Mitt Romney's Woman Woes
Since the Romney's long marriage appears to be quite strong, he probably knows the value of being a good listener, too. Unfortunately, his speaking style doesn't display much of it on the campaign trail.
Listening matters. As important as policy may be, voters tend to choose the candidate they think, most of all, is "on my side." They want someone who connects with them, who conveys an understanding of their hopes and dreams.
That's why recent presidents like
By that standard, I used to think that Romney, the seasoned businessman and former
Yet it is Romney who has habitually stepped on his own campaign victories with gaffes and a persistent awkwardness about his own wealth and political beliefs.
I believe that helps to explain why a new
Among women, Obama scores 20 points over Romney on this empathy question, up three points since a February survey. That tends to match the widening gender gap between the two candidates in other recent polls.
The partisan gender gap is not new. Men have been voting mostly Republican and women mostly Democratic for more than 30 years. But the gap suddenly yawned open into a canyon in the past couple of months.
The latest Gallup/USA Today poll found Romney trailing the president by 9 points among women in battleground states in March -- and by 2-to-1 among women under age 50 -- after a virtual tie a month earlier.
Why? Conventional wisdom blames a string of debates and controversies about birth control and related social issues, pushed heavily by former Sen.
As Romney looks increasingly like he will be the
Romney's awkwardness about equity for women showed itself when a reporter asked for his thoughts on the all-male
Romney agreed, but with an awkward response so loaded with qualifying "ifs" that it sounded like an insurance contract: "Certainly, if I were a member, if I could run Augusta, which isn't likely to happen, of course I'd have women into Augusta," Romney said. I think that was a "yes."
Romney often sounds like he could use what President
Read the latest political news.
- How Everyone Else Pays for Big Business's Tax Breaks
- No Easy Solutions for Big Money in Politics
- GOP: That Great Enemy of Reason
- GOP's Presidential Plans in Peril if Economy Keeps Improving
- Mitt Romney's Woman Woes
- Can Republicans Regain Women Voters?
- Independent Ladies Pick Obama
- Republicans Can Close the 'Gender Gap' With the Economy
- Free The Markets, Mitt Romney
- Obama and Romney Struggling With Working Class Voters
- Mitt Romney Turns Attention to Contrasts With President Obama
- The Mitt Romney Veepstakes Begin
- Tool Or Hero: What Role Will Marco Rubio Play?
- Paul Ryan: Chairman of the Con Man Committee
- Paul Ryan's Medicare Hot Air
- Grand Old Pedagogy
- For Government: No Limits
- Parties Begin Staking Out Ground For a Budget Deal
- Rich Freeloaders
- Obama Will Not Stand Up for His Party's Politics
- How the Rich Welch on Retirement Taxes
- Invoking Fake Job Creators to Cut Taxes on the Rich
- Down and Out on Wall Street
- Enemies of the People
- The 99 Percent Spring
- The Most Lopsided Economic Recovery On Record
- Massachusetts Health Care Reform from the Front Lines
- Health Care Jujitsu
- Freedom or Fairness in 2012?
- Obama Energy Policy: Very Few of the Above
- Faith-Based Energy Policy
- Obama Unleashed
- Five Economic Mistakes Obama is Making
- Better Public Schools Require a Stronger Safety Net
- Catching up to the Local Food Revolution
- Taxation without Representation
- Partisanship Bickering Hangs Over Immigration Hearing
- Women Agree With the GOP on Birth Control
- Has Obama Gone Too Far in His Rhetoric About the Supreme Court?
- The Second Oil Revolution
- An America in Decline
- Romney's Russia Remarks and the Dangers of Dumbed Down
- Volatile Times, Uncertain Futures
- The Crisis in Public Morality
- Where's The Hope?
- Rising Economic Tide Lifts Obama's Fortunes
- Politics: A Never-Ending Game of 'Hot Potato'
- Why Older Citizens are More Likely to Vote
- Ryan's Budget Plan Could Cause Problems Within Both Parties
- Re-election Could Put Obama in Top 4 All-Time
Mitt Romney's Woman Woes | Politics
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services