Five Things Romney Needs from GOP convention
This Republican convention in
Nothing stands in their way except themselves. Not even the liberal media can be used as an excuse -- if only because Romney and Ryan should be prepared for it and should know how to handle it. Let's look at a few things the Romney-Ryan ticket needs to accomplish in this critical week:
Ditch the Romneytron vibe: Even before the convention, party talking points were leaked, and -- surprise, surprise -- they precisely match the words that have been coming out of Romney's mouth in interviews leading up to the convention. Things like "take-home pay" (a key talking point) are important, but they need to be repackaged a bit and humanized. It shouldn't be difficult to illustrate a talking point with a short story -- a couple of lines that explain why you personally care about something so much. This is real life, not a "West Wing" script from which Romney has to read verbatim.
Counter the "rich guy" narrative: Most people think that the rich were simply born into wealth and can't relate to those who struggle to earn a living. It's a narrative that benefits Obama and his class-warfare focus. Romney should explain where his inherited wealth and opportunities ended and his own efforts began. Many people are convinced that self-made wealth is just a myth to which only naifs subscribe, and that in doing so, they vote against their own self-interest in the faint hope of one day becoming rich themselves. The perception is that Romney landed on a pile of dough in the delivery room. Most people don't know that Romney and his wife, Ann, lived in a cheap basement apartment in
Adapt and apply classic Reagan strategy:
Bring women voters aboard: Romney is lagging significantly behind Obama with women voters. The temptation may be to pander to them in attempt to win them over, but this is exactly what Romney must avoid. Starting with a non-interventionist approach to their private health decisions, as suggested above, he could go a step further by pointing out that women and men want the same thing -- for government to leave them alone so they can thrive. It would be less interesting to hear
Read the latest political news.
- Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll
- Character, Policy and the Selection of Leaders
- The Politicization of Violence
- The Selling of American Democracy: The Perfect Storm
- Erasing W
- Losing Latino Votes
- The Party is Over: Longtime GOPer Dissects Modern Political Landscape
- Paul Ryan's Faux Populism
- Rise Up, Middle Class, Rise Up!
- A Modest Proposal: Three Weeks of Paid Vacation
- The Paul Ryan Choice
- Mitt Romney's Misguided Blue-Collar Voting Bloc
- What Mitt Romney Could Do to Connect with Hispanics
- Romney and the Republican Club
- Hurricane Isaac's Impact on the GOP
- Five Things Romney Needs from GOP convention
- The Goldwater Legacy
- Mitt Romney Risks 'Hispanic Debacle' in November
- Mitt Romney Runs Away from his Running Mate
- Paul Ryan's Magical Thinking
- Mitt Romney Finds Love in the GOP
- What Ryan Says About Romney
- Romney-Ryan: Real change
- Obama vs Romney: Meanest campaign ever?
- That's Joe Biden
- Mitt, More Gaffes Like This, Please
- Muzzle Mitt Romney on Taxes Now?
- A Debate About Debates
- Decoding Mitt Romney's Odd Humor
- After Romney Birth Certificate Joke, Dems Play the Race Card
- The 'Boring' 2012 Presidential Campaign
- Mitt Romney's 'Welfare Queen'
- Mitt Romney's Opportunity
- We're All Subsidizing Free Lunches for America's CEOs
- Washington, Are You Listening?
- Class Warfare
- Indefensible: The Truth About Pentagon Spending
- David Barton's Make-Believe Version of American History
- Onward Christian 'Teavangelicals'
- Campaigns Touch Briefly on the Wars
- 'Mad Dog' Harry Reid
- Republican Woes with Women
- Rape, Patriarchy and the Bomb
- Akin Offers Unflattering Glimpse of Widely Shared Republican Attitudes
- Todd Akin's 'Legitimate' Pain
- Todd Akin's Idiocy is Infectious
- Todd Akin's Ignorance Hardly Unique
- The Decline of Party Power
- Trapping Season
- Mitt Romney's 'Zero-Percenters'
- No More Boring White Guys for the GOP
- Eating America's Seed Corn
- Romney and Ryan Project Vague Foreign Policy
- A Storied Presidency
- There is No California
- The Koch Brothers' Moonshine
- No Need for a Witch Hunt Over Executive Pay
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
Five Things Romney Needs from GOP convention | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.