The Selling of American Democracy: The Perfect Storm
- Erasing W
- Losing Latino Votes
- The Party is Over: Longtime GOPer Dissects Modern Political Landscape
- Paul Ryan's Faux Populism
- Rise Up, Middle Class, Rise Up!
- A Modest Proposal: Three Weeks of Paid Vacation
- The Paul Ryan Choice
- Mitt Romney's Misguided Blue-Collar Voting Bloc
- What Mitt Romney Could Do to Connect with Hispanics
- Romney and the Republican Club
- Hurricane Isaac's Impact on the GOP
- Five Things Romney Needs from GOP convention
- The Goldwater Legacy
- Mitt Romney Risks 'Hispanic Debacle' in November
- Mitt Romney Runs Away from his Running Mate
- Paul Ryan's Magical Thinking
- Mitt Romney Finds Love in the GOP
- What Ryan Says About Romney
- Romney-Ryan: Real change
- Obama vs Romney: Meanest campaign ever?
- That's Joe Biden
- Mitt, More Gaffes Like This, Please
- Muzzle Mitt Romney on Taxes Now?
- A Debate About Debates
- Decoding Mitt Romney's Odd Humor
- After Romney Birth Certificate Joke, Dems Play the Race Card
- The 'Boring' 2012 Presidential Campaign
- Mitt Romney's 'Welfare Queen'
- Mitt Romney's Opportunity
- We're All Subsidizing Free Lunches for America's CEOs
- Washington, Are You Listening?
- Class Warfare
- Indefensible: The Truth About Pentagon Spending
- David Barton's Make-Believe Version of American History
- Onward Christian 'Teavangelicals'
- Campaigns Touch Briefly on the Wars
- 'Mad Dog' Harry Reid
- Republican Woes with Women
- Rape, Patriarchy and the Bomb
- Akin Offers Unflattering Glimpse of Widely Shared Republican Attitudes
- Todd Akin's 'Legitimate' Pain
- Todd Akin's Idiocy is Infectious
- Todd Akin's Ignorance Hardly Unique
- The Decline of Party Power
- Trapping Season
- Mitt Romney's 'Zero-Percenters'
- No More Boring White Guys for the GOP
- Eating America's Seed Corn
- Romney and Ryan Project Vague Foreign Policy
- A Storied Presidency
- There is No California
- The Koch Brothers' Moonshine
- No Need for a Witch Hunt Over Executive Pay
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
'Mad Dog' Harry Reid | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.