Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll
A new poll released shows President Barack Obama leading GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney 48 to 43 per cent among likely voters.
Obama's six-point swing from the previous survey by Fox News, which saw Romney ahead by a single point, is driven by the increased support by women and independents especially after the convention.
For all women voters, Obama leads Romney by 14 points and the gap becomes even wider among unmarried women to 38 points. The Democratic incumbent is also ahead by 18 points of the former Massachusetts governor for people earning below $50,000, 25 points among young voters under 30 years old and 89 points among African-American voters.
The data also showed a change in voter enthusiasm after the conventions with nearly two-thirds of each candidate's followers think it was extremely important for their candidate to win. Before the conventions, Romney supporters were 10 per cent more likely to say their candidate must secure victory in November's election than Obama supporters.
The president also enjoys a wide lead on many issues. Obama is trusted more by voters on foreign policy, Medicare, terrorism, health care and education -- leading between 8 and 14 points.
Romney leads Obama by 13 points on spending cuts, the only category where he is ahead.
The gap between the candidates is smaller on immigration (Obama up by 4 points), taxes (Obama ahead by 3 points), making the country more livable (Obama up by 2 points) and encouraging small business (Romney ahead by 2 points).
Both candidates are tied on key issues facing voters this election: "improving the economy" and "taking the country in the right direction".
Mitt Romney didn't mention Afghanistan, Al Qaeda or the troops in his convention speech and now the Obama campaign is playing that up to suggest Romney is unprepared to be Commander in Chief. Romney is fighting back including with a speech in Reno to the National Guard on 9/11 but Jay DeDapper says that every news cycle spent on this is a news cycle not about the economy which is bad for Romney
Obama Pounces on Romney Failing to Mention Afghanistan, Troops in Convention Speech
Read the latest political news.
- Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll
- Character, Policy and the Selection of Leaders
- The Politicization of Violence
- The Selling of American Democracy: The Perfect Storm
- Erasing W
- Losing Latino Votes
- The Party is Over: Longtime GOPer Dissects Modern Political Landscape
- Paul Ryan's Faux Populism
- Rise Up, Middle Class, Rise Up!
- A Modest Proposal: Three Weeks of Paid Vacation
- The Paul Ryan Choice
- Mitt Romney's Misguided Blue-Collar Voting Bloc
- What Mitt Romney Could Do to Connect with Hispanics
- Romney and the Republican Club
- Hurricane Isaac's Impact on the GOP
- Five Things Romney Needs from GOP convention
- The Goldwater Legacy
- Mitt Romney Risks 'Hispanic Debacle' in November
- Mitt Romney Runs Away from his Running Mate
- Paul Ryan's Magical Thinking
- Mitt Romney Finds Love in the GOP
- What Ryan Says About Romney
- Romney-Ryan: Real change
- Obama vs Romney: Meanest campaign ever?
- That's Joe Biden
- Mitt, More Gaffes Like This, Please
- Muzzle Mitt Romney on Taxes Now?
- A Debate About Debates
- Decoding Mitt Romney's Odd Humor
- After Romney Birth Certificate Joke, Dems Play the Race Card
- The 'Boring' 2012 Presidential Campaign
- Mitt Romney's 'Welfare Queen'
- Mitt Romney's Opportunity
- We're All Subsidizing Free Lunches for America's CEOs
- Washington, Are You Listening?
- Class Warfare
- Indefensible: The Truth About Pentagon Spending
- David Barton's Make-Believe Version of American History
- Onward Christian 'Teavangelicals'
- Campaigns Touch Briefly on the Wars
- 'Mad Dog' Harry Reid
- Republican Woes with Women
- Rape, Patriarchy and the Bomb
- Akin Offers Unflattering Glimpse of Widely Shared Republican Attitudes
- Todd Akin's 'Legitimate' Pain
- Todd Akin's Idiocy is Infectious
- Todd Akin's Ignorance Hardly Unique
- The Decline of Party Power
- Trapping Season
- Mitt Romney's 'Zero-Percenters'
- No More Boring White Guys for the GOP
- Eating America's Seed Corn
- Romney and Ryan Project Vague Foreign Policy
- A Storied Presidency
- There is No California
- The Koch Brothers' Moonshine
- No Need for a Witch Hunt Over Executive Pay
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.