Ladies, remember what your mothers told you about men who regard women as sex objects? They're no good.
Keep that in mind when pondering the
Why is so much prime time attention being paid to
They have fought strenuously to defund Planned Parenthood, to pass laws that treat abortion patients cruelly, to regulate the procedure into oblivion, and to use the issue as a monkey wrench to shut down legislation that has nothing to do with it (the ploy almost succeeded in the fight against President Obama's health care reform bill).
Now comes an obscure congressman running for
The elephants are now in full stampede away from Rep.
Along with Akin, Rep.
More than 200 other House Republicans marched in lockstep and voted for it, along with a handful of Democrats. All who supported this outrageous pettifogging of something as serious as rape need to be held accountable.
Still, if women concentrate on these outrages alone, we will fail to address other crucial women's issues: equal pay, freedom from workplace discrimination, access to health care, a working social safety net, and a healthy
Nevertheless, if elected president, Romney will have the power to fill vacancies on the
If Romney and Ryan win, look for them to undo the automatic defense spending cuts set to go into effect in January and replace them with cuts to programs that affect single mothers disproportionately, such as
This year's election ought to be about women getting respect. We deserve to be spoken to by politicians in ways that encompass all of us -- head to toe, mind and body, birth to old age.
And yet, for all this talk of "war" and treating women as victims, here's a point people are overlooking: In 2012, women are competing to win more seats in
More female candidates are on ballots than any year in American history.
How they fare in November, and then in
Read the latest political news.
- Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll
- Character, Policy and the Selection of Leaders
- The Politicization of Violence
- The Selling of American Democracy: The Perfect Storm
- Erasing W
- Losing Latino Votes
- The Party is Over: Longtime GOPer Dissects Modern Political Landscape
- Paul Ryan's Faux Populism
- Rise Up, Middle Class, Rise Up!
- A Modest Proposal: Three Weeks of Paid Vacation
- The Paul Ryan Choice
- Mitt Romney's Misguided Blue-Collar Voting Bloc
- What Mitt Romney Could Do to Connect with Hispanics
- Romney and the Republican Club
- Hurricane Isaac's Impact on the GOP
- Five Things Romney Needs from GOP convention
- The Goldwater Legacy
- Mitt Romney Risks 'Hispanic Debacle' in November
- Mitt Romney Runs Away from his Running Mate
- Paul Ryan's Magical Thinking
- Mitt Romney Finds Love in the GOP
- What Ryan Says About Romney
- Romney-Ryan: Real change
- Obama vs Romney: Meanest campaign ever?
- That's Joe Biden
- Mitt, More Gaffes Like This, Please
- Muzzle Mitt Romney on Taxes Now?
- A Debate About Debates
- Decoding Mitt Romney's Odd Humor
- After Romney Birth Certificate Joke, Dems Play the Race Card
- The 'Boring' 2012 Presidential Campaign
- Mitt Romney's 'Welfare Queen'
- Mitt Romney's Opportunity
- We're All Subsidizing Free Lunches for America's CEOs
- Washington, Are You Listening?
- Class Warfare
- Indefensible: The Truth About Pentagon Spending
- David Barton's Make-Believe Version of American History
- Onward Christian 'Teavangelicals'
- Campaigns Touch Briefly on the Wars
- 'Mad Dog' Harry Reid
- Republican Woes with Women
- Rape, Patriarchy and the Bomb
- Akin Offers Unflattering Glimpse of Widely Shared Republican Attitudes
- Todd Akin's 'Legitimate' Pain
- Todd Akin's Idiocy is Infectious
- Todd Akin's Ignorance Hardly Unique
- The Decline of Party Power
- Trapping Season
- Mitt Romney's 'Zero-Percenters'
- No More Boring White Guys for the GOP
- Eating America's Seed Corn
- Romney and Ryan Project Vague Foreign Policy
- A Storied Presidency
- There is No California
- The Koch Brothers' Moonshine
- No Need for a Witch Hunt Over Executive Pay
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
Akin Offers Unflattering Glimpse of Widely Shared Republican Attitudes | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.