Distractions and Diversions
There's another video, this one of
The video was reportedly "leaked" by
But the Obama campaign has had to deal with a "leak" of its own recently, namely the release of a 14-year-old audio recording of remarks supposedly made by then-Illinois State Sen. Obama at a conference in
Romney was correct when he told the donors, "Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income taxes." He was also right when he suggested that "...47 percent of the people ... will vote for the president no matter what" and that they "are dependent on government" and "believe that they are victims." Democrats are the party of government and the more people they addict to government the better for Democrats.
Romney refused to back down, but did admit his remarks had not been "elegantly stated." What he said was that a large number of people "...believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it." Who could credibly say otherwise when all we hear about are entitlements?
What Romney might have said was, "My policies will help people get jobs and earn a decent wage while President Obama's policies will cause more people to rely on government than on themselves."
I wonder what's going on behind closed doors at the Obama campaign, that, if recorded and published in a conservative magazine, would cause political damage to the president's re-election prospects? But we don't have to go behind the scenes. There is plenty already in the public arena, much of it ignored by mainstream media.
Will the same media that plays "gotcha" with Romney, advancing the viewpoint that he is incapable, or unwilling, to connect with "average" Americans, hold the president to the standards he set for himself? The president says he tried to "reach out" to Republicans, but they refused. What they refused to do was give in to big government and his tax-and-spend agenda. This is the way Democrats play the game: if you agree with them and compromise your principles, you are bipartisan. If you stick to your principles, you're a polarizer.
Do the promises Obama made four years ago still matter? They should, especially when he has failed to fulfill most of them. But don't look for the moderators of the upcoming debates to hold him accountable.
Perhaps Romney might reference Vice President Biden's recent remark. Romney, he said, "...thinks the middle class is
In light of the uprisings that have included the burning of American flags in the
With comments like these, there's no need to go behind closed doors. It's all out in the open.
Read the latest political news.
- United States Presidential Elections in Perspective
- Early Latino Turnout Could Swing Vote
- A Letter to Women Voters
- The Final Days, The Biggest Issue and The Clearest Choice
- Another Electoral College Nightmare?
- Why We're Still in Deep Trouble No Matter Who Wins The Presidency
- FEMA vs 'Romnesia'
- An Unscripted October Surprise
- Stormy Weather Politics
- Storm Saves Obama From Himself
- A Romney Presidency Would Erase Decades of Progress
- President Obama Has Earned Our Trust -- and Our Vote
- Conservatives Long for the Sad Days of Yesteryear
- The Key Election Factor -- Hispanic Turnout
- Presidential race will be 'all about turnout'
- Romney: Obama Victory Would Mean More Gridlock
- Obama: 'You Know I Tell the Truth'
- Romney Pledges Bipartisanship in Final Push
- Gaffes and Zingers, Highlights of Mitt Romney's Campaign
- Women Voters: Kingmakers in 2012
- Obama: 'We've Got More Work to Do'
- The Uncool President
- The 2012 Choice
- Busting Myths about Benghazi
- Benghazi -- No Mere 'October surprise'
- The Vanishing Act of Dubya
- Not an Easy Makeover for Florida Representative Allen West
- What Men of the GOP Don't Get About Rape and Abortion
- In GOP View, Life is Sacred ... Except When It's Not
- Romney the Wrong Man to Handle United States Foreign Policy
- Mitt Romney AWOL in Foreign Policy Debate
- How the Election Could Go Wrong for Romney
- Mitt Romney's Question-Mark Economy
- Will Money Talk?
- With Time Short, Obama and Romney Hit Key States
- Romney: One Campaign Taking on Water
- The Winning Road to 270
- Obama Blasts Romney in Foreign Policy Debate
- Foreign Affairs Debate Analysis
- Ann Coulter Calls President Obama Offensive Name
- What Did Ohioans Think of the Debate?
- A Vote for Election Day
- Principled Pragmatism Beats Bush-style Bluster
- Teacher Would Show 'Em How To Run A Debate
- Presidential Candidates Not Speaking the Same Language
- Foreign Policy Comes to the Fore
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Policy a Puzzle that Doesn't Fit Together
- Reality: Product of the Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy
- The Politics of Fear and the Party of Non-Voters
- Bainport: A Taste of the Romney Economy
- Billionaire Koch Brothers Try to Buy Court
- Mitt's Hubris Shows Through in Town Hall Debate
- Obama's Economic Spin: A New Pony or Manure?
- Moderators Must Push Debates Past Talking Points
- The Second Presidential Debate
- Mitt Romney's Case to Women Fails to Convince
- Mitt Romney's 'Binders' Bind
- Obama's Recovery
- Left Wants Multiculturalism to Trump Free Speech
- Needed: A New Foreign Policy
- Quit Blaming Bush
- A Bright and Shining Libyan Lie
- Florida's Amendment 8 An Assault on Church-State Separation
- VP Debate Winner? Barack Obama
- As Vice President Role Grows, Spotlight Becomes Brighter
- Biden vs Ryan: Old vs New
- Red, Blue and Faithful
- Presidential Debates Reveal More About the Candidates and Less
- A Memo to Mitt and Ann Romney
- Mitt Romney's Biggest Problem is His Own Party
- Mitt Romney Can Win By Doing One Thing
- Mitt Romney on the Spot
- Presidential Debates Present Opportunity and Peril for Mitt Romney
- The Presidential Debate: Look for the Plans, Not the Puns
- His Campaign Sliding, Mitt Romney Must Deliver in Debate
- The 'Self-Made' Hallucination of America's Rich
- Why Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are Going Down
- Four Reasons Why Mitt Romney Might Still Win
- America Needs Good Refs -- On the Gridiron and in Politics
- How the GOP Protects Its Falsehoods
- 2012 Election Could Mirror 1980 Race
- A GOP Civil War Simmers
- Mitt Romney Missed Big Chance with Latino Voters
- Mitt Romney's Losing Bid to Win the Latino Vote
- Does Political Discourse Need Geneva Conventions?
- Another Episode in Mitt Romney's Foreign Policy Follies
- Team Romney Doubles Down
- In Defense of the 47 Percent
- The High Cost of Mitt Romney's Candor
- It was a privilege, Mitt Romney
- The Obama Hare and Romney the Tortoise
- An American Shame that Both Candidates Ignore
- Revisiting Wilson's 'Truly Disadvantaged'
- The Poor: America's Forgotten Swing Voters
- Pragmatic Racism
- Mitt Romney's Taxes: Who Cares?
- Waffling on Obamacare will Not Help Mitt Romney
- Why They Call Bill Clinton 'Big Dog'
- Bill Clinton's Secret: Make Little Words Matter
- Bill Clinton Delivers
- Forward to What, Democrats?
- The New Obama Shows Muscle
- Words of Wisdom from a Nun
- Likable Mitt Romney
- Mitt Romney Misjudges Voters
- Mitt Romney's Troubling Pattern
- Mitt Romney's Party -- Checks OK, iPhones Not
- Distractions and Diversions
- The Self-Immolation of Mitt Romney
- The Latest Battle in the War on Voting
- Better Off Today? Don't Ask
- What has Obama Learned?
- Obama Sells Old Ideas as New
- Let George W Bush Be
- Do We Want This Foolish Man?
- Poor Visibility
- Paul Ryan Runs Into the Truth
- Team Romney's War Against Facts
- Both Parties Go to Extremes
- Candidates Have De-Emphasized Foreign Affairs
- Campaign 2012 in a Nutshell: Wrong Ideas vs No Ideas
- Memo to GOP: Demography is Destiny
- Tribe of Liberty
- The Price of Freedom
- Paul Ryan Calling the Kettle Black with Medicare Scare Tactics
- House of Representatives Armed with Irony
- Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll
- Character, Policy and the Selection of Leaders
- The Politicization of Violence
- The Selling of American Democracy: The Perfect Storm
- Losing Latino Votes
- The Party is Over: Longtime GOPer Dissects Modern Political Landscape
- Paul Ryan's Faux Populism
- Rise Up, Middle Class, Rise Up!
- A Modest Proposal: Three Weeks of Paid Vacation
- The Paul Ryan Choice
Distractions and Diversions | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc