Social Issues Are at the Core of Our Problems
Broken families mean a broken society that can be fixed only by a
The No. 1 cause of poverty in America is fractured families.
Children who grow up in single-parent homes have nearly six times the poverty rate as children who grow up in homes with a married mother and father.
And the predictable -- but never discussed -- other results of growing up outside of a stable family? Educational deficits, greater risks of emotional, psychological, and behavioral problems -- and broken hearts, to name a few.
These are the painful results of a nation whose timeless cultural values have been nearly obliterated in the last 50 years.
Noted social science researcher
This path is unsustainable -- and if it not quickly corrected, America will become a truly unstable nation, with an ever bigger government bureaucracy and larger debts in repeated ill-fated attempts to solve the many problems that only a return to commitment, fidelity, and timeless cultural values can fix.
When Americans are told what causes our nation's little ones to be raised at such disadvantage, they understand the seriousness of our declining moral culture -- and they want to work to correct it.
So the question of whether or not the culture wars will help the
More government programs will not help solve these grave cultural and economic problems. But getting government out of the way will. It will take people of faith and their organized congregations growing their own community outreach and counseling programs to strengthen marriages and minister to those who are hurting and in need. And a huge part of that is protecting their religious freedoms. Churches and faith groups need to be free to share their religious faith values -- not live in fear of a government that now seeks to dictate how they must live out their ministry.
Read the latest political news.
- Stock Market Picks 90 Percent of Presidential Elections
- Twitter Mentality a Threat to America
- God and Caesar in America
- The God Gap
- When the Senate Worked
- The Congressional Thaw
- Failed Highway Bill Shows Just How Fanatical GOP Has Become
- Starving Public Universities Shrinks the Middle Class
- The GOP's Worst Week
- Why Marco Rubio Can't Save the GOP
- Third-Party Group Wants Internet to Pick Presidential Candidate
- Buddy Roemer to Seek Third-Party Presidential Nomination
- Debt, Baby, Debt: America's Newest Voting Bloc
- GOP Candidates Could All Add to Federal Deficit
- Who is the True GOP Conservative?
- Rick Santorum: The GOP's Unelectable Soul Mate
- Getting to Know Them
- No Republican Middle
- Note to GOP Field: Braggadocio Is Not Leadership
- Rick Santorum Repulses Independent and Moderate Voters
- What Rick Santorum Has Been Saying, And 'Not Saying'
- Only Santorum Addresses Values Issues that Concern Voters
- Rick Santorum Appeals to Only a Minority of Voters
- Mitt Romney Is More Electable, But Needs to Clean Up Campaign
- Both Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum Disappoint Conservatives
- Mitt Romney Can't Be Trusted So Rick Santorum Is More Electable
- Romney's Arizona Law 'Model' Would Hurt All Immigrants
- The Manufacturing Myth
- GOP Candidates Revive Bush Pre-emption Doctrine
- The Tricky Politics of the Auto Bailout
- Protesting Today's Threat to Voting Rights
- Turning a Blind Eye to Government Benefits
- Obama Fights Back on GOP Gas-Price Attacks
- How Sex Hijacked Election Talk
- Rick Santorum's Reverse Snobbery
- Mr. Right Eludes the GOP
- Latino Voters to Candidates: What Are We, Chopped Chorizo?
- Lack of Enthusiasm Isn't Just a GOP Problem
- A Brokered GOP Convention?
- Obama's Cynicism for Me, Not for Thee
- Brash Limbaugh
- The Supreme Court: Politicizing Justice
- Muddying the Playing Field
- National Deficit Result of Wars and Bush Tax Cuts
- Five Ways to Spin Obama Tax Plan
- Social Issues Bring in Popular Vote for Republicans
- Republicans Can Win on Economic Issues, Not a Culture War
- Social Issues Are at the Core of Our Problems
- Republicans Should Focus on the Economy
- GOP Needs to Rethink Positions on Economy, Foreign Policy
- Republican Mean Streak Could Leave GOP Out in the Cold
- Extra Dollars You're Paying At Pump Going To Wall Street Speculators
- A Farewell to Fossil Fuels
- United States Can't Control the World Oil Market
- The Future of U.S. - Chinese Relations
- If American Manufacturers Keep Jobs, So Does Obama
- GOP Will Lose in 2012 if Social Issues Take Center Stage
- Why Looks Are Everything in a Presidential Election
- Swing Voters Need a Champion
- Good Businessmen Rarely Make Good Presidents
- Un-Presidential Primaries
- Inside Rick Santorum's Head
- Improving Economy Driving Independents Back to Obama
Social Issues Are at the Core of Our Problems | Politics
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services