Damage to the Republican Brand
The man who has oddly described himself to be "severely conservative" stands on the brink of nomination despite the party base's general coolness toward him and despite the divisions in its ranks that frustrated his efforts to nail down the nomination for so long.
Santorum's candidacy, and to a lesser degree that of
This resistance to Romney resulted not simply from the bland candidate's failure to light a fire in Republican and independent hearts. It came also from strong doubts about his reliability on the litmus-test social issues that animate the tea party and evangelical groups now holding the whole
The challenge for Romney now is whether he can pivot to more centrist positions to appeal to moderate Republicans and independents without feeding further resistance from all those voters who took refuge or were true believers in the Santorum and Gingrich candidacies.
However, the bitter and mean-spirited charges that were exchanged among the leading
Through it all there were only a few unifying elements that offered the basis for post-nomination Republican unity. They were the goals of ousting
The first of these remains the best potential rallying point for Romney once he becomes the Republican nominee, as now seems certain. No matter what happens between now and November, including the impending
As for the economy, with the important exception of the continuing rise in gas prices at the pump, public laments about the economy appear to be softening somewhat in light of employment gains in the auto industry and selected other manufacturing occupations.
As strong as the animosity toward Obama may remain in the core of the
There was a time not too long ago when the
Read the latest political news.
- Companies Save Big On Corporate Taxes With the Help of Lobbyists
- Happy Anniversary, or Partisan Boasting?
- On Losing Control of the Message
- My Papers? No Thank You
- Pothole Nation
- Why Being 'On The Right Track' Isn't Enough
- The Poor as Collateral Damage
- The Real Deal About College Costs
- Damage to the Republican Brand
- The Freedom to Fear
- Mitt Romney's Presumption
- Mitt Romney's Borking Strategy
- Romney Courts the Right, Threatens Equality, with Bork
- The GOP's Money Man
- The Curse of Mitt Romney's Millions
- Catholicism and the GOP: An Awkward Tango
- More Class Warfare to Come in Presidential Campaign
- Give 'em 'L' Mitt!
- In Battle for Young Voters, Romney Should Play It Uncool
- Marco Rubio's False Promise
- Marco Rubio and the DREAM Act: He Walks on Eggs, Not Water
- Taking Mitt Romney's Measure
- Redbait and Switch: An Arms Race of Outrage
- Drafted into the Mommy Wars
- The War on Mommies
- Latest Salvo Fired in 'Mommy Wars'
- Mommy Wars: Issues vs. Distractions
- The Republican War on the Young
- Obama's Problem? His Record
- When Administrations Implode
- Stimulus Spending for Party Animals
- 'Buffet Rule' Is a Hypocritical Political Ploy
- 'Buffett Rule' Moves Us in the Right Direction
- 'Veep' Entertains, But Doesn't Hold Mirror to Reality of Office
- Worker-First Philosophy All Too Rare
- 'Say on Pay' Votes Battle Back Against Income Inequalities
- Why Fairness is Essential for Economic Growth
- How Everyone Else Pays for Big Business's Tax Breaks
- No Easy Solutions for Big Money in Politics
- GOP: That Great Enemy of Reason
- GOP's Presidential Plans in Peril if Economy Keeps Improving
- Mitt Romney's Woman Woes
Damage to the Republican Brand | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.