Do We Want This Foolish Man?
Republican officeholders who are just as partisan as he is knew the right things to say. House Speaker
Senate Majority Leader
As for Romney, he went off half-cocked and called the administration's behavior "disgraceful." And since then, he has refused to back down.
"The president takes responsibility not just for the words that come from his mouth, but also for the words that come from his ambassadors, from his administration, from his embassies, from his
A moment like this, immediately after the death of a respected U.S. ambassador, is a time for Americans to pull together, in mourning and resolve -- not to use this tragedy for partisan advantage. Senator
To that end, President Obama immediately dispatched dozens of Marines to
Hordes of Egyptians were pouring over the embassy wall in
What would Romney have embassy officials do: Call the protestors in, with their firebombs and clubs, and invite them to watch the video -- as an example of free speech? No, instead, Wednesday morning, after he learned that Ambassador Stevens and three of his aides had been killed, he made matters worse.
"When our grounds are being attacked and breached," the "first response of
He went on to accuse the Obama administration of showing "sympathy with those who waged the attacks." Wisely, the Obama adminiastration declined to respond. Stevens was the first U.S. ambassador killed while on duty since 1979, when Ambassador
Certainly, the Arab reaction to the video was not right, fair or just. It also showed rank hypocrisy. Almost every day, the Arab press is filled with lurid anti-Semitic cartoons -- like one in
But after the Muhammad cartoon incident in
All of this is typical for Romney. He has proved over and over again he knows nothing whatsoever about diplomacy and foreign affairs.
At least we know Obama's foreign policies, like them or not. But Romney is hypocritical, deliberately vague -- or heedlessly self-interested. And every time he steps into this arena, he blunders. During his recent foreign trip, he insulted the British and then the Palestinians. Then in
Is this foolish man the one we want at our foreign policy helm?
Read the latest political news.
- A Memo to Mitt and Ann Romney
- Mitt Romney's Biggest Problem is His Own Party
- Mitt Romney Can Win By Doing One Thing
- Mitt Romney on the Spot
- Presidential Debates Present Opportunity and Peril for Mitt Romney
- The Presidential Debate: Look for the Plans, Not the Puns
- His Campaign Sliding, Mitt Romney Must Deliver in Debate
- The 'Self-Made' Hallucination of America's Rich
- Why Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are Going Down
- Four Reasons Why Mitt Romney Might Still Win
- America Needs Good Refs -- On the Gridiron and in Politics
- How the GOP Protects Its Falsehoods
- 2012 Election Could Mirror 1980 Race
- A GOP Civil War Simmers
- Mitt Romney Missed Big Chance with Latino Voters
- Mitt Romney's Losing Bid to Win the Latino Vote
- Does Political Discourse Need Geneva Conventions?
- Another Episode in Mitt Romney's Foreign Policy Follies
- Team Romney Doubles Down
- In Defense of the 47 Percent
- The High Cost of Mitt Romney's Candor
- It was a privilege, Mitt Romney
- The Obama Hare and Romney the Tortoise
- An American Shame that Both Candidates Ignore
- Revisiting Wilson's 'Truly Disadvantaged'
- The Poor: America's Forgotten Swing Voters
- Pragmatic Racism
- Mitt Romney's Taxes: Who Cares?
- Waffling on Obamacare will Not Help Mitt Romney
- Why They Call Bill Clinton 'Big Dog'
- Bill Clinton's Secret: Make Little Words Matter
- Bill Clinton Delivers
- Forward to What, Democrats?
- The New Obama Shows Muscle
- Words of Wisdom from a Nun
- Likable Mitt Romney
- Mitt Romney Misjudges Voters
- Mitt Romney's Troubling Pattern
- Mitt Romney's Party -- Checks OK, iPhones Not
- Distractions and Diversions
- The Self-Immolation of Mitt Romney
- The Latest Battle in the War on Voting
- Better Off Today? Don't Ask
- What has Obama Learned?
- Obama Sells Old Ideas as New
- Let George W Bush Be
- Do We Want This Foolish Man?
- Poor Visibility
- Paul Ryan Runs Into the Truth
- Team Romney's War Against Facts
- Both Parties Go to Extremes
- Candidates Have De-Emphasized Foreign Affairs
- Campaign 2012 in a Nutshell: Wrong Ideas vs No Ideas
- Memo to GOP: Demography is Destiny
- Tribe of Liberty
- The Price of Freedom
- Paul Ryan Calling the Kettle Black with Medicare Scare Tactics
- House of Representatives Armed with Irony
- Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll
- Character, Policy and the Selection of Leaders
- The Politicization of Violence
- The Selling of American Democracy: The Perfect Storm
- Losing Latino Votes
- The Party is Over: Longtime GOPer Dissects Modern Political Landscape
- Paul Ryan's Faux Populism
- Rise Up, Middle Class, Rise Up!
- A Modest Proposal: Three Weeks of Paid Vacation
- The Paul Ryan Choice
Do We Want This Foolish Man? | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc