Candidates Have De-Emphasized Foreign Affairs
Foreign affairs have fallen off the map for both major presidential candidates. Their convention speeches made that clear, even though our relations with the rest of the world have a direct, undeniable bearing on the economic issues that both candidates have placed at the center of their campaigns.
There can be no greater example of that indifference than the Democrats' failure to note in their platform that the party recognizes
No one but Islamic extremists argues that
That position doesn't cost the nation any money, of course, but so many other foreign issues do, particularly
"A 23-year-old soldier from
As he has on so many things, Romney flip-flopped on
What's this have to do with the economy? The U.S. has spent more than
In his own speech, President Obama boasted: "We've blunted the Taliban's momentum in
Not so. Under Obama's plan, even after 2014 the U.S. will maintain roughly 10,000 to 15,000 troops there indefinitely, at a continuing cost of uncounted billions. And since the Pentagon acknowledges that Afghan soldiers are incapable of fighting on their own, we may still see American fatalities.
As for blunting the Taliban's momentum, every expert I have spoken to tells me the insurgents are simply in waiting across the border in
Think about the other foreign issues that cost America big money, like the European debt crisis. As
Want to get the American economy working again? Find a way to help the Europeans. Admittedly, that's not easy. When Obama suggested they should stimulate their economies rather than continuing to insist on austerity, the Germans rebuked him.
Well, Romney didn't mention
"Business and growing jobs is about taking risk, sometimes failing, sometimes succeeding, but always striving," he did say. How about striving to help
With Obama, at least we know his foreign affairs policies, whether or not you like them. But Romney is hypocritical or deliberately vague. And every time he steps into this arena, he blunders. During his recent foreign trip, he insulted the British and then the Palestinians. Then, in
Is this who we want at our foreign policy helm?
Read the latest political news.
- A Memo to Mitt and Ann Romney
- Mitt Romney's Biggest Problem is His Own Party
- Mitt Romney Can Win By Doing One Thing
- Mitt Romney on the Spot
- Presidential Debates Present Opportunity and Peril for Mitt Romney
- The Presidential Debate: Look for the Plans, Not the Puns
- His Campaign Sliding, Mitt Romney Must Deliver in Debate
- The 'Self-Made' Hallucination of America's Rich
- Why Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are Going Down
- Four Reasons Why Mitt Romney Might Still Win
- America Needs Good Refs -- On the Gridiron and in Politics
- How the GOP Protects Its Falsehoods
- 2012 Election Could Mirror 1980 Race
- A GOP Civil War Simmers
- Mitt Romney Missed Big Chance with Latino Voters
- Mitt Romney's Losing Bid to Win the Latino Vote
- Does Political Discourse Need Geneva Conventions?
- Another Episode in Mitt Romney's Foreign Policy Follies
- Team Romney Doubles Down
- In Defense of the 47 Percent
- The High Cost of Mitt Romney's Candor
- It was a privilege, Mitt Romney
- The Obama Hare and Romney the Tortoise
- An American Shame that Both Candidates Ignore
- Revisiting Wilson's 'Truly Disadvantaged'
- The Poor: America's Forgotten Swing Voters
- Pragmatic Racism
- Mitt Romney's Taxes: Who Cares?
- Waffling on Obamacare will Not Help Mitt Romney
- Why They Call Bill Clinton 'Big Dog'
- Bill Clinton's Secret: Make Little Words Matter
- Bill Clinton Delivers
- Forward to What, Democrats?
- The New Obama Shows Muscle
- Words of Wisdom from a Nun
- Likable Mitt Romney
- Mitt Romney Misjudges Voters
- Mitt Romney's Troubling Pattern
- Mitt Romney's Party -- Checks OK, iPhones Not
- Distractions and Diversions
- The Self-Immolation of Mitt Romney
- The Latest Battle in the War on Voting
- Better Off Today? Don't Ask
- What has Obama Learned?
- Obama Sells Old Ideas as New
- Let George W Bush Be
- Do We Want This Foolish Man?
- Poor Visibility
- Paul Ryan Runs Into the Truth
- Team Romney's War Against Facts
- Both Parties Go to Extremes
- Candidates Have De-Emphasized Foreign Affairs
- Campaign 2012 in a Nutshell: Wrong Ideas vs No Ideas
- Memo to GOP: Demography is Destiny
- Tribe of Liberty
- The Price of Freedom
- Paul Ryan Calling the Kettle Black with Medicare Scare Tactics
- House of Representatives Armed with Irony
- Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll
- Character, Policy and the Selection of Leaders
- The Politicization of Violence
- The Selling of American Democracy: The Perfect Storm
- Losing Latino Votes
- The Party is Over: Longtime GOPer Dissects Modern Political Landscape
- Paul Ryan's Faux Populism
- Rise Up, Middle Class, Rise Up!
- A Modest Proposal: Three Weeks of Paid Vacation
- The Paul Ryan Choice
Candidates Have De-Emphasized Foreign Affairs | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc