If American Manufacturers Keep Jobs, So Does Obama
Key manufacturing states are also swing states that could make or break Obama's reelection
The resurgence of manufacturing jobs is sure to be a key storyline in the presidential election. The
It is undeniable that manufacturing in the U.S. is seeing renewed growth. The recent job gains have given the manufacturing industry "a great deal of optimism," says
However, exactly how much credit President Obama can take for the latest bump in manufacturing jobs is debatable. For example, even though he often touts the success of the auto company bailout, emergency loans to U.S. auto companies began in 2008, under
It is also difficult to draw a direct line between Obama's efforts and other factors that have also contributed to the rise in manufacturing jobs. Falling labor costs in the U.S., increased quality of American manufactured goods, and favorable exchange rates have all also contributed to manufacturing growth, says
In addition, there are doubts about the president's latest manufacturing initiative, which aims to create tax incentives for manufacturers who create factory jobs in the U.S. Former Secretary of Labor
Even though fewer than one-fifth of the workers in any given state work in manufacturing, according to 2010 Census figures, emphasizing manufacturing gains can be effective in gaining the favor of all voters.
"I think it's effective as long as the jobs continue to come," says
Emphasizing manufacturing is particularly important for the president, says Lawless, because many workers in manufacturing are "blue-collar Democrats," with loyalties that are not necessarily tied to socially liberal values. This means that being able to make a strong jobs argument will be an important tactic if Obama is to win over these voters, to whom Republicans might otherwise appeal.
Of course, this is all contingent upon sustained job growth. If manufacturing sees sustained gains, says Lawless, it may be difficult for Republicans to make a strong counter-argument.
"It seems to me that the main issue the Republican candidate can focus on is 'too little, too late,'" Lawless says,an argument that gives voters the difficult task of imagining an alternate reality in which Obama was not elected.
It's a pretty precarious position. It's not a position I'd want to be in as a candidate."
Read the latest political news.
- If American Manufacturers Keep Jobs, So Does Obama
- GOP Will Lose in 2012 if Social Issues Take Center Stage
- Why Looks Are Everything in a Presidential Election
- Swing Voters Need a Champion
- Good Businessmen Rarely Make Good Presidents
- Un-Presidential Primaries
- Inside Rick Santorum's Head
- Improving Economy Driving Independents Back to Obama
- The Federal Budget Is a Myth
- Don't Expect Too Much of the Next US President
- There's Still Potential for Palin Presidency
- Understanding the Real Mitt Romney
- A Pointed Comment on Ronald Reagan's Legacy
- Tim Tebow: Public Faith vs Private Faith
- Distorting Civil Rights History
- Obama Campaign: We'll Win Largest Latino Vote Percentage Ever
- Could High Gas Prices Hurt Obama's Reelection Campaign?
- Now the Santorum Option
- The GOP Race Gets Messy
- Buyer's Remorse Already?
- Mitt Romney is Dangerously Naive on Foreign Policy
- Concerning the Poor and Mitt Romney
- For Worse or For Worst, Guns Rule
- The Donald Backs The Mitt
- The Case for Mitt Romney
- Romney Running Against Economic Recovery
- Ron Paul's Appealing to Mormons
- Playing with Fire
- Profiting from the Pentagon
- Super PACs: Hypocrisy and Necessity
- The Sad Spectacle of Obama's Super PAC
- Obama Has It Right on Birth Control
- Save the Babies
- Republicans Enjoy the Health Care They'd Deny to the Rest
- War Through Weakness?
- Liberals are the True Aggressors in Culture Wars
- Nearing a Decision on Iran
- Newt Gingrich's Alinsky Claims Miss Their Mark
- Newt Gingrich's Secret Alinsky Love
- The un-Obama
- The President's 'Social Gospel'
- War Against Mexican Drug Cartels Needs New Focus
- Globalizing Private Sector, Government Overwhelmed by Corporate Money
- America's Constitutional Paralysis
- When It Comes to Taxes, No One Has Defined 'Fair'
- Mitt Romney is the Type Americans Want to Empower Economically
- A Flat Tax Is the Answer
- Punishing the Rich Is a Mistake
- Increase Capital Gains Tax, Decrease Corporate Tax
- Warren Buffett Is Right
- Europe Needs a Marshall Plan
- World Views: Niall Ferguson Interview
- Wealthy Tax Cheats
- The 1 Percent Candidate
- Larry Sabato Warns of Electoral 'Newt-Mare'
- The Hottest TV Drama in 2012
- Trailing Newt Gingrich Makes Plea for Votes
- Newt Gingrich Looks For Winning Strategy
- Eisenhower's 'Military-Industrial Complex' and JFK's Inaugural
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Those Who Hated Him
- Do All the GOP Debates Matter?
- Will Dems Call New Tax Law 'The Romney Rule?'
- 'Buffett Rule' Could Create Unintended Consequences
- Why Swing State Republican Governors Will Get Obama Re-Elected
- State of the Union Speech Focuses on Middle Class Success
- Will Obama's Mortgage Refinance Plan Be D.O.A.?
- State of the Union Shows Few Opportunities for Congressional Action
- Obama Uses State of the Union Speech to Rebuff GOP Attacks
- Obama Channels Clinton in State of the Union
- Obama Crafted a Winning Message
- Winning Words, But Not a Winner
- Obama's Speech Will Be Forgotten
- State of the Union Was Typical for Election Year
- Obama's State of the Union Failed
- Incumbents Have History on Their Side
- Obama's Side of the Nation's Story
- Justice John Paul Stevens on How the Supreme Court Works
- There Is a Judicial Confirmation Crisis and the GOP Is Causing It
Pentagon Budget Ends Post-9/11 Era:
Ushers in Pacific Era
- Senator Puts Nuclear Arsenal in Doubt
- Management Tips Mitt Romney Can Use to Save His Campaign
- Rick Santorum's New Target: Gingrich's Reagan Credentials
- GOP Not As Split as the Media Wants You to Think
- Primary Primer: 5 Things to Know about Florida
- On Courting Public Sentiment
- Ike's Lessons for Obama
- Bill Clinton Says Gingrich 'Just Like Romney'
- Newt Gingrich: Buying Our Future
- The Off-the-Radar Congressional Targets of 2012
- Green Energy Investments Pay Off in the Long Run
- Investment in Clean Energy Production Is a Must
- It's Up to the Private Sector to Invest in New Technology
- Competition, Not Handouts, Should Determine Role of Green Energy
- Government Has a History Supporting Emerging Industries
- Green Energy Dramatically Benefits the Nation
- Subsidies for Green Energy Do Not Help American Consumers
- Super PACs: Destroy Our Future
- Super PACs: Super-sized Influence, Super Lack of Transparency
- Super PACs Are a Form of Political Participation
- Super PACs Need to Disclose Political Activity
- Super PACs Engage in More Positive Than Negative Messaging
- Super PACs Enhance Democracy
- Super PACs Make It Harder for Average Americans to be Heard
- Super PACs Level the Playing Field
- Super PACs Promote Attack Ads and Special Interests
- Dollar Democracy
- 2012 Election Will Decide Which New Wars Will Be Waged
- Why 2012 Will Be Obama-Clinton vs Romney-Rubio
- Revenge of the Internet Nerds
- The Decline of Public Good
- We Must Reignite America's Can-Do Spirit
Free Enterprise on Trial:
Who Bears the Risks?
- Mitt Romney Goes on the Offensive
- Bain Capitalism
- How a Populist Obama Can Win
- Obama: A Question of Priorities
- Newtzilla Conquers All?
- Gingrich Follows GOP Playbook on Racism
- Newt Gingrich as Insurgent
- Newt Gingrich: It's Complicated
- Gingrich and The Politics of Division
- Ron Paul: The Great Contrarian
- Ron Paul and Louis Farrakhan - Birds of a Feather?
- Ron Paul's Kooky Moment
- Ron Paul: Foolish Consistency or Just Foolishness?
- Trying to Stop Mitt Romney
- Mitt Romney's Authenticity Problem
- Romney's Big Problem: Hispanic Voters
- Romney's Lies: Mitt Romney Has a Truth Problem
- Romney's Wealth and Influence on the Campaign Trail
- Mitt Romney: Electability vs Likability
- Romney's Backward Views on States Rights
- Mitt Romney Must Win Battle of the Bloat
- Mitt Romney: People Inc.
- The Luck of Mitt Romney
- Romney's 'Mormon Question'
- Would Today's GOP Elect Ronald Reagan?
- Defense Spending: A Shovel-Ready Investment
- Don't Die Stupid
- Three Conservative Victories
- Not By Sight, But By Faith
- To Spur Economy, United States Must Reform Legal Immigration
- Five Reasons Rick Perry Failed
- Overthrow Wall Street
- Civilization in Reverse
- Momentum of Cynicism
- China's JFK moment
If American Manufacturers Keep Jobs, So Does Obama | Politics
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services